New Mtec HIDS and LED sidelights

Sidelights I'm happy with. The previous ones were non existent daytime.

image_zps91fc2687.jpg

headlights I'm not too sure about... Better than manufacturer standard but maybe not white enough. They're 4.5k
Picture is crap because they're so bright!
image_zps5b692651.jpg

They look quite blue, what Mtec ones did you get?

Also what LED's did you go for? I've used a few types and the ones I've currently got in have started to flicker

The sidelights are fine, but I'd probably get rid of those headlight bulbs bulbs to be honest.

They're not a true HID bulb, just high powered Halogen bulbs with a blue tint on the glass to make them look whiter. A proper HID will come as a kit with 2 bulbs, wiring and ballast's too and the headlight cover needs modifying to fit them etc.

Those bulbs you've got are 100 watt, standard bulbs are 55 watt. So your putting nearly double the amount of amps through the standard wiring, which it wasn't designed to take. The standard wiring may well take double its designed current draw, but it will definitely be producing a lot more heat. I've seen some 100 watt bulbs actually begin to damage the headlight casing because they get so much hotter.

The bulbs are 55w (ie they only draw 55 watts of power) but they produce the same light output as a bulb that draws 100 watt of power. That's what it's saying on the box, or so I've been told by a few different people. I don't speak Japanese so I do stand to be corrected on this.

Last edited:
Oh I see, I just saw 100w on the box and thought that was the wattage.

If they're still standard 55w then they should be fine. You won't get much whiter without going for a proper HID kit.

No 100W will be giving of more light and more heat, hence why its drawing more power. If you want to compare brightness thou you look at lumens a bulb gives out not power it draws as alot of power is wasted through heat.
i would be taking them out as theres a good chance it will melt the lense.

My brother bought some mTec bulbs to get a more Blue colour. His opinion was that "I can't believe they sell them, they're almost dangerous, the actual light output is so poor. They look great, but you can't see the road". If I were you, I'd get some osram nightbreaker plus or some ring xenon ultimate or Philips Diamond vision etc.

My brother bought some mTec bulbs to get a more Blue colour. His opinion was that "I can't believe they sell them, they're almost dangerous, the actual light output is so poor. They look great, but you can't see the road". If I were you, I'd get some osram nightbreaker plus or some ring xenon ultimate or Philips Diamond vision etc.
Yep, visibility is awful

the night breakers I used as high beam, weren't a white light but very good visibility. The ring xenon yltate I've got as high beam in the meg, again great vidBulity but not white light.

In the dipped beam I've got Phillips blue vision xenon Tate and same again, not white enough but good visability. As said, think I'll try diamond vision

I think I need new bulbs also as although face-on the MTEC look great, and when the road is clear they're pretty good. But when cars are coming the other way I can't see a bloody thing.