Intermittent starting issue.

pacenotes

Platinum Member
Hi all

Ive got a issue with my 2006 197.

Last Sunday I went out for a bit and parked about a hour away from my house. Returned to the car and the car wouldn't start I got into the car push the start button it would kick but would not start. I thought it was the immobiliser so locked the steering got out of the car locked it and then opened it again but it still wouldn't start.

Kept trying the above and it just wouldn't start. I had to ring green flag as I was stuck. They came out and stuck the computer on it and no faults came up.

He disconnected the battery for about 5 minutes and that didn't reset it. The last thing he checked was if there was a spark which there wasn't.

So he had to give up and call the flat bed truck to come pick me up :worried: As it was a Sunday I decided to get home and get a friend to come pick me up with his trailer the next day :worried:

But when I got home I said Id try it again on the flat bed and it started first time! grrrrr

So I headed off to my night shift knowing I could get there but maybe not home. It was ok for a few days and this morning after a night shift..... Same problem. Kicks but wont start. At 7am and after 12 hours of work I just wanted bed so left it at work.

So any ideas?

To recap.

It tries to start.
No spark
intermittent

Any ideas before I head back to work to try again?

Anyone know a good Renault sport garage in west London? I'm based in Twickenham.

could be tdc sensor - located in bell housing - if they go faulty no faults show on the obd2 system...

failing that is the fuel pump whirring when you try to start it - also another "common" non-start fault

Cheers Mr Fox.

I see its about £80 for both parts. I might just change both as I don't want the hassle.

On searching about this forum it looks like the fuel pump might be a issue I wouldn't be able to do myself, Anyone know someone who would be good at changing it around Twickenham?

So today I had green flag out again to recover it. But he had a go at fixing it. He spent 90 mins on it.

He even took out the crack sensor and gave it a clean. Also worked out it was not the immobiliser as the lights go out when they should.

So after 90 mins it just shagging started! It must be the TDC sensor, Rang my local renault garage and they dont have a slot for a week.

Anyone know a part number for it or even a link to one?

just get the parts ordered from the dealers - its only held in place by 1 10mm bolt - once the lower engine cover is off (again held on by 10mm bolts) its not that hard to change...

My car failed to start on monday. Was turning over fie but would not fire. no errors showed up on the diagnostics. Turns out its the Crank Sensor (TDC) but they are on back order and will be 2-3 Weeks before i get one :worried: only had the car 2 weeks :worried:

owell the joys of owning a renault.

Engine has started 1st time every time since I got the TDC sensor out and cleaned. I've had it changed anyway it was only a £28 part and its worth it for the piece of mind.

I thought when I bought the car it was normal to take a couple of times to get it to life so this sounds like its a warning sign to me if it happens again.

Engine has started 1st time every time since I got the TDC sensor out and cleaned. I've had it changed anyway it was only a £28 part and its worth it for the piece of mind.

I thought when I bought the car it was normal to take a couple of times to get it to life so this sounds like its a warning sign to me if it happens again.

yes it seems it - had a motor similar that was poor to start and it was a bad connection on the tdc multi-plug...