k-tec turbo conversion???!!1

so im in the petrol tation late last night and flicking throught performance car magazine and near the back k-tec advertisment stating they do a turbo conversion for the 197 however looking on the site doesn't seem to be there

Think its a low pressure turbo and its currently in development, or it was a few months back when I spoke to someone at K-tec, maybe they havent updated their website as yet.

Think its a low pressure turbo and its currently in development, or it was a few months back when I spoke to someone at K-tec, maybe they havent updated their website as yet.

yes was a low pressure conversion and your probably right they havent updated the site

havent seen anything performance wise just the add in the magazine mate might have to phone k-tec and confirm this as nothing is on the site but advertised in the mag

Would be very interesting to have a turbo in a 197...I'm just afraid of the torque that our gear box can handle.

Boosting the standard 197 engine is a waste of time imo. for similar money you could drop in a meggy r26 engine and get a reliable 250bhp with a standard engine and a remap.

Boosting the standard 197 engine is a waste of time imo. for similar money you could drop in a meggy r26 engine and get a reliable 250bhp with a standard engine and a remap.

AFAIK, there's a problem with the R26 gear box and space for it.

I'm really considering doing something like this in the next 1-2 years...

i have looked in to this, if u r gonna go for an r26 engine u might as well go for the box as it come with LSD standard, the engine and box should fit in, i have TOTD size it up and it should all fit, but the wiring loom will need replacing as the r26 engine and ecm can not run on the clio wiring loom

i have looked in to this, if u r gonna go for an r26 engine u might as well go for the box as it come with LSD standard, the engine and box should fit in, i have TOTD size it up and it should all fit, but the wiring loom will need replacing as the r26 engine and ecm can not run on the clio wiring loom

Hmmmmmmmh......you really got me going now :001_tt1:...wonder why didn't anyone do this till now?

engine conversions without standalone are a major waste of time, and a big compromise IMO. The k-tec low boost turbo is worth looking at, but AFAIK there's a bit of development to be finished before it's "pushed". You wont do a 225 engine install for anything like the money

engine conversions without standalone are a major waste of time, and a big compromise IMO. The k-tec low boost turbo is worth looking at, but AFAIK there's a bit of development to be finished before it's "pushed". You wont do a 225 engine install for anything like the money

I would definitely go for a SA ECU if I ever decide to go with it - forged internals, Forge IC, remap, custom exhaust, aquamist with methanol injection,...

You are saying that it would be too expensive? How much would the KTech kit cost?

I think that a conversion like I would like to do would cost me 5-7000€ (engine & gearbox 2000€, SA 1300€, exhaust 800€, forged internals 800€, work another 1000€,...).

But if the KTR kit would cost 2-3000€ it would be very tempting. Of course, depending of the specs - I wouldn't pay 2-3000€ for 20-30bhp, but for 40-50bhp...8)

because thwe wiring loom is such a pain in the backside, i have been told at much at 80% of the wirinf would have to be changed

If I ever go into that project, I would buy a used R26 engine & gearbox along with the wiring - probably from a crashed R26 if I find it.

Why wouldnt you? Engine drops straight in, use 197 gear box, aftermarket management, job done.

Engine is between £750 and £1500 s/h.

Obviously it all comes down to who is doing the work etc. I still think you could get it done for less than a turbo conversion on the 197 lump, and with better results.

Jase, how are they having a mare?

Engine is between £750 and £1500 s/h.

Obviously it all comes down to who is doing the work etc. I still think you could get it done for less than a turbo conversion on the 197 lump, and with better results.

Jase, how are they having a mare?

you know the price for the conversion? I dont, it's not been released afaik, lol

Last edited: