I miss having a turbo.......

Tbh your just starting to annoy me now with the constant slagging of it and don't think many of the reviews have drove it 15k so I like to think I have a better opinion than they do but like I said before it's slight and not massive like your exaggerating

constant slagging it?:blink:

it has lag! its extremely noticeable. So noticeable even the top guys in VX were saying keep it high in the revs to make the most of it.

make a video in 3rd gear tomorrow. accelerate from 2000rpm.

So you seriously don't understand what I'm trying to say or are you just being awkward?

I suppose i do not! I have commented on one specific part of the cars performance that was brought up in this thread. you said "constant slagging of it" really? there are many others who are in agreement. people who have driven dozens of them! im happy for you if you cannot feel it. yours must be different.

You and others over on vxronline especially a few mk5 owners owners who have never even driven it and it's becoming a little boring now, your assessment of the lag is about as accurate as the said torque steer that has been felt by said reviews, were big boys wills and if you can't put your opinion across on the Internet where can you?

You and others over on vxronline especially a few mk5 owners owners who have never even driven it and it's becoming a little boring now, your assessment of the lag is about as accurate as the said torque steer that has been felt by said reviews, were big boys wills and if you can't put your opinion across on the Internet where can you?

you have me mixed up with someone else!

No problems from me gents, nothing wrong with anything that's been said so far, don't take what I said the wrong way!!! :smile:

If we all said and thought the same things it'd be a boring world!!! :smiley:

I didn't take any offence mate :smile:

Sorry am assuming you have the same name over on vxr online?

i certainly do, but apart from mentioning its failed to match the megane in a straight line (something vx were adimant would happen), I have said very little about the new astra.

So you have said previously and I didn't say it was just you either

right! on that note i will leave you too it

Not sure what point you have made seems as though you have only proved mine? Ah well like I said slight lag :smiley: :bat:

I personally enjoy the lag of a medium/big turbo, the slight glimpse of hope you give others at the traffic light gp and when they next look, you have landed in the next county haha

I used to own 2 evo, 1 evo for street @350AWHP and 1 evo for V8 crushing @650AWHP.
Sold both and got an nice used R27.

I do think the 197 is a bit soft in low RPM but love to Rev it!

I don't miss the turbo that much. Different car, different feeling!
And that small hatch fly trough very very tight zigzag :smile:

Last edited:
Having worked in the powertrain team on the new Fiesta ST which is aiming to sit itself around the RS200 mark I can see the benefits of both turbocharged and NA vehicles at a similar level.

The 1.6 Ecoboost engine in the FST is bright and breezy will little lag and packs a punch low down that just cannot be replicated with an NA engine. Although quoted to be 180PS, I have driven a comparable 200PS calibration and for me it will always be down to personal preference.

The turbocharged feel that you get is great for everyday use as many have said but it will never, for me at least, create that grin you get from pushing an NA by working the box and nailing a few corners perfectly.

TCs are easier to use and more forgiving for those everyday road conditions where any old numpty can break your rhythm but for me there is a slight lack of control and predictability about them and I'd much rather be singing on the revs with all that engine braking available to me for control. More refined than spitting out a lump of wasted boost and having to start again (to some extent), however cool it may sound.

It's a very personal choice and very much depends on how you are willing to drive each one. TCs these days aren't all that laggy if spec'd well and on the sort of engines comparable to the 200, aren't that thirsty either. The reduction in displacement they provide means emissions are lower and FE is better (everyday driving I could achieve high 30s/low 40s with the FST)

My two penneth anyways

For me its personal choice. Nothing else matters. No better no worse. The Clio's so much fun NA but I have to work for the power. To find the power, I have to drive fast and keep the speed. Great for the track, dangerous on the road. The problem is also to drive fast in the Clio, I need a stretch of road. Also means often, I'm driving on the limits. Fun, but again more aligned to the track. Twisties its king but I don't natural drive on these types of roads daily...great fun when I do but I have to go looking for them or take the back way home.

Turbo gives me more torque where it matters...day to day driving. If I'm honest (and we've all been there), how many times has something 'lesser' come up behind you and you've initially struggled to shake them because you haven't got the torque to pull away until the road opens out (and you'll be doing over 70 by then) or you see some bends?

The lack of torque kills the Clio on the road but the momentum of the track makes it not a issue and superb. I know, I went road Donny in a cup racer. My car unfortunately lives on the road 100% of the time.

Last edited: