I miss having a turbo.......

This gets asked a few times on here and to be honest a lot of the time people sell up because they do miss the turbo.I would honestly say give it another three months and get out on the roads that this little pocket rockets perform there best.If you then have the same felling sell up
Sorry to see you go though if you did

Have you adapted your driving style to suit the revvy N/A engine?

The first couple of weeks I had mine, I was thinkning the same. I came from a 307 HDI (the 16v one with 136hp) and missed the surge at 2k, which made the 307 'feel' like it was faster.

Once I got the hang of the revvy petrol again, I soon forgot all about the torque from the turbo!

As Roy said, many people on here come and go due to missing their turbo from the Vag scene or any other turbo. But basically to really fully enjoy the Clio engine you must be prepared to push the engine quite far to get anything back from it. If you don't push it you won't get any kicks from it.

Too many people i know that's went from turbo to NA Clios etc still expect power at low revs and say the Clios are too slow.

Take it out this weekend on some nice quiet backroads and give her a push :smile:

turbo's are horrible, why on earth would you want one?

Press pedal, wait for ages, eventually get going as you watch the fuel gauge go down (quickly) :worried:

N/A are so much more responsive.

turbo's are horrible, why on earth would you want one?

Press pedal, wait for ages, eventually get going as you watch the fuel gauge go down (quickly) :worried:

N/A are so much more responsive.

Obviously not driven a megane then! Near enough instant power and better fuel economy than the clio

Obviously not driven a megane then! Near enough instant power and better fuel economy than the clio

Thats what I had...... In the past I had:

Fiesta ST - Sold it for a TT 225 Turbo - sold that to get a EP3 type R but that seemed slow after the TT so sold it to get the Megane 225 - Went for a golf gt tdi 130pd then to the Clio 197.

I think I want another Megane 225?

I'll stick with the 197 for a while though unless a decent offer comes my way?

Would be a shame though.... She looks stunning

car4.jpg

I love that the Clio doesn't have a turbo, love driving it at 6,000rpm and having to rev the nuts of it!

I'm hoping to pick up a 197 on saturday.

At present I'm driving a 1.8TDCI Focus but also own a 200+bhp Starlet GT and have also owned a Clio 138 that I had for 3 years, I do worry about missing the turbo but I think you just adapt to the power delivery of each car?

Ha, ha. Keep the Clio and by a mk3 meg.

I fully understand. I used the Clio for the last couple of days and thought wtf!

But I looked down and was only doing 4.5k, letting it sing and hearing the exhaust put a real smile on my face.

It was nice getting back in the meg again today for effortless power and driving.

Horses for courses as they say.

Solution is simple have both.

I'm hoping to pick up a 197 on saturday.

At present I'm driving a 1.8TDCI Focus but also own a 200+bhp Starlet GT and have also owned a Clio 138 that I had for 3 years, I do worry about missing the turbo but I think you just adapt to the power delivery of each car?

How much over 200bhp is your Starlet? Me and two mates had a few plays around with my 197 and their Starlets running just over 200bhp, i was behind and they couldn't pull away. Just adjust adapt to the NA engine and you will be fine.

Look at it this way, you would never jump into a BMW M3 and drive it like a FWD car.. You would bin it within the hour!

How much over 200bhp is your Starlet? Me and two mates had a few plays around with my 197 and their Starlets running just over 200bhp, i was behind and they couldn't pull away. Just adjust adapt to the NA engine and you will be fine.

Look at it this way, you would never jump into a BMW M3 and drive it like a FWD car.. You would bin it within the hour!

I would assume around the 230bhp mark, not that it works atm! I'm sure the clio is a lot more fun to drive believe me...

Ha, ha. Keep the Clio and by a mk3 meg.

I fully understand. I used the Clio for the last couple of days and thought wtf!

But I looked down and was only doing 4.5k, letting it sing and hearing the exhaust put a real smile on my face.

It was nice getting back in the meg again today for effortless power and driving.

Horses for courses as they say.

Solution is simple have both.

i told my mate about the meg 265 trophy and he tells me everyday to buy it becausei really want one... just so he can buy my 197 from me lol

the slowest cars in the whole country are impreza's and evos funnily enough.
Sitting in the slow lane doing 59 all the time, never seen one make the middle lane before hehe. well worth having a turbo...

i told my mate about the meg 265 trophy and he tells me everyday to buy it becausei really want one... just so he can buy my 197 from me lol

You would love it!

Totally different and sooooo much easier as a daily driver.

BUT not as much fun as the Clio and the engine.

I've never kept a car over 2.5 years but can't see the clio going for another hot hatch.

Unless its a mk4 meg. Provided its still 3dr of course.

5dr clio? WTF

I went from Turbo to an EP3 CTR and thought it was slow. It wasn't, I just had to get used to the car. I also spent yesterday driving turbo VXR cars around Rockingham then got back into my 197 for the drive home.

NA is more fun and much more work. The rewards are also higher, so persevere. The 197 isn't that fast but is a huge amount of fun.

My last car was a turbo 300hp and 390lbft.. I even got used to that and thought it was normal! When i got in the clio it felt really really flat but really enjoyed havin to really work it to get the performance.. Now I've forgotton about the old motor and driven the Clio in isolation it's not too bad low down, torque to the road isn't so bad due to short gearing!

It's a great 2nd car, at the minute it's acting as main though.. In about 18 months time after I've paid for a wedding and an extension on the house I'll get an automatic 330d and probably map it. That's a perfect daily.