jerky jerky

just been to local Renault dealer about the active solution pack, they way £79 to do a diagnostic and load the pack.

Does this sound right?

Had my first ride on a kangaroo after work today in 1st gear, think it just wasn't warm enough or my clutch control wasn't on point, quite annoying when you put your foot down and you end up jerking about like a learner using a clutch for the first time

Im under warranty until Nov, maybe i should take it in to get this update you guys are on about...

Last edited:
had my first experiences of this today and yesterday. once the car has a little warmth it's no problem.
just annoying pulling away from outsidd the house and the car bouncing.
don't think it's down to clutch or anything as accelerator was depressed enough to keep revs up. just the way the car is. I can live with it as it's only for the first minute.

if its only from cold its probly good that it does it, it'll teach me to not rev it too high from cold, its just after all day sitting in work when i get out to my new 197 i want to GO!

Had my first ride on a kangaroo after work today in 1st gear, think it just wasn't warm enough or my clutch control wasn't on point, quite annoying when you put your foot down and you end up jerking about like a learner using a clutch for the first time
Im under warranty until Nov, maybe i should take it in to get this update you guys are on about...

I agree wit this, its so annoying. Specially if you have passengers and there sat there thinking Ouch my neck, do you know how to drive a car ??

Totally incorrect - once started the car should be driven, most wear occurs when cold and if the engine is idling at the same rev's it makes the situation worse, it will cause uneven wear.

The only time an engine should be left idling is if its a turbo thats just been ran hard, and thats to protect the bearings in the turbo.

totally gree with this, letting a car idle takes a lotttt longer to warm up aswell as oil pressure/ flow been at its lowest due to revs.

driving it at alternating but lowish revs increases oil pressure aswell as speeds the process of gettign the lubricants to their working temperature

mine can also be jerky at times, and when relally cold the engine is so flat and powerless!!!!!! annoys me relay

I've found that once i knew that it's gonna be like this from cold then i just start off slowly until its a bit warmed up then its fine, no jerkyness, sometimes putting foot down increases the jerk sometimes it gets rid of it, sometimes bringing clutch up too soon does it aswell, you just have to read the car & take it easy i've found

same I found last 2 times I've driven it from cold, if you build up revs quite slowly (like it's rolling but slightly quicker) there is no issue.

Love this post as I am still in my first month of ownership and the jerkiness is worrying me sometimes, worry that I would harm the engine, gearbox or the clutch. As it is winter here and morning temp is around 10 most morning, this is what I started doing.

Start the car, slowly reverse out of garage, sit on driveway for about 20 sec, then start m journey to work. Try to go as light on the throttle as possible and short shifting (I find this is best to counter the jerking). About 1 to 1.5 km from home, the temp comes up and the car will begin to drive like a dream. But I do find the jerking is worse when you go down hill or try to get away quickly.

Does remapping help with this issue and is running higher octane better in countering this problem?

Thanks in advance

Love this post as I am still in my first month of ownership and the jerkiness is worrying me sometimes, worry that I would harm the engine, gearbox or the clutch. As it is winter here and morning temp is around 10 most morning, this is what I started doing.

Start the car, slowly reverse out of garage, sit on driveway for about 20 sec, then start m journey to work. Try to go as light on the throttle as possible and short shifting (I find this is best to counter the jerking). About 1 to 1.5 km from home, the temp comes up and the car will begin to drive like a dream. But I do find the jerking is worse when you go down hill or try to get away quickly.

Does remapping help with this issue and is running higher octane better in countering this problem?

Thanks in advance

Higher octane fuel will help but we use it in our 200 and the cold start hesitation is still there. Wouldnt worry about it breaking anything though in the cold. We were still using ours last winter where the needle dropped to below -20.

does anybody else find that when the engine is cold, it dosnt like being revved anyway?
Ive had my clio a good few months now, and tbh I usually just pootle around when cold to let it warm up, but I was running late the other day and had to make tracks.

I left it in 2nd a little longer than usual, to try accelerate as quick as poss (only till like 3.5-4k) I kept my foot on it through the flat spot, and the jerkiness, kept my foot down, and it just didnt pull like it normally does.

Built in safety feature to stop you caning it when its cold or something? Just never noticed it before till then lol

(I KNOW I SHOULDN'T DRIVE HARSH/FAST/HIGH REVS WHEN COLD)

A number of cars restrict power on warmup so perhaps modern Renaults do the same. Also engine and gearbox oil is has higher viscosity on startup leading to restriction in power output until it's warmed up and thinned out.

Strange thing is my 197 doesn't kangaroo, even when my gf put in 95 unleaded. I think it may be my light foot on warmup. I'm assuming it should feel like a fuel cut or is it just a stutter?

when mines warming up as i get it out the garage its well rough around 2500rpm and really holds back and chugs at times.....

its running far too lean i would say!

the very early 06 197 had higher co2 emissions than the later 56 and onwards cars explains a bit there as many of the early road tests of the (06) 197 never mentioned poor running...

Mines fine on vpower but when I put in 95 in other week by accident my car was really really bad on cold!!

Built in safety feature to stop you caning it when its cold or something? Just never noticed it before till then lol

(I KNOW I SHOULDN'T DRIVE HARSH/FAST/HIGH REVS WHEN COLD)

Yes - The dephaser pulley doesnt work until the temperature reaches 62degrees.

Similar Thread Suggestions