Head Unit and Rs Monitor Questions

burrellbloke

Paid Member
I did have one of these head units in my 200 Cup:

IMG_0689.jpeg

Together with this display:

IMG_0690.jpeg

I have now picked up a new head unit, a Bosch 281158179R, which I think is a RadioSat Classic Bluetooth? When I installed the new head unit I got nothing on the old display other than the time, and the new head unit would light up to show that it was powered up but did nothing else. I have worked out what the new radio code is but do not have a functioning display to put the code in yet.

I thought that I might need a new display unit so have invested in a RS Monitor together with a new stalk controller like this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/1923073701...pWja2mLmc5m17eSQFMwP73r2Z5jhQpf4aAvkeEALw_wcB

I understand that I will need CLIP to activate the RS Monitor. I have found a Chinese CLIP clone on eBay.

Does anyone know if this combination of parts will work together?

Also, I have RCA red and white phono inputs at the bottom of the centre console. I think that the new head unit should be able to cope with a USB input. Does anyone know if the wiring loom of a standard 200 Cup will allow me to replace the RCA inputs for a USB input without having to install any other equipment/wiring?

Stalk doesn't matter as you won't have the mic fitted anyway so you can forget handsfree, same goes for USB as you need a COM box and wiring etc. (Also, why would you need USB with Bluetooth etc.)?

As for display it should work with either head units, have you just tried putting the code in?

p.s. you can make USB etc. work but it's a ball ache and you need to be pretty handy with wiring and that. Can't help you on the RSmonitor but it's been done...

Hi,

I installed to a brand new Radiosat Bluetooth a couple of years ago. Same display as yours and had same problem. Stereo would light up but no prompt for the code and no sound whatsoever.

Pulled my hair out for a few hours, even bought the replacement RS monitor display thinking there was a compatibility issue. CLiP did report an error code but according to Renault troubleshooting docs it just pointed at an internal fault with the unit.

In the end I used CLiP to upgrade head unit firmware (took ~45mins on the laptop) and then finally it came alive. It was quite a moment I can tell you.

My goal was to have USB and Bluetooth so I also installed the hands free mic, CBox unit and all wiring/connectors. Bit of faff to get the wiring in place but luckily most of centre console comes apart easily.

A very expensive way to acquire a factory option, but glad I did it.

Ben.

I finally got my RS Monitor working at the weekend. I found a tip that you have to use a VIN of a Clio that came with a RS Monitor installed from new - odd but it worked. I then tried the new Bluetooth head unit again thinking if I had been able to use Clip to get the RS monitor working then it should be easy to get the new head unit working. No such luck.

The head unit I have got is brand new and has never been used. I used Clip to input my vehicle VIN and purchase date to the head unit, and then tried to input the settings for the headhunt as it is brand new, but I cannot get Clip to write all of the settings before the progress bar craps out at 30%. With the new head unit plugged in I get an error message on the new RS Monitor display which says "Connect dial tool".

I am guessing that "Connect dial tool" means Clip. I have a Chinese clone with v. 175 or 176 software.

On another site someone suggested to me that the Chinese clone Clip that I have got is not good enough to write long configuration parameters to the head unit.

_Ben_ when you say you wrote new firmware to the head unit how did you do that? I cannot see any options on Clip to update firmware. All I can see are options to enter configuration settings like if there is aux, USB, etc., etc. Also, where did you get the firmware file from?

My CLiP is clone too and same it struggles with long tests and there's a knack to get it to connect without crapping out all the time. You get what you pay for unfortunately... :expressionless:

I finally got my RS Monitor working at the weekend. I found a tip that you have to use a VIN of a Clio that came with a RS Monitor installed from new - odd but it worked. I then tried the new Bluetooth head unit again thinking if I had been able to use Clip to get the RS monitor working then it should be easy to get the new head unit working. No such luck.

The head unit I have got is brand new and has never been used. I used Clip to input my vehicle VIN and purchase date to the head unit, and then tried to input the settings for the headhunt as it is brand new, but I cannot get Clip to write all of the settings before the progress bar craps out at 30%. With the new head unit plugged in I get an error message on the new RS Monitor display which says "Connect dial tool".

I am guessing that "Connect dial tool" means Clip. I have a Chinese clone with v. 175 or 176 software.

On another site someone suggested to me that the Chinese clone Clip that I have got is not good enough to write long configuration parameters to the head unit.

_Ben_ when you say you wrote new firmware to the head unit how did you do that? I cannot see any options on Clip to update firmware. All I can see are options to enter configuration settings like if there is aux, USB, etc., etc. Also, where did you get the firmware file from?
Have you had a look if DDT4ALL can write the required parameters?

I have had a look at a demo version of ddt4all and it seems to have the ability to write the data I need to configure. I have ordered a USB ELM327 adapter so will give this a go next week.

ddt4all hardware is far cheaper than Clip clones.

I have had a look at a demo version of ddt4all and it seems to have the ability to write the data I need to configure. I have ordered a USB ELM327 adapter so will give this a go next week.

ddt4all hardware is far cheaper than Clip clones.
It’s a good bit of kit, especially for MK4 Clio owners in terms of activating certain functions.

Hi,

My memory is a little hazy, but was something like:

- Make sure car is connected to external 12v supply like a battery charger, recent versions of clip will prevent reprogramming operations otherwise
- Make sure laptop is connected to power, it took about 45 minutes for mine to complete
- Note, if this balls up there's every chance you'll brick the unit being programmed!!

Steps:
1. Find official "reprog" programming DVD ISO image at the time mine was version 1.64, I think 1.81 is available now - you can do this online with Renault but requires a subscription to dialogys online.
2. Mount the DVD in Windows by double clicking ISO image, should show up as a drive
3. When in clip, enter "reprogramming mode" which I think is one of the icons on the left hand side
4. Select Radio in list of ECUs - at this point clip should automatically detect the "reprog" mounted drive and selects the correct firmware
5. You'll be prompted to enter some details about the reprogramming operation like the date you did it and a repair order number

Towards end you'll also be asked to provide a "programming code". I can't remember exactly how this worked but involved using some software that came with my clip tool called "Renault pin extractor" - careful of malware. Clip will give you a request code for the programming operation and you need to give it back the corresponding reprogramming code. "Renault pin extractor" works this out for you.

When reprogramming starts, don't stop it. The radio backlight will flash on and off throughout and the multimedia display will go blank with an outside border if you have the RS monitor style LCD. It takes ages.

Afterwards you might need to reconfigure the radio with clip and be prompted to enter the radio security pin code using the front panel buttons

Possibly looks a lot scarier than it actually is.

Good luck.

Your error message on the multimedia display "connect diag tool" does mean the display (and possibly also the radio) needs to be coded and configured to your cars VIN number.

I've noticed that clip will crap out at 30% during reconfiguration operations when trying to update the car with an incorrect configuration. For example, if you try to reconfigure it with an under seat amplifier when one isn't actually plugged into the car. I tried this once for fun! Can you post up some screenshots of clip with the configuration data you are trying to program and also the network diagram showing all the connected units?

If you can post the screen shots that would be helpful.

I have been able to code the VIN to the display/RS Monitor which is working fine. When I activate the RS Monitor from the steering wheel stalk controls it works fine with no error message.

It is when I switch to the radio I get the connect diag tool message. I have been able to write the VIN to the radio. I can read that data in Clip and can see it has got the right VIN. It is the other more detailed configuration settings that it stops writing at 30% with an error message saying command impossible.

In clip, you can also see the stored/active error codes in the radio - is there anything showing up when you do that? (cant for life of me remember how you do that). I'm guessing you might have something like DF030 Comp Configuration error stored?

In the radio configuration screen what settings are you configuring? What is the value of LC004 SYSTEM CONFIGURATION? From your description, it should be set to CBOX0/NAV0, is that what it says? What is LC005 set to?

If you try to set CBOX1/NAV1 when neither is fitted, clip will stop at 30% and say command not possible. Might be worth checking.

I have connected Clip again and have got some of the screen shots you wanted. This is the CAN M network:

Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 20.01.57.png

This is the list of faults.

Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 20.02.30.png

This is the list of faults with the radio. I ma not sure what is missing for the error which is reported as "presence of other device"?

Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 20.03.04.png

I have already entered my car VIN for the radio.

Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 20.04.04.png

This is the computer configuration title screen for the radio.

Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 20.03.49.png

This is the radio configuration screen. I have manually changed the driving type to left hand drive, and vehicle type of 3-door hatch.

Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 20.05.12.png

When I click on validate the progress bar reaches 30% and then gives me this error.

Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 20.05.35.png

This is a list of the errors. I do not have a microphone for the radio.

Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 20.07.05.png

This is the diagnostic information. It shows the VIN code and purchase date have been stored.

Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 20.07.50.png

When I click on the DF030 error this is what it tells me.

Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 20.08.57.png

I have noticed this today - it suggests that I am missing a multimedia connection.

Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 20.10.43.png

My current equipment is the R208 Radiosat bluetooth radio. In my Clio 200 Cup is had an only red and white phono aux jack.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 20.04.04.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 20.04.04.png
    399.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 20.07.50.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 20.07.50.png
    574.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 20.07.05.png
    456.5 KB · Views: 7
    456.5 KB · Views: 8
    456.5 KB · Views: 7
If you've only got the red and white phono plugs you won't have the multimedia (USB) connection...

If you've only got the red and white phono plugs you won't have the multimedia (USB) connection...

I understand that.

Could that cause the error that prevents the radio configuration from saving and going past 30%? I am trying to save a configuration that only has an aux connection.

I must admit, that is a conundrum. I don't believe the radiosat bluetooth was ever available without the option of the USB/CBOX (computer 653 on the network drawing), but I figured the radio would work without it. My rationale for that I thought the CBOX only deals with USB/Aux and microphone connectivity.

The 30% crapping out is very likely because Clip is trying to configure settings that are not possible because 653 is missing. What's weird about that is that LC004 is configured exactly as I would expect for your set up ie. NAV0/AMP0/BOX0 and therefore clip shouldn't be trying to configure 653 or even check for its presence on the network..

I find Clip to be a little buggy sometimes, is there an option to reset its state and try from scratch?

I will try to set LC005 as you have suggested - but I am fairly sure I have tried that already.

Your idea of trying to reset the system also sounds very sensible.

If that fails I will try and source a C-Box. I have already purchased the USB and analog AUX input. Trying to find the cables for these extra parts is a bit of a pain. So far I have found one cable to go between the C Box and the USB input and that was £80.

I tried to use a ELM327 USB adapter yesterday and then discovered that to access the multimedia Renault equipment on the CAN2 network I would have to rewire it!

yeah, when I installed the CBOX I nearly passed out at the price from Renault for the connecting cable. I got lucky on ebay and found a CBOX with a cable. Hopefully can get it to work as a radio without going to that trouble though.