LED sidelights - That work!?

Hi guys,

Recently fitted a set of LED sidelight and numberplate bulbs to my 197, and they lasted about 2 hours worth of driving before they started flickering and some of the 5 LED's on them wouldn't light up... Click to play below - Strobe effect :/

th_20131110_173145.jpg

These were the ones I went for:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360766394126?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I thought they looked better than most as they have some proper metal connections on the base rather than the little bits of bent wire seen on some. I can't see anything wrong with them, they look decent quality...

So i'm looking at spending a bit more to get some which work this time. I'm buying some HID's from HID's Direct soon, they sell LED bulbs which look exactly like what i've bought, but for about 6 times the price - Are they the same do you think?

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/501-error-free-5-smd-led-sidelights-bulbs-1/

Also found these, i'm more tempted by these as although they have the bent wire connections on the bases, they come with 1 year warrenty:

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/501-led-extreme-power-1.5w-360-degree-white-blue-red-amber.html

Anybody got some links to LED sidelight bulbs that actually work? Preferably with warranty as I don't want to be left £30 out of pocket buying the expensive ones if they don't work.

Tbf those that you brought are canbus one, which the clio doesnt need, ive used the ones from
autobulbsdirect and they are good and do last, i brought the ones youve linked and the longer ones.

I've have the bottom ones (well I'm 99% sure they're the bottom ones) from Auto bulbs direct in mine at the moment as my numberplate bulbs. I've had them in for well over a year now without issue.

Was speaking to a mechanic about the flickering because mine were doing it. He said its canbus ones that have to be used. Can remember the reason but something to do with resistors.

nope canbus ones are used in cars with canbus headlights to stop the headlight fault coming up on the dash, clio doesnt need them, ive never used them in the clio or the megane. probably just cheap ass or faulty bulbs

Try here.

New sidelight bulbs fitted instead of the blue-ish ones shown in the pictures. They do not flicker and pass MOT tests.

http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?37529-Just-fitted

Gam, your thread was the one that originally made me look into the LED sidelights, but as mentioned in your thread those bulbs still seem hit and miss. Stevoox says in that thread that his LED's started flickering the same as mine. Looks like he's changed to some crisp white ones now and they look good!

This ^ is a great thread! Think I'm going to get myself some M-Tec Cosmo Blue bulbs, they look pretty good.

For the OP - the LEDs sold in this thread look pretty good.. http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?25641-Pairs-of-LEDs

Thanks, I found that thread too. Nice prices at £12 for 20 bulbs, but unfortunately carbonfanatics has been offline for months and not responded to my emails to him; so looks like thats a no go.

Seems like the autobulbsdirect ones are a safe bet, but the price is a bit off putting - Nearly £30 for 4 led bulbs...

I also looked into canbus vs non canbus and it shouldn't make a difference fitting canbus bulbs to a non canbus car, but it looks like most of the bulbs people are having problems with are canbus ones. So think i'll go for some non canbus ones which i've found are the ones with the bent wire connections on the bases.

I may try a set of these ones:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-XENON-...=100010&prg=1013&rk=3&rkt=15&sd=161032439544&

Supposedly crisp white light, £4.69 a pair with 1 year warranty and over 3000 sold - Must be something good about them.

If they don't work properly i'll assume every LED sidelight on ebay is cheap knockoff crap, admit defeat and fork out for the autobulbsdirect versions :smile:

Just my 10ps worth I bought my kit from meg sport think they are the same as carbon fanatics I have a couple of spare led's if you want to cover the postage I'll send them 2 you to try :thumbup:

Just drop rip me a pm if you want them

Was just about to post along the same lines are Deadmau5.

You want 'CREE' LED bulbs, they throw light so much better than the 5 stack type ones.

iv got led side light and nubmer plate ones both canbus on my car look really good got them from autobulbs I also had led indicators as well they were so bright but had to change them back as they was flashing to fast tried non canbus and canbus

Just my 10ps worth I bought my kit from meg sport think they are the same as carbon fanatics I have a couple of spare led's if you want to cover the postage I'll send them 2 you to try :thumbup:

Just drop rip me a pm if you want them

Thanks mate, i've order some more to try off ebay which look the same as the carbon fanatics ones. I'll try them and see how I get on first - No point taking them off you if i'm not going to use them :thumbsup:

Was just about to post along the same lines are Deadmau5.

You want 'CREE' LED bulbs, they throw light so much better than the 5 stack type ones.

Had a quick look and the CREE ones look pretty good brightness wise, look like they've got a lens on them to focus the LED.

I'd want some with more than just one LED on the front though, I like the 360 degree ones like what I bought because they work well with the reflector to light up the whole headlight

Thanks mate, i've order some more to try off ebay which look the same as the carbon fanatics ones. I'll try them and see how I get on first - No point taking them off you if i'm not going to use them :thumbsup:

Can you report back with whether they work with no flickering etc please? I messaged the guy on eBay and he recommended the CANbus version of the ones you bought.. but I'm not convinced!

Can you report back with whether they work with no flickering etc please? I messaged the guy on eBay and he recommended the CANbus version of the ones you bought.. but I'm not convinced!

Yep will do.

I've just fitted them today, they're much whiter than the previous ones and so far no flickering or dodgy LED's, but we'll see how they last