I miss having a turbo.......

For me its personal choice. Nothing else matters. No better no worse. The Clio's so much fun NA but I have to work for the power. To find the power, I have to drive fast and keep the speed. Great for the track, dangerous on the road. The problem is also to drive fast in the Clio, I need a stretch of road. Also means often, I'm driving on the limits. Fun, but again more aligned to the track.

Turbo gives me more torque where it matters...day to day driving. If I'm honest (and we've all been there), how many times has something 'lesser' come up behind you and you've initially struggled to shake them because you haven't got the torque to pull away until the road opens out (and you'll be doing over 70 by then) or you see some bends?

The lack of torque kills the Clio on the road but the momentum of the track makes it not a issue and superb. I know, I went road Donny in a cup racer. My car unfortunately lives on the road 100% of the time.

theres only a "lack of torque" when in the wrong gear...

you can still have fun at lower speeds in a lower gear!

when we went to the buttertubs there are very twisty narrow dry stone lined roads and you can use 2nd & 3rd gear at 5000rpm+ to enjoy them whereas the meganes were using 3rd & 4th

speeds and going fast can apply to a turbo car/engine even more

having used my clio all the time now i can drive it like 2 different cars

below 3500rpm its ok on fuel and provides adequate go!

above 3500rpm and beyond its fun! fun! fun!

theres only a "lack of torque" when in the wrong gear...

you can still have fun at lower speeds in a lower gear!

when we went to the buttertubs there are very twisty narrow dry stone lined roads and you can use 2nd & 3rd gear at 5000rpm+ to enjoy them whereas the meganes were using 3rd & 4th

speeds and going fast can apply to a turbo car/engine even more

having used my clio all the time now i can drive it like 2 different cars

below 3500rpm its ok on fuel and provides adequate go!

above 3500rpm and beyond its fun! fun! fun!

No one suggesting that on the twisties generally clio is king. The car can live with supercars in the right hands. Not saying the Clio not a better car than the the Megane. Each are better (or worse) in certain scenarios. Just depends in what scenario your car speeds most of its time. I love the clio, but recognise its failings. I don't see the point of creating caveats with a 'but' each time someone speaks about it negatively. I think we all know there is a lack of low down torque in theses engines. Doesn't make it a bad car, just makes it more limited on 'normal' roads but lesser so on the track

Last edited:
No one suggesting that on the twisties generally clio is king. The car can live with supercars in the right hands. Not saying the Clio not a better car than the the Megane. Each are better (or worse) in certain scenarios. Just depends in what scenario your car speeds most of its time. I love the clio, but recognise its failings. I don't see the point of creating caveats with a 'but' each time someone speaks about it negatively. I think we all know there is a lack of low down torque in theses engines. Doesn't make it a bad car, just makes it more limited on 'normal' roads but lesser so on the track
Supercars you say
:001_rolleyes::biggrin:
J