Life Without my RenaultSport

Tom

Platinum Member
Yesterday, Renault gave me a 1.2 Fiesta (61 plate) courteously car.

I immediately thought "Well, if that isn't admitting defeat - what is?".

Shortly after, it took me the best part of two minutes to realise how much I missed my Clio and that this Fiesta was like steering a ship powered by an AA battery.

On my way home, a large 50mph roundabout felt like it was testing the limits of the Fiestas stability at 40mph - an island I can easily do 70 over in the Clio.

HOWEVER! Despite the slowest 0-60 ever, it put a massive grin on my chops to thrash it around constantly at its limit.

So, to an extent, James May was right on last week's Top Gear: Driving this Fiesta on the edge of its ability is a good laugh as it's so easy! But, with that said, although it's fun to rape the 75 BHP beast :smile:rofl:smile:, it's just not the same as the Clio because it lacks the OOFFFFTTT factor of a low, sharp and quick car like my beloved Clio.

Moving on...

Our line-up of cars at work is A 2003 Type R, a 2009 Type R, a 2010 TT RS and a 2006 911 and I never let my GF take me anywhere in her Purple Flowered-Up Nissan Micra so it came as a shock when I experienced something else - something unheard of - something... Weird?...

Someone told me it was comfort? Sounds preposterous to me - never heard of it. All I knew was that speed bumps at 30MPH were a good lol.

So, in all honesty, it made me think that I should get a second car for regular weekday driving.

The only problem being, I never felt like I was "driving" the Fiesta. It's effortless - you just float to and from your location in silence.

And it was then that I decided that this "comfort" stuff was for women and kids.

And as a result (and in a nutshell), the last 24 hours made me realise just how awesome my Clio is and how I miss it so bad already!

--

For anyone wondering:

My car is off the road because the handbrake kept sticking on in the low temperatures last week and eventually the cable gave up. I took it into the Renault and they said it wasn't covered by the warranty and I had to pay for it. I said that was stupid, asked what the warranty was for and promptly threaded to call Renault UK to which their immediate reaction was to offer to pay two thirds of the cost for the parts and labour.

The car was due out Yesterday, but they ordered the wrong cable and said the car was in bits and I was better off having a courteously car for the next five days until the new cable arrives.

Since then, I've realised that it's not financially logical to give me a hire car for five days as it will only take a mechanic one hours labour to reassemble the car. So, I am guessing they've broken the car in some way and aren't telling me...

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more.

I am currently in a T reg 1.2 Clio whilst my 200 is having a few bits done. And I literally cannot wait to have my car back.

I try drive something else at any opportunity as the 1.2 is so painful!

Maybe it's something those 'bored' with thier clios should do?!

What I find is I can drive ANY car happily but when I get back in to the 200 I realise how well set up it is. The first thing I notice is the feel from the steering wheel.

Ive had a few twingo's after my car has been in and yes they are quite nippy too but you dont actually realize what you have sometimes until you have drove something else. Ive had the bored feeling only a few times now and the other halves new shape ka has to be driven for a few days to bring back that love feeling, lol

Try being with out it for 16 months you just want to get in and not stop till there's no juice left in

I enjoyed reading that Tom!!! :smiley:

I took Nicole out today for the first time in a week, my God I'd missed her. Don't know how you're still sane Roy, looking out the window and seeing her parked there but not being able to do anything about it. It must be like coming home to find Megan Fox in her best dirt-knickers and not being able to get the little chap to stand up. :worried:

A little off topic, but I take it Renault are paying for your courtesy car Tom? If so, which garage did you take your clio in to?

Like Clio said above what garage is your car with. Every time my car was with harrats Renault Wakefield they wanted me to pay for the "courtesy" car (in quotes because if I'm paying for it surely it's a RENTAL!?).

And I got that line sooo many times about ordering the wrong parts, they once had my car for two weeks to do a one/two day job and insisted I pay for the "courtesy" (*cough RENTAL cough*).

One of the many reasons I don't use Renault delearships anymore and why I doubt I'll buy another new/newish Renault again...

Ive had a few twingo's after my car has been in and yes they are quite nippy too but you dont actually realize what you have sometimes until you have drove something else. Ive had the bored feeling only a few times now and the other halves new shape ka has to be driven for a few days to bring back that love feeling, lol

"I'm bored of my Clio"
- SACRALIDGE! I am sentencing you to five days in a Twingo.
:nope:

A little off topic, but I take it Renault are paying for your courtesy car Tom? If so, which garage did you take your clio in to?

I am with Renault Cannock. They're decent guys - the manager personally looked after me and my VW caught fire and I've had two Renaults off them since.

I enjoyed reading that Tom!!! :smiley:

I took Nicole out today for the first time in a week, my God I'd missed her. Don't know how you're still sane Roy, looking out the window and seeing her parked there but not being able to do anything about it. It must be like coming home to find Megan Fox in her best dirt-knickers and not being able to get the little chap to stand up. :worried:
Cheers man. :smiley:

Imagine that - Megan in yer bed and your little man refusing to work! I imagine it'd be like that scene from the Inbetweeners when Simon ends up slapping it into action... >.<

Hahahaha :rofl:

On a less penis-related note:

This Fiestas sixth gear is broken! Every time I go for it, it makes a horrible crunching noise and rejects it! How unusual..... ¬.¬

Hahahahaha one of the finest comdey scenes of recent years!!! :smiley:

On the Fiesta front, f?ck it it's not yours, just keep it in 2nd. :smiley:

Lol it's reverse... :wink: I guess sarcasm isn't well portrayed via text lol.

I've proper thrashed it today going down country lanes. Hit almost every puddle I could see and now it's brown with hints of blue. :smiley: Great fun!

My missus didn't appreciate the hand-break turns - she poked herself in the eye 'cause she didn't expect one. I had to pull over until I stopped laughing hahaha. :rofl:

Do renault do this regularly?

Mine was in for tracking and the rear seats to be finally cleaned, they told me they wanted it for half a day.

Two and a half days later before i got it back and then they'd not cleaned the seats.

Got to agree with all that is said - don't drive the car for a week and when you do :clap:

As for the 'comfort' thing, non cup pack is the way to go on that!! Still turns in corners very well but actually goves over bumps rather than through them!!!!

[Off topic]

I am with Renault Cannock. They're decent guys - the manager personally looked after me.

Interesting! I struggled to get a courtesy car when I had my gearbox synchro's replaced, they use Enterprise just by the Ramada hotel behind the dealership - at a cost to you at around £25 a day.

Went there on Wednesday after I had the car serviced at BTM, Fred said the inner track rod was knackered, so left it with Renault and they diagnosed a new top mount bearing was needed, a warranty part, no questions asked. Can't get a courtesy car so having to to take it in on a day off! Although they valeted it inside and out, much appreciated!

Much better service this time than previous times, but courtesy car's should be supplied and time will tell whether they actually fix the car...

12 months with an r26, and since August with a 182 as well still leaves me with a need for a replacement 197 ( never a 200 )

It's starting to look like Renault do this regularly... >.<

Well, my car was originally due back Friday but they "mis-ordered" the the parts and said it would be done today.

This morning, I called them (bad start) and they told me there's another two days delay.

I can't take much more of this Fiesta!