Induction

When I get my 197 (hopefully by the end of the week), I want to swap out the standard airbox as apparently it is slightly restrictive? Anyway, I already have an extremely good enclosed induction kit from my old car, only thing that worries me is not having the correct samco hose to connect it to the throttle body.

Can the standard air intake pipe be utilised? If not, what size and angle silicone hose would I need to connect it?

Thanks.

Simon.

Many have tried to better the standard 197 induction setup and all have failed.

The standard setup with a panel filter is by far the most effective solution. Some people have even lost upto 10bhp on the rollers from altering the airbox.

So my advice would be think about changing it first, as it will most probaly be asthetics over performance.

Many have tried to better the standard 197 induction setup and all have failed.

The standard setup with a panel filter is by far the most effective solution. Some people have even lost upto 10bhp on the rollers from altering the airbox.

So my advice would be think about changing it first, as it will most probaly be asthetics over performance.

Thats good to know, K-Tec however quote a gain of 5bhp for the Maxogen kit. Was their dyno testing done with a tennis ball in the standard airbox? :smile:

dnt change the original airbox mate waste of time, i had a bmc custom airbox fitted to mine it was 10bhp down on a standard car lol ive got an itg panel filter now and it runs much better,

The only two options that are worth it is either the V6 airbox or R3 airbox, both expensive and both involve relocating the battery to the boot however thats the option im thinking about taking.

I'm starting to doubt that even the V6 airbox is worth it. Cup racers have it, but they are modified with electronics to suit. Is really worth it to spend 300 pounds (including battery relocation) in a filter that gives you what, 2 hp?

For what I've heard, the car has something called like "variable induction system", and if you look at the airbox, there's 2 ways of the air going in: By the feed that is in the passenger wing or by the duct that is below the intake manifold. I bet that helps in lower rpm, so I wouldn't bother changing it.

I agree with the above, renault spend millions of quid developing the air intake on these cars so it is just right my advice is keep ure money and have it remapped . . . . ive bot mine booked in for major works - only way to get gains, polishing and porting cylinder head, high lift cams, exhaust, remap in that kind of order

The only two options that are worth it is either the V6 airbox or R3 airbox, both expensive and both involve relocating the battery to the boot however thats the option im thinking about taking.

or the set up Kevo66 had, but that involves removing the battery and his set up wasnt cheap lol

Also there are issues of the car running lean on modified induction setups. Potential engine failure ensues.

me personally would say leave alone and fit a itg panel filter, but jms are developing some bits for the 197 and from wat i heard about gains from there induction set up they designed for the 172/182 might be worth looking at?

That's interesting I thought they only did mk2 stuff. I know their 172 setup is very effective so will be worth a look that!

197/200s NEED remaps for ALL and ANY performance mods, be that induction kits, exhausts, cams etc. To see gains on Induction kits you need to relocate the battery OR use a small battery like Kev did.

A good setup can be done for approx £150, but you will NEED a remap.

That's interesting I thought they only did mk2 stuff. I know their 172 setup is very effective so will be worth a look that!

they did, but im sure james joined on here a month or two ago, saying they was in the middle of development for some bit for the 197. just have to wait and see.

197/200s NEED remaps for ALL and ANY performance mods, be that induction kits, exhausts, cams etc. To see gains on Induction kits you need to relocate the battery OR use a small battery like Kev did.

A good setup can be done for approx £150, but you will NEED a remap.

there was one on here had a remap with induction kit, still didnt make as much power as the standard set up.

If you guys want the sound of an induction kit just take the lid of the airbox off. Is way cheaper than any induction kit and you would get the same performace gains as with other induction kits, none.

If someone proves me that there's an induction kit that actually makes power I would buy it, no matter what it cost (if it is in a reasolable price range, not like the Clio R3 airbox that costs several hundred pounds), but as no one shows that I'll stay with my standard airbox.

If you guys want the sound of an induction kit just take the lid of the airbox off. Is way cheaper than any induction kit and you would get the same performace gains as with other induction kits, none.

If someone proves me that there's an induction kit that actually makes power I would buy it, no matter what it cost (if it is in a reasolable price range, not like the Clio R3 airbox that costs several hundred pounds), but as no one shows that I'll stay with my standard airbox.

Takin the front off the airbox means that any bits of **** can go through the air intake system, the cover is there for a reason!!!