Has your gearbox been replaced? Yes or no?

Have you had the gearbox in your 197 / 200 replaced?

• No - I'm still running the original gearbox

Votes: 420 72.9%
  • Yes - I'm running a replacement gearbox

Votes: 156 27.1%

• Total voters
My latest 200 is a 2012 car on a 61 plate.

Done 9,000 miles and the gearbox is giving me issues already. Crunches when cold, quite badly. Lots of gear train noise off the throttle too. Very irritating.

I thought the drivetrain sound was pretty normal for the 200? I get this when off the throttle too which I don't like the sound of, but the box itself seems fine, no issues...touch wood....

Im still on the original gearbox and should be about to hit 73k this week!

Could do with a change of oil though, but ill do that when i change the engine oil in a couple of K

After some help as not many of us on 133.net have had gearbox issues and the only other person to have it on a 133 has disappeared!

My gearbox is being replaced on my 133 under warranty and originally had slight crunching into gears but I though nothing if it as it was only very occasionally, and then it finally went and got stuck in 1st with the synchro possibly being snapped off in the box, the car has only done 21k and is 2 years old.

I take it those under warranty didn't have to pay anything at all?

Also how long do they usually have the car for when replacing the box?

Sorry for the long post!

I've not had to do it but the general rule of thumb seems to have been that Renault give the gearbox a life of 100,000Miles. If you've done, for example, 21,000Miles then you would be expected to pay 21% of the repair and they would foot the bill for the remainder. It hasn't been an exact science though unfortunately and some people have had bigger contributions than others but a few people have come back on after speaking to RUK quoting figures based around this 100,000Miles idea. It's a bit of a strange one as on the Clio the gearbox is a non-service item so technically it should last the life of the car and not just ''x'' amount of miles. I'm not sure if it's the same story on the Twingo but I'd guess that that box is a non-service item as well...

I've not had to do it but the general rule of thumb seems to have been that Renault give the gearbox a life of 100,000Miles. If you've done, for example, 21,000Miles then you would be expected to pay 21% of the repair and they would foot the bill for the remainder. It hasn't been an exact science though unfortunately and some people have had bigger contributions than others but a few people have come back on after speaking to RUK quoting figures based around this 100,000Miles idea. It's a bit of a strange one as on the Clio the gearbox is a non-service item so technically it should last the life of the car and not just ''x'' amount of miles. I'm not sure if it's the same story on the Twingo but I'd guess that that box is a non-service item as well...

if the car is still under its 3yrs warranty then the cost to fix is £00.00 simple as that!

if out of warranty and low miles then they could/can "help" as said!

if they get the parts the job should be a quick turn around ie 1 day

Thanks for the quick replies.

I have just got off the phone with them and they said they have ordered a new gearbox today so fingers crossed I can have my own car back, I just hope they don't forget about the lower balljoints it originally only went in for...

Hmmm mine is getting the occasional crunch but I'm hoping its the clutch as it feels quite stiff and heavy.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I have just got off the phone with them and they said they have ordered a new gearbox today so fingers crossed I can have my own car back, I just hope they don't forget about the lower balljoints it originally only went in for...

How old is the car?

60 plate, 3 year warranty runs out November.

You will not get a warranty on the part, offer to pay something as in a few quid and if they accept it will warranty it for 12 months. I'd also ask for a clutch. They are £135 trade so even cheaper to them. Fitting is nothing once they get the box out anyway and saves you 8 hours labour in future.

Mine's been crunching into 4th for some time (3 1/2 years old, 26000 miles). Took it to the local dealers, who told me it's noisy selecting 4th (Thanks for that!) Quoted up to £1500 for repair. Rang Renault UK, who didn't seem very interested as I am, in their words, 'not a loyal customer'. I've only owned the Clio 1 year, and a Twingo 133 for 4 years before that! They said they'd never heard of the problem, and that someone would ring back today. They haven't.

To be honest though, I'm not too bothered, it's someone else's problem now!!:tongue_smilie: Sorry!:tomato:

Anyone any feedback on my query a while back, is the drive train noise when lifting off the throttle at higher revs normal from these cars? A lot of people said it seemed to be, just curious, hope I don't have any issues.

Mine definitely is noisy when coasting or on a steady throttle at low speed

shifts sweet enough though so not concerned just think its how they are. I'm changing the oil for motul tomorrow ready for croft at the weweekend just to keep on top of things

Yeah same as mine, hate that sound, makes me think something is wrong inside the box but it does shift fine.

Sorry to dig up an old post.

I'm a new to the forum and I purchased my Clio 200 cup just over 3 months ago. The car has covered just over 25k and I was getting the crunching into third which then developed into a terrible grinding noise when down shifting into forth. The car was a month under 4 years old a I managed to get a 50% reduction of a new gearbox so it cost me £1200.
Had the new box a week and all gears are quite knotty but 2nd is the most noticeable!
Anybody had a new gearbox and it's behaved like it from new and does it need to bed in?????

Only had my clio 197 a month now but bought it knowing it crunches into third and fourth was hoping an oil change and a bit of additive might of cured it, but hadn't realised how much of a problem it is with these models