How did Renault get away with the front bumper on the 200???

I think the 197 front is fairly similar to other clios at a glance. I think the 200 front is more modern with the gloss black and I think the front end looks stunning and the headlight/bumper/front wing looks aggressive with the curviture in it. I was close to getting a 197 in ly so I'm not saying it's ugly but the 200 stands out more.

All IMO of course.

Controversial what I'm about to say.

I am swaying more towards the 200 now!

I used to hate it!

I was exactly the same Mike until I seen the LY in the flesh, I nearly bought a CTR...

I love the front end on my 200! It looks different, and who doesn't want a car a that looks different! For me it makes the car!!!!
:driveby:

Like I've said, its pretty easy to see whats happened. Renault have a relatively new corporate facelift. Renault have a new clio within the next couple of years. Is it not the last of the current Renault range for redesign?? So decided to keep 90% of the old car and 10% of the new. The wings and bonnet are the same, bumper and lights only difference cosmetically. Basic advertising concept is in order for people to part with their hard earned money, need to convince them that they actually getting something different. New cloth on recaros, remap and different gearbox gearing (which you can get in the later 197 anyway) doesn't in anyway mean 'new'. Old argument I know.
Still a great car, still would have one tomorrow and I'm not questioning whether I like the look of the styling but come on, theres hardly any smoke n' mirrors to see its a poor show by Renault. I think this is part of why the jury is out on it cause we are being short changed. You can buy yourself a nice Clio track day Cup and a low mileage F1 for the same price as a new 200!!

Although the small redesign of the wing I believe would have fixed it, the associated costs would probably run into millions of pounds that given the development of the megane, scenic, laguna, twingo...they couldn't afford for just a car thats got a short life span compared to the other models. Used car prices are gonna really hit this model I recon.

Last edited:
You lot actually bought it for its looks? That was the last care on my mind when I got one.

I must be up for getting reported to the RSPCR, as it gets kicked into a corner of the drive, beaten like a ginger stepchild and washed with nothing more than a pair of my old pants and fairy liquid... and only when the filth is so bad I can't see out of the windows.

You lot actually bought it for its looks? That was the last care on my mind when I got one.

I must be up for getting reported to the RSPCR, as it gets kicked into a corner of the drive, beaten like a ginger stepchild and washed with nothing more than a pair of my old pants and fairy liquid... and only when the filth is so bad I can't see out of the windows.

+1

Altho i did pay a man a fiver to detail it with a stoney sponge

Love the swril mark all over it now :thumbup1:

Lmao mike. I do both cus i wana keep it. It gets battered to an inch of its life on track and then lovingly cared for after lol. I bought my 197 for a project nothing more.

Heathen!!!! Lol

Balls to that, too much like hard work. It always puzzles me when I read people's proud list of their 5 hour cleaning duties of a weekend.

Jet washed, snow foamed, washed with 7 buckets/4 mitts, cleaned all shuts with horse testicle hair brush, all carpets removed and sent to the dry cleaners, glass re-polished by semi blind nuns, wheels covered in cream and licked clean by cats, dried with 7mph sterilised wind....etc etc.

A real man's weekend by comparison.

Woke up, had sex with a real life woman who is not my mum/sister/cousin, ate breakfast, threw a bucket of water over the car and smeared the muck off it, took it out and drove it all over the best roads in [insert place], arrived home, watched darts.

I'm starting an anti-polishing club.

Balls to that, too much like hard work. It always puzzles me when I read people's proud list of their 5 hour cleaning duties of a weekend.

Jet washed, snow foamed, washed with 7 buckets/4 mitts, cleaned all shuts with horse testicle hair brush, all carpets removed and sent to the dry cleaners, glass re-polished by semi blind nuns, wheels covered in cream and licked clean by cats, dried with 7mph sterilised wind....etc etc.

Woke up, had sex with a real life woman who is not my mum/sister/cousin, ate breakfast, threw a bucket of water over the car and smeared the muck off it, took it out and drove it all over the best roads in [insert place], arrived home, watched darts.

It's probably the second most expensive thing you will every buy in life, there's nothing wrong with wanting to look after it.

I'm not talking about kicking the panels in and washing it with wire wool.

I wash it, it becomes clean. xxx hours of my life wasted detailing will only make me more annoyed when it inevitably gets dirty and it'll achieve exactly £0 extra on trade in.

Drive your cars.

Lol at this thread! I like both 200 and 197. The only thing I will say is that I think colour makes a difference whereas with the 197 I think any colour look sexual!

I like my car and like it clean im not as bad as alot of people but i am obsesive everyone is difrent m8. Keepin it clean just shows that i have respect for what i own i also enjoy it thats why i do it

Last edited:
I'm not talking about kicking the panels in and washing it with wire wool.

I wash it, it becomes clean. xxx hours of my life wasted detailing will only make me more annoyed when it inevitably gets dirty and it'll achieve exactly £0 extra on trade in.

Drive your cars.

Not true whatsoever.

Cleaning a car is a bit therapeutic for me as well Mike. You cant deny that i drive my car properly. But i also clean it properly. :smile:

Post of the year!!!!!! lol You forgot...Park car in heated garage just in case it gets dirty again. Then check weather on ceefax daily for when the wind is eastly, the temp is 50 degrees, the tide is high and the moon is low, uranus is in the 3rd quandrant....when the conditions are perfect, the car can be driven again (although it will need a wash after it) happy days!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Code:
Rubbish.

Show me the page in the Glasses Guide which says:

Regularly polished with £750/ounce wax applied with a toddler's arse and buffed with swan. Add £500 to book price.

It might not add alot of value but will make the car easier to sell private just because you dont like no need to be so disrespectfull to the peolpe who do