Hey All - Looking for 197

karbonCup

Paid Member
Thought id do the decent thing and introduce myself.

Im contemplating buying a 197 as a daily $hitter for added fun as an everyday car.

Glacier White I preference atm. Looking for: 08 reg onwards low mileage (around +/-15k), Glacier White, Sport Recaro seats, Black Wheels.

I want to be able to throw it on track to see how it copes, so needs all the best options on.

Now.. I am a little confused in all the models available - 197, 197 with cup chassis, sports suspension, F1 Edition (Aware only 500)etc.... Are these all different spec'd and people are just advertising and highlighting different aspects of the car?

Perhaps someone can run by the main difference with the different models as I could find much online.

TIA

Last edited:
Welcome mate.

There are 3 variants of Clio 197. You have the 197, 197 Cup and R27.

The R27 is the limited edition brought out to celebrate Renaults success in F1. There are 500 of these models. All come with climate control, Recaro seats and cup chassis as standard. Other options are also available (obviously depending on what their first buyers wanted on top of the standard spec).

The 197 Cup is a slightly "fitter" version of the standard 197. In order to make it lighter standard options like air con and soft touch dash are done away with. Cup chassis is obviously spec'd on all the Cups.

The 197 is often referred to as the full fat (shortened to FF) 197. With this you get air con, electric mirrors, soft touch dash etc. Cup chassis is an optional extra on these 197s.

Welcome, why you'd buy a 197 as a daily '****ter' is a little confusing. They aren't cheap to run, but I get the impression you got abit to throw about?

Okay spec as follows:

197 as standard is your basic 197 with fancy interior, aircon, keyless entry and push start, electric mirrors, auto lights etc.

197 cup has a basic interior from a base model, no fancy gadgets as above although aircon was an option, I think most have it. Being the cup it has lower and stiffer suspension setup and red calipers, also 30kg lighter.

197 F1 edition is the best of both worlds with the exclusivity thrown in. Best interior with all the gadgets plus the cup chassis.

Note non cups had a cup pack option to add the suspension upgrades to the standard 197, probaly most identifiable by the red calipers.

Enjoy :smile:

If you want the car for more road pleasure & minimal track use then an r27 is the best option, however if you want a track shlag then ditch all the extras & buy a specced 197 cup-

Im sure someone will pop up in a minute & challenge me on a 197 cup- however thats what I would buy-
ALso you cant get an R27 in Glacier white ( only 1 made) 500/500-

So conslusion-

197 Cup in Glacier white with Recaros speedlines & A/C-

Budget 9k will fit the bill for a 58 plate

( or buy a 200 cup :wink: )

Thanks chaps for the quick & comprehensive reply. I fully understand the specs now. I have been seeing the FF about a bit and was slightly baffled.

Apologies for referring to wanting as a daily $hitter, it'll be used as a daily driver to work and using for jobs. I run a A3 2.0TDI S Line atm as my daily and have a toy for Track workouts. However, although I love the practicality & build of the Audi I am craving a little more driver fun as my toy doesn't see road much.

I am liking the compromise of the F1 version. Is this available in the Glacier White?

If you want the car for more road pleasure & minimal track use then an r27 is the best option, however if you want a track shlag then ditch all the extras & buy a specced 197 cup-

Im sure someone will pop up in a minute & challenge me on a 197 cup- however thats what I would buy-
ALso you cant get an R27 in Glacier white ( only 1 made) 500/500-

So conslusion-

197 Cup in Glacier white with Recaros speedlines & A/C-

Budget 9k will fit the bill for a 58 plate

( or buy a 200 cup ;) )

That answers that then! :smiley:
Tbh I am not liking the 200

The 197 cup with hardcore options seems the way to go then!
I would still need back seats to go down and have the ability to perhaps challenge it to a trackday or two..

:welcome: to the site dude, biggest difference compared to your current drive will be fuel consumption - clio's are thirsty beasties!!! But well worth it!:smile:

When looking- try & find one where someone has fitted the front splitter & spoiler as well

S

Whys this? Not sure what the front splitter looks like tbh. Any pics?
I've seen the spoiler on some and actually not liking it much! Was this and the splitter a factory optional extra? are these just for show or are they proven to increase additional downforce?

:welcome: to the site dude, biggest difference compared to your current drive will be fuel consumption - clio's are thirsty beasties!!! But well worth it!:smile:

How thirsty exactly, Cant imagine they are that bad!? I do love the Audi and can have plenty of poke with a remap they can push near 200GGs on standard Turbo and like said they are very efficient and fuel lasts forever compared to most things. I find it hard sometimes to refuel my other soo often, especially on track!

I think the Clio Cup would need to seriously pull some strings to win me over. I have been in a mates G/Dads 197 briefly (Standard one I think) and was quite impressed with its cornering but pretty gutless on the straights. Im not really relying on its speed thou but strictly its capability of going round corners in the twisties.

Look for a later version with the revised gear ratio's.

What was the issue here? More info would be great.

Last edited:
You can expect to get around 25mpg around town and 34 on the motorway doing no more than 70 mph. I have only touched 40 mpg once, then got bored of sitting behind a coach at 56 mph! Lol! The 197 has a great spec, including keyless entry and go, which I love. If you like the gadgets, then the normal 197 is the one to go for. if you like no frills basic fun, the cup is better. Having said that, the normal 197 was available with the cup chassis as an optional extra. These cars are the same spec as the 197, but have stiffer suspension and dampers as well as a few other bits. They differentiate from the non-cup chassis 197s by the anthracite alloys and red Brembos, as opposed to silver wheels and silver Brembos.

The 6th gear was made slightly longer so it bought the revs down by about 250 rpm at 70 mph, that's all.

The front splitter is a thick black plastic accessory that you screw to the bottom of the front bumper. Not sure if it has any effects, but I doubt it. They are more visual and personally I don't like them. The 197 was only offered with the cup spoiler as an option, but I have a genuine Renault 'Sport' spoiler from the standard Clio range. It is much more subtle than the Cup spoiler, again which I personally don't like.

You can expect to get around 25mpg around town and 34 on the motorway doing no more than 70 mph. I have only touched 40 mpg once, then got bored of sitting behind a coach at 56 mph! Lol! The 197 has a great spec, including keyless entry and go, which I love. If you like the gadgets, then the normal 197 is the one to go for. if you like no frills basic fun, the cup is better. Having said that, the normal 197 was available with the cup chassis as an optional extra. These cars are the same spec as the 197, but have stiffer suspension and dampers as well as a few other bits. They differentiate from the non-cup chassis 197s by the anthracite alloys and red Brembos, as opposed to silver wheels and silver Brembos.

The 6th gear was made slightly longer so it bought the revs down by about 250 rpm at 70 mph, that's all.

The front splitter is a thick black plastic accessory that you screw to the bottom of the front bumper. Not sure if it has any effects, but I doubt it. They are more visual and personally I don't like them. The 197 was only offered with the cup spoiler as an option, but I have a genuine Renault 'Sport' spoiler from the standard Clio range. It is much more subtle than the Cup spoiler, again which I personally don't like.

Thanks.. Thats not too bad I guess but not great either. Preference for options I thought today I would definitely need to include Xenons. Are the Xenons Bi-Xenon and does the active corner light system come with all Xenons or again an extra?

Sorry for all the questions.

Agree with Spoiler, I think I have seen the one you are talking about and looks a little more subtle.

The xenons come with the cornering lights, as do the projector lights. The standard lights (only ones available on a Cup car and are standard on the 197) are chrome with normal bulbs. Projectors are grey with cornering (like on my car) and the xenons look the same as the projectors but obviously have xenon bulbs. The way to tell if it has xenons over projectors (fitted as an option originally) is the headlamp washers fixed to the bumper. The car will also have auto lamp leaveling. I'm not sure if they are bi-xenon, not really sure what that means exactly though? Lol!

The xenons come with the cornering lights, as do the projector lights. The standard lights (only ones available on a Cup car and are standard on the 197) are chrome with normal bulbs. Projectors are grey with cornering (like on my car) and the xenons look the same as the projectors but obviously have xenon bulbs. The way to tell if it has xenons over projectors (fitted as an option originally) is the headlamp washers fixed to the bumper. The car will also have auto lamp leaveling. I'm not sure if they are bi-xenon, not really sure what that means exactly though? Lol!

Right little complicated that to say the least. lol
Bi- Xenon headlights offer both dipped beam and full beam, instead of full beam being normal halogen.

Similar Thread Suggestions