Issues

I’ve had my car for about a month now, it had a few problems but I got them fixed… but one thing that really irritates me is that on uneven roads the car often jumps when I have my foot on the throttle like it’s out of control. There’s certain bits of road near where I live where it always does it, without fail.
Also, I think my car may have been remapped - how can I find out if it has? It seems really quick off the blocks and if you thrash it all the way it really goes but when you just need a quick burst of acceleration off a normal bit of driving it doesn’t seem very powerful - it reminds me of my old Honda S2000 in that respect. It’s also really drinking the fuel. I know fuel prices have rocketed so it can seem like that but this car really is having far too much fuel for the way I’m driving it. Due to the fact that there’s not really any road to have a good speeding session down these days, I don’t think I’m very good at driving it either! Many times when actually giving it some welly and changing from 2nd to 3rd gear, I fluff it up and rev the engine! I’ve had plenty of fast cars and not had any issues with them but this one just isn’t getting the best out of me.

Fuel economy depends on so many things - what is the car telling you your average consumption is?

Can you be more specific about the car feeling out of control on uneven roads? What specifically is happening, what are you doing in that situation?

I can’t get it to show me the MPG because the button on the steering wheel doesn’t work! It’s finishing 55 litres of fuel within 250 miles easily.
As for the jumping, it’s just like you get on that surface and like when someone is a new driver the car just pulls forward then pauses then pulls forward again.

Kangarooing? Like the car is lurching and you have to let off the throttle to let it settle down?

If that is the case that's a common issue with our cars. Quickest thing to try to address that is zip tie the MAF sensor on the left side of the intake manifold so its not moving around so much. You can also search for some 'caps' that guys make that will screw down and hold the sensor in place. Either one should help.

I really don’t like driving it for day to day stuff! Plus fuel prices these days I’m seriously considering selling it even though I love it!

Im hitting 28 MPG driving once a week to the same place, 60 miles in total. Normal motorway and some fast B road. These cars are really thirsty for what you get back tbh, it’s a given.

Sounds like your car is pretty normal, you get used to all the quirks, some times I drive over a bulge in the tarmac on a B road and I let out a lound scream I’m so terrified of the loud bang the car makes.

having far too much fuel for the way I’m driving it

I would check lambda's, mine was running way too rich in closed loop, got them replaced and the car is much smoother and quicker on the throttle.
Two lambda's 100 Euros (BOSCH, 10 minutes work on a car lift.
Fuel economy is around 1 litre/10 kilometers = 24mpg and 1 hour drives with half that time light "fun" on 98RON, long trips maybe 1:12/30mpg.
Beast mode it drinks like a rotary.. fuel and oil.

I’m still convinced there’s something about this car that’s not standard. It’s not really any quicker than I would expect it to be but it seems like it has more power than I can harness. The problem is the lack of roads to practice on! It’s like you have to do everything perfectly to get the most out of it and there’s no stretch of road to do that safely these days. I got done by a speed camera for going 24 in a 20 zone the other day!

I used to have an Audi S5, Nissan 350Z and Honda S2000 and I managed to drive them fine especially in terms of straight line speed… this car is nowhere near as powerful as any but seems to be the most difficult to drive. Seems like something’s wrong…

OK to me it sounds like the car is remapped and you think it is overall no faster than expected then the engine has not been modified with cams etc. The problem to me seems like the throttle response has been modified as it's fly by wire and the profile has been changed check if a sprint booster has been fitted and tucked away as for driving the roads if you hit a bump your foot will press the pedal even if you don't think so and it's a hair trigger throttle the engine responds unexpectedly making you feel not in control. So it looks like a trip to a Renault mapping place for a power run they should be able through experience tell if this is the case and you're in the right place to get it modified or use their map it might even be a faulty pedal but they can confirm as well. The gear change problem might be the same throttle problem or worn clutch, synchro’s, cable adjustment or engine mounts.

Reactions: M154MATT
Thanks, the MOT runs out in a month, I might as well just sell it to webuyanycar and be done with it. I’ll get 6 months of road tax and insurance back, will probably lose over half of what I spent on the car but it’s just a nightmare. If anyone wants to take it off my hands, let me know.

Where are you based? Might be worth meeting up with a member to get them to drive it as a comparison.

West London. It almost always scrapes when you go into 4th gear too. Drinks far too much fuel and I really can’t be bothered with any maintenance.

Here’s my full list of issues with the car:

1. None of the buttons on the steering wheel work.
2. I’ve put a folding out Pioneer Apple CarPlay system in (cost me over £800) but it’s not wired up to the steering wheel controls… doesn’t really bother me but I’m sure it would bother a perfectionist. I also put in new Sony speakers.

3. It feels like there’s either something wrong with the clutch or gearbox or both. I’ve driven plenty of very quick cars, far quicker than this, and never had such issues. There’s no burning clutch smell, gear changes are usually fine but 4th scrapes unless you’re really gentle with it. I always get the best acceleration out of any car I have owned, but this one just does my head in.

4. It’s far too thirsty, I’m sure you’d get twice the amount of miles per gallon from a Honda S2000 which has 40bhp more (2003 model which I stupidly sold).

Apart from that, it’s got a bit of external damage here and there but the full leather seats are all in perfect condition, It’s only had 4 owners including me and I’m sure someone here could fix it up very nicely and have a great time with it.

MOT runs out in mid December so if anyone’s interested, get in touch.

Is yours a 200 Cup, 200 full fat, or a 200 full fat cup packed? If it was a 200 Cup then it would have come from the factory without any steering wheel buttons as a 200 Cup does not have cruise control or a speed limiter.

You can connect the audio controls on the steering to an aftermarket stereo but you normally need an adapter to fit in between the Renault controls and the stereo harness - I think that there is a company called Connects2 that sell the adapters.

Gearboxes in 197s/200s have chocolate gearboxes and often the synchros wear out on 3rd and 4th gear. The scraping maybe that the gearbox needs to be refurbished.

Thirsty? My 200 averages about 24 to 26 mpg when it is driven on the road and about 12 mpg on a track.

I don’t think it’s a Cup, it’s a 197 RS, whatever that is. 2010 plate. I’m not driving it around like a lunatic so I don’t expect it to be guzzling that much fuel that fast. The other thing I noticed is that if I’m in 6th gear on the motorway going exactly 70mph, the rev counter is on 3,500rpm! How???