If Porsche made a hot hatch

Bodyboarder81

Paid Member
045CD80D-2977-4617-BC72-95E62DC05816.jpeg CC42A7A1-056C-4CFC-84FC-78709CE5A507.jpeg 886E5B4D-F08A-40EC-B92C-339590B0F76D.jpeg Hi all ... starting a small thread on my little Clio rs200 .

Bought the car from Steve murr of R-Sports and was really impressed by his service and knowledge of the cars in general . Really great guy to deal with and he even delivered the car to me for a small fee . The car was prepped to a good standard but as with any car I like to really get to know it by giving it a good ‘ deep ‘ clean .

The cars a great spec ( I think , not too clued up with them !) but has all the bits I was after . Low miles , recaros , service history and in very good condition. Yes a probably paid a bit of a premium for a low miler ( 20k ) but was more than happy to do so :smile:

This weekend I had a spare few hours so removed all wheels , properly cleaned all the arches , cleaned the wheels , ceramic coated the barrels , rubbed the slightly rusty rad support down and rust treated then coated it . Sprayed the spacers black along with the disc hubs . Polished the callipers . Then I removed the B pillar plastic type stuff as it was a bit tired looking . Debadged the ‘clio’ on the back and a few other bits and bobs .

Makes me very happy to have a productive few hours tinkering with it !!

So I started ordering bits and bobs

Black emblems front and rear
Led interior lights / rear number plate
RS gear knob
New RS yellow stitch matts
20mm spacers
RS steering wheel insert

Little bit of back ground about me ... so you know who’s typing away on his phone!

I’m josh 37 , married to my beautiful wife Amy and have 2 boys ... 3 and 7 year olds.

I’m a tree surgeon and run a very small firm in Southampton. Wife’s a garden designer ... and unfortunately doesn’t share my passion for cars :worried:

I’ll put a few pics up of us and cars that I’ve lovingly owned ......

Welcome along. Nice car history! There's definitely something special about these wee Clios though isn't there?!! I'm without a Clio just now & miss it terribly.

Reactions: Bodyboarder81
About 9 months ago I painfully decided to sell my Z4m coupe and S2000... selling the S2k was especially hard as it was a very special car . 26k on it , super mint and I’d had the interior retrimmed , ap brakes , ohlins Coilovers etc etc ... it was as perfect example of a brilliant sports car . It was my 2nd S2k and I urge anyone who loves N/A , Manuel RWD to get one . Such a good drivers car and so rewarding to drive on the limit ...... anyway the reason for selling ? I’d always loved Porsche’s but never had the balls to buy one for various reasons .... the 981 cayman when it came out in 2013 blew me away . I hadn’t even driven one but just the looks won me over !

Anyway the time was right for me , so sold both Z4m coupe ( also low miles ) and S2k and went on the hunt for a cayman . In my price bracket I could have also got a 997.2 911 ... and did year drive a couple .. but back to back drives the cayman hands down won me over !

So I bought one !! Dream come true for me !!

Couple of pics ...

Not so sure about the black diamonds though mate! :wink:There's a bit of rivalry/banter on here about these. All harmless fun.:silverdiamond:

.... originally I was going to take the cayman on a few track days ... but totally scared to for fear of damaging it and also the eye watering costs of tyres / disc/ pads / services ....

So this is where the Clio comes in and title thread !!

Always been a huge fan of the Clio RS’s in all forms ... had a beautiful 20k mile 172 cup many years ago but unfortunately that had a sad ending and was written off :worried:

Also I owned a GW lux r26 ... which was bloody fantastic as well . I did actually try and find one of those but got fed up with looking at really tatty cars .

There was a 197 Clio around my way that I saw every now and then ... it was slightly lowered , spaced and looked flipping awesome . Always gave it a admiring look when I saw it .

So some how I managed to sell it to my wife that I needed to get a Clio for using to look at work / winter / general use ( still will only cover 3-4K a year )

She didn’t say no .... so I took that as a green light . 1 week later Steve turns up with the nimbus Clio for me

So to the thread title ..... I’ve only covered around 50 miles in it ( fun miles in and around the new forest ) and man if Porsche did make a hot hatch this is pretty much what it would be ! Such good fun , small , nimble , n/a , enough power to have fun , great chassis.

Not so sure about the black diamonds though mate! :wink:There's a bit of rivalry/banter on here about these. All harmless fun.:silverdiamond:

Yes seen a few mentions of people not liking them .... I can see both sides to be honest . I personally think on mine it’s ok , black wheels , black roof ... soon to be wrapped handles /b pillars / bump strips in gloss black ..... but I’ll get my flame suit at the ready :smile:

Reactions: Johnny 99
Plans for the Clio ?

Already bought

Spacers
RS Center caps
Lowered seat rail ( in the post from a forum member )
Recaro Seat covers ( in the post from a forum member )
Private plate - R200 FAN
Gloss black badges

Things to get

Bilstein b14’s
Re trimmed steering wheel ( only as I’d like yellow stitching on it to match the seat !)
Door cars to be re-trimmed with yellow stitch .
A induction kit for a bit more noise ? ( any thoughts on this ?)
New oem torque arm / dog bone ( nothing wrong with them , just to refresh them really as have done 20k and 7 years old )
Set of ad08r’s

Think that’s about it ...... hahaha

.... originally I was going to take the cayman on a few track days ... but totally scared to for fear of damaging it and also the eye watering costs of tyres / disc/ pads / services ....

So this is where the Clio comes in and title thread !!

Always been a huge fan of the Clio RS’s in all forms ... had a beautiful 20k mile 172 cup many years ago but unfortunately that had a sad ending and was written off :worried:

Also I owned a GW lux r26 ... which was bloody fantastic as well . I did actually try and find one of those but got fed up with looking at really tatty cars .

There was a 197 Clio around my way that I saw every now and then ... it was slightly lowered , spaced and looked flipping awesome . Always gave it a admiring look when I saw it .

So some how I managed to sell it to my wife that I needed to get a Clio for using to look at work / winter / general use ( still will only cover 3-4K a year )

She didn’t say no .... so I took that as a green light . 1 week later Steve turns up with the nimbus Clio for me

So to the thread title ..... I’ve only covered around 50 miles in it ( fun miles in and around the new forest ) and man if Porsche did make a hot hatch this is pretty much what it would be ! Such good fun , small , nimble , n/a , enough power to have fun , great chassis.
New Forest was my old Bank Holiday stomping ground. I'm originally from Surrey but have lived in Highland Scotland for the last 19 years. Had a week in Lymington a couple of summers ago revisiting old haunts. A Cayman is something I would like to get sometime. Currently running a Merc E class convertible as daily/holiday car & S1 for hooning/track days/wife to drive.

Really need to stop spending money on stupid things ... but while I was ordering a few bits and bobs from RPD , this caught my eye .. I’m a proper sad person and love a car manufacturers watch .

The Renault one is a really good quality watch and I’m over the moon with it !

0151DFEE-12FC-4B28-8BBD-C16DE5707B0E.jpeg 436887CA-41C6-477E-9A07-50DC2BB82DC5.jpeg D26A3E67-5BD6-4666-B6AF-51B664B60DF4.jpeg

New Forest was my old Bank Holiday stomping ground. I'm originally from Surrey but have lived in Highland Scotland for the last 19 years. Had a week in Lymington a couple of summers ago revisiting old haunts. A Cayman is something I would like to get sometime. Currently running a Merc E class convertible as daily/holiday car & S1 for hooning/track days/wife to drive.
Love an s1 ... proper fast little things indeed !! Yep love where we live ... some great roads to enjoy . Yes the cayman just does everything so well . Classy , fast enough , amazing sound track ( flat 6 with sports exhaust option ) and handles incredible..... but then it should .. it’s a awful lot of money ( well for me it is!!)

.... although saying that the cayman has gone into the dealership last week for a gearbox oil leak ! Luckily I’ve just renewed the Porsche approved warranty , so all is covered and they even give you a pretty good courtesy car .... the boys love it !

Attachments

• BB79AFFB-9D87-4FC2-B8AA-38BB5FD9839B.jpeg
    BB79AFFB-9D87-4FC2-B8AA-38BB5FD9839B.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 45
  • C253822E-75B1-41BF-A829-764A450B8771.jpeg
    C253822E-75B1-41BF-A829-764A450B8771.jpeg
    950 KB · Views: 48
  • 8B7DDD75-471F-499B-A15C-2886A634EA45.jpeg
    8B7DDD75-471F-499B-A15C-2886A634EA45.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 51
Reactions: Johnny 99
.... although saying that the cayman has gone into the dealership last week for a gearbox oil leak ! Luckily I’ve just renewed the Porsche approved warranty , so all is covered and they even give you a pretty good courtesy car .... the boys love it !
Loving that you found Highland Cattle in the New Forest!

Hi mate,

Great thread! Really like your car and what you’re doing to it, Nimbus is fantastic, really classy.....

Interesting car history, you’re clearly a petrol head!

I’ve had some interesting cars, an S1 Elise , a MK7 Fiesta ST-3 with Mountune MP215 and more recently a 987 Boxster S. All great drivers cars, but I have to say it’s the Clio 200 that has really got under my skin! Just something about them.

Where was the watch from?

Really look forward to more updates, and for what it’s worth, I’m firmly in the ‘Team black diamond’ camp! :thumb:

Hi mate,

Great thread! Really like your car and what you’re doing to it, Nimbus is fantastic, really classy.....

Interesting car history, you’re clearly a petrol head!

I’ve had some interesting cars, an S1 Elise , a MK7 Fiesta ST-3 with Mountune MP215 and more recently a 987 Boxster S. All great drivers cars, but I have to say it’s the Clio 200 that has really got under my skin! Just something about them.

Where was the watch from?

Really look forward to more updates, and for what it’s worth, I’m firmly in the ‘Team black diamond’ camp! :thumb:

Love a s1 Elise ... good friend has one and enjoyed many a evening drives with him . When I was last on track the mk7 fiesta ( same mountune 215 I think ) were just flying round . Amazing cars .... but visually just don’t do it for me . ..... unlike the 987 boxsters ... love them . It’s all about that engine for me in them . I’ve got a new boxster s ( 2.5 flat 4 turbo ) from porsche at the moment, and although seriously fast ( like way to fast for most roads ) it’s just so bland because of the engine note ! Give me a n/a flat 6 any day of the week please !

Watch was from Renault parts direct ... although I can’t seem to see it in there now ?!

Reactions: Ocsltd