Home mechanics.....

Chrisgti6

East Midlands Rep.
So, what's the biggest job on a car you've undertaken on your driveway/road?

Mine is a clutch and flywheel in a Peugeot 307, which was a subframe off job.

Here's the pile of bits!

7ca8bfe1.jpg

So, anyone else got any pics of work they've done in less than ideal surroundings?

I once topped up oil, ok I may have done it two or three times now.

But really that's about my level.

Just off to take the wheels off the trophy and clean and wax them properly though.

Disaster pics to follow......

Hang on I forgot to say I know where screen was goes too!

Don't want to dumb my self down here.

The driveway is just a garage without the roof.

I've changed the clutch on a 13tonne truck in a yard before, not an easy job without air tools or jacks.

I don't think I'd bother doing a Fwd clutch on a driveway!

done many gearboxes/clutches on the drive or roadside where i used to live

also done the odd engine removal and rebuild in the kitchen :thumbsup:

but have to admit it is "my trade" :blink:

Biggest Job I've done was replacing the alternator on a MGF, what a pig of a job that was, love the idea of mid engine, RWD but it doesn't make access to parts fun lol

And job done, AGAIN!

First up the car

568de896-9821-4a76.jpg

Second, wheels off

568de896-9845-83ec.jpg

Next smart wheels and swissvax wheel brush + some snow foam to wash

568de896-9866-e7a6.jpg

Then paint rubber to prep the surface

568de896-98d3-eb8d.jpg

Next up autobahn

568de896-990c-d281.jpg

Left to dry and buffed off

568de896-9933-ffad.jpg

568de896-9964-c58f.jpg

Before and after

568de896-994b-1c42.jpg

Tyre dressed with penu glossy

568de896-9999-209d.jpg

And back on the car at 130nm

568de896-99d2-7e9d.jpg

I once changed someones big end bearings in the road outside his house. In the rain. Wearing shorts.

Done dozens of engine changes on peoples drives, a lot of gearbox/clutch changes on drives and roads outside houses. Once swapped a 200sx turbo, in the dark, on gravel. That was fun :|

Ive not done a lot if I'm honest. Recently bought another car to work on ourselves to get out knowledge and confidence up working on cars.

Biggest thing to date is changing an exhaust, and that took us all day haha

Ive had the front bar and wings off my old astra when replacing the headlights with aftermarket and sorting an issue with the guards out, and the rear bar shortly after that for a little more fun.

With the clio the most its had is diffuser and wheels off, in coming weeks its about to have its side skirt amputated and the seats out for a recaro swap :smiley: - oh and I fitted the whole RS body kit to it

I split an impreza on my drive.

So engine gearbox out, then every last part!

Got no issues spannering on my drive!

In my younger days i worked at the local car auctions and drove an ex RAC dodge truck with a spec lift.

It was better than owning a jack and came in very handy on several occasions whilst owning an old chrysler sunbeam.

Changed the rear axle twice and the gearbox five times either on the street or in the courtyard at work.

I could take the old box out and another second hand one in in around an hour and an half with that helping me.

:thumbsup: happy days.

Im not that brave air filter is about as far as i go apart from swapping the Recaros in the Clio apart from that i have a great garage i can take the car 2..

Changed interior for Recaros in my old Corsa SRi, changed a few air filters and wheels. That's bout it really.

Similar Thread Suggestions