Its been a while...

Just thought id make a thread, as i'm a photo wh0re and thought id update you all on where I am nowadays :wink: ...

Well, about 2 months ago, I was rolling in this:
5773167754_3a9ff298da_z.jpg
29/5/11 Post Detail Shoot by Harpham y0, on Flickr

I then went full retard and went back to where I belong:
6295962431_f9f03a8900_z.jpg
Ph1 Winter Detail 30/10/11 After by Harpham y0, on Flickr

6296490540_8cbd0e044b_z.jpg
Ph1 Winter Detail 30/10/11 After by Harpham y0, on Flickr

6312089306_6ae2a8d254_z.jpg
New Front Plate by Harpham y0, on Flickr

6554086077_7166657d69_z.jpg
Cup Spoiler by Harpham y0, on Flickr

The funny thing is, i've gone back to an 11 year old shed and I don't miss the 200 one bit. I'm having so much fun in the 172. It has it's faults, but it is so much better than the 200. The 200 got really boring for me in the end.

I have some big plans for the 172 too. Its definitely going to be a fun year!!! :smile:

Here was my comparison from my project thread over on CS, after owning the 172 for a week (now had it 2 months):
172 v 200 Cup Comparison

Now that i've owned the new shed for just over a week, I thought id do a quick write up on how they differ and what I think to the car.

MPG
Over the past week, I have averaged 37mpg in the 172, using normal unleaded (the previous owner filled it up for me before I picked it up). I have only just put more fuel into the car this morning. There was still a quarter tank left and I had done over 250 miles this past week, which is more than double what I was sticking to in the 200. On my way home from the gym/petrol station this morning, I averaged 44mpg with super unleaded. That wasn't driving too economically either. Safe to say I never saw anywhere near that kind of mpg in the 200.
With the 200, I got 32mpg at the very very best, with super unleaded. Most of the time, I was getting between 29-30mpg, due to the short journeys that I do to and from work. 3/4 of a tank would barely last me a week in the 200, whereas around 3/4 of a tank in the 172 has lasted me over a week (hasn't the 172 got a smaller fuel tank too?).
The best thing is, i've been actually driving the 172 normal this week to get the 37mpg, rather than driving like a granddad in the 200 to struggle to get the 32mpg. Its bringing the fun back into driving.

Performance
Performance wise, I haven't pushed the 172 too hard yet, as the exhaust is blowing, so the last thing i've wanted to be doing is bouncing off teh limiter. Initial impressions are that it doesn't feel as quick as the 200, especially in the lower rev ranges. I forgot how bad the 5k kick is in 1*2's. I think once i've got the 172 to the standard that I want it (new exhaust, serviced etc), I think it will feel just as quick as the 200 did, straight line speed.
Oh and I can definitely tell that I don't have Brembos anymore LOL.

Cornering
Im sure we already know this, but the 200 is worlds apart in this division. I actually have to slow down for corners now. Again, I haven't really pushed the 172 yet, as i'm not sure of its limits when cornering. I knew that this would be a massive step down though, as the 200 was ridiculously good in the corners. This doesn't really bother me though, as I don't drive my cars hard anyway, so I doubt ill even use the 172 to its full cornering ability, nevermind the 200's.

Looks
Looks wise, the 200 obviously gets more people turning their heads, but I like the fact, in some ways, that people don't give this a second look. "It's just a Clio". Most people will just think that its a little 1.2. I've already had little chavvy Corsa B owners trying to do me LOL. This is probably the one aspect that I will miss about the 200, but to people in the know, Ph1 172's are full of win anyway. I just need to make this one mint!!

Financial
This was one of the main reasons for the 'downgrade'. Im certainly saving on fuel costs, tax is slightly less I believe, insurance only cost £11 to change over. The only thing that is stopping me from saving money at the moment is the fact that I suddenly have the urge to be doing stuff to the 172, but aslong as this doesn't go over the £3k mark (including maintenance), then I will have saved money over the next year (my plans will probably cost just over £1k over the next year). Im also out of the finance loop, which feels great.

Overall
I definitely glad that i've made the move back to a Mk2. I feel like i'm back where I belong. Its bringing my joy back into driving. Cheaper running costs until it breaks on me ). Its also bringing my passion back into car ownership, as I actually want to make/keep this a minter and make 'improvements' to it.
There are things that need sorting on the 172, which I am gradually sorting out, but that is the whole fun of car ownership that I have missed whilst owning the 200.
I should point out though, that I in no way regret getting the 200. It was a fantastic car and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. Onwards and upwards though. It has been the first car that I haven't missed one bit though when I sold it, which kind of makes me know that I have definitely made the right choice.

Link to my project thread for any interested: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?608162-Harphamominom-s-Ph1-Project

Last edited:
Been following your thread over on CS. I do really like the phase 1s and theres certainly some blinders over on CS.

Good luck to ya is all I'll say. Least we got a pic of yer RB 200 in the calender before it went.

hat off to you for doing it, personally i dont think i could. Things i would miss would be more on the comfort side of things, like having space around the pedals, and a handbrake that doesnt feel like your pulling on a chicken leg.

are you gonna go full track shed? stripped to the bone with perspect windows like Kevs?

That's a good review mate, what've you got planned for her?

But...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svwGRJA28lY[/youtube]

Comfort wise, I actually like this more. I have leather seats again. Some form of air-con (I had poverty spec 200 :wink: ). 2 things that I missed from my previous Ph2 172.
My 200 was horrible over the summer, or even in slight heat, as the standard blowers just didn't blow cold.

I have a few different plans for the car atm. I want to do some form of track action, but I doubt ill be going 'full on retard', as it'll still need to be usable for everyday driving.
I won't give away my plans as of yet tbh, as i'm still not sure the exact route its going anyway. If it survives the winter and stays reliable for me, who knows... Things may get really interesting :wink:.
My initial plans though are to make it a clean/tidy model (to my standards) though and then to do a couple more aesthetic mods to enhance the looks.
Still currently deciding on the way to go with regards to an exhaust system too. I have a shortlist of 3 (one of which is to stay standard though, as one of the reasons for the 'upgrade' was to save some pennies - fat chance of that tbf).
We'll see...

This month, ill be servicing it and sorting out a couple niggly bits (still have a new steering wheel to fit to it too). Then come Spring, ill be throwing a few pence at it.

The cornering abilities of the 200 are what make it fun to me so I'm not sure I could live with making the same move without having a choice.

Like the older cars but having driven a couple I couldnt live with one as a daily.

The only thing that would stop me from a Ph1 again is the interior. Whoever at Renault thought that the two tone blue/white orange peel affect plastic was a good idea is a dick.

Getting the dash flocked only helps hide it so much as well, it will always be tainted by that colour scheme.

Saying that i could probably force myself to love it if a v6 was on the cards :smiley:

^ Where have you been hiding, James?!!

I actually really like the interior. Daveski and I were actually speaking about this. We cant understand why there is so much hate for it.

Ive been sulking due to my lack of winter detail :wink:
Ignore Daveski, hes just telling you what you want to hear! haha.

Meh, Daveski is right tbh. Nothing wrong with the interior (although at some point, some of it may disappear from this shed :wink: ).

All my detailing kit has been put away until Spring. You're on my list though, if you still want it doing at that point. :tongueout:

I. Absolutely. Love. Ph1's

the sunflower yellow is lushhhhhh!!! love to own one one day as a project.

Plans for this?

I. Absolutely. Love. Ph1's
the sunflower yellow is lushhhhhh!!! love to own one one day as a project.
Plans for this?
Plans are to make it mint and keep it OEM.
For its age etc, its pretty damn clean, so i'm going to detail the crap out of it and make it into a minter.
I have a Cup Spoiler and stealth exhaust to go on too (the current exhaust is horrendous).

Don't really fancy ruining such a rare car though with silly mods :wink:
Is this the one you had your eye on? Iirc didn't someone in your street own it but hardly used it?
Thats the one. Finally got hold of the owner. Offered him cheap monies. He accepted. BOOM!
One pretty cheap rare Clio.
He lives a couple streets away and it literally never moved. Knocked on his door and got talking to him.

that looks very cool! What kinda mileage has it done? I think your right to keep it OEM. As the renault-god intended it. =D Clean as.

I've always fancied a 172/182 as they're right little terriers, and have to say your sunflower yellow looks nice! Good find