Knocking

lild-200cup

Paid Member
Hi all I keep hearing a knocking noise coming from the back of my car (200cup) when I'm driving it doesn't do it all the time. I don't actually no where it's coming from just wondered if any of you have had the same?? Could it be the exhaust hitting something or suspension?
Cheers dan

boot lock.
was a common fault on 197's.even though it feels tight.
need to move the catch(not the lock) to make the boot pull in tighter.

Parcel shelf?

I'll have a look today but I only really noticed it when came bk from Renault after some Warrenty work and the bloke came out in the car with me and pointed it out and said that it was the suspension shock working I did have a little chuckle to myself lol but surely it can't be the suspension could it :s ????

well if a salesman said it, you can be assured it was utter boll*cks!!
when suspension shocks (dampers) work - they don't knock no.

Interesting you mention this,as my 200 has started doing it. Mine does it over uneven road surfaces; I thought it was the exhaust knocking so took it to Renault. Mech had a look and said exhaust was fine, he showed me what he thought it was. He had the rear diffuser unbolted, and there was a metal heat shield on top of it, he hit the diffuser and the heat shield would bounce / tap / knock the plastic diffuser. He said it was nothing to worry about. I was pleased and drove off. Later I thought - it wasn't making this noise when new, so why now? I think he had seen the same problem before because he described to me exacty the circumstances in which it happens. I hope there is nothing to worry about, I hope Jase is right and it's the boot lock. Can you give any more info lild?

Interesting you mention this,as my 200 has started doing it. Mine does it over uneven road surfaces; I thought it was the exhaust knocking so took it to Renault. Mech had a look and said exhaust was fine, he showed me what he thought it was. He had the rear diffuser unbolted, and there was a metal heat shield on top of it, he hit the diffuser and the heat shield would bounce / tap / knock the plastic diffuser. He said it was nothing to worry about. I was pleased and drove off. Later I thought - it wasn't making this noise when new, so why now? I think he had seen the same problem before because he described to me exacty the circumstances in which it happens. I hope there is nothing to worry about, I hope Jase is right and it's the boot lock. Can you give any more info lild?

yh mine does it on uneven surfaces aswell!! it ok him saying there nothing to worry bout but its bl***y annoying!! it was the mechanic who did the warrenty work on my car when it went in and said it was the shock working lol. and mine didnt do it when i first got it either so dont understand it shouls start doing it now and really not expecting this on a brand new car!! i ringing renault tomoro to book it in for them to have a look at it!! ill let you no what they say!! cheers for ya help

Boot lid as Jase said. Common problem, even though it feels fine. It's an arse to get the right medium between being able to close the boot lid easily and not having the knocking. But the dealer will just greese it and do nothing else if they are the same as Renault Wolves!

Boot lid as Jase said. Common problem, even though it feels fine. It's an arse to get the right medium between being able to close the boot lid easily and not having the knocking. But the dealer will just greese it and do nothing else if they are the same as Renault Wolves!

how can i find out if this is actually the problem??

Some members have wrapped a bit of electrical tape around the catch to stop the knocking but this is only really a temporary fix, so could try that.

Its actually this bit that knocks against the pin.........

fix1.jpg

As you might be able to see from the pic i stuck some blue rubber in there. Cured it 100%

Or try rattling the rear seats........ sometimes were they mount (here)

fix2.jpg

The plastic 'bush' can split. I re covered them with some rubber pipe, again sorted it.

Last edited:
took the car back to the dealer today and they looked at it and said that it was the exhaust knocking against something and need a clamp to be adjusted, apparently it has been resolved will find out tomoro when i pick it up! thanks for the help anyway guys :thumbup:

Its the rear seats on mine, they knock on the hinges that fold the seats forwards

Mine did this on my 182, easy to sort, just wrap one layer of electrical tape round the silver 'U' catch and it takes the play out of it and stops the rattle.

Any ideas how to permanently stop the boot lock from knocking - applying grease to it or some guys mentioned wraping it with tape (do you wrap the whole lock or?)

Thanks!

Any ideas how to permanently stop the boot lock from knocking - applying grease to it or some guys mentioned wraping it with tape (do you wrap the whole lock or?)

Thanks!

remove the boot trim, undo the catch bar (2 x torx pins) and move the catch inwards. that way the boot is tighter to the seals of the boot thus no knocking.