Has your gearbox been replaced? Yes or no?

Have you had the gearbox in your 197 / 200 replaced?

• No - I'm still running the original gearbox

Votes: 420 72.9%
  • Yes - I'm running a replacement gearbox

Votes: 156 27.1%

• Total voters
Think that I have got a result today! Renault are going to contribute 90% of the cost and it will cost me £231! Don't think I can complain about that

Think that I have got a result today! Renault are going to contribute 90% of the cost and it will cost me £231! Don't think I can complain about that

as for a clutch!

they are £135 trade :thumbsup:

My 197 is fine going into gear but I'm finding that it's pretty loud ie a whirring noise when the acelerator isn't engaged at all.

Is this the bearings inside playing up? Is it going to go bang? Or are 197 boxes quite loud?

Done 5k on it so far and it's not caused issues, just anoying more than anything and got slightly louder.

Did have a search about but seems that issues are usually syncro related and not bearing whiring?

My 197 is fine going into gear but I'm finding that it's pretty loud ie a whirring noise when the acelerator isn't engaged at all.

Is this the bearings inside playing up? Is it going to go bang? Or are 197 boxes quite loud?

Done 5k on it so far and it's not caused issues, just anoying more than anything and got slightly louder.

Did have a search about but seems that issues are usually syncro related and not bearing whiring?

yes they can whine when off throttle (on over-run) mines done it since ive had it :poke:

this poll means that...

98.9% have had no issue....

or 1.1% have been faulty (based on total number of 197/200 and reported failures on here)

All depends how many come on here and report it.

I know of one car that has 3 boxes so the box is not 100% bullet proof although the tech did say that the owner drives it like a knob.

The tech also said the synchros had been changed in the revised boxes.

He also warned of the cheap reconditioned ones as they had seen them in the last that had simply been cleaned and repainted!

If you're finding it difficult to select gears as so many are has it occurred that it could be the clutch dragging? Continually slamming into gear when the clutch isn't doing its job properly is going to end badly.

I suspect many people do not let the box and engine get up to temp before they push hard. Mine is hard to get into gear, but only when cold. This may indicate that this box is particularly sensitive to cold oil (this happens despite the low weight oil used in the box, are the clearances too tight?). My guess is that it takes around 10 minutes of driving before the box is at optimum temp. Before that the car or box should not be pushed at all. If you make many 10-20 minute trips, this means that you can push the car less than half the time you're driving it.

I have installed a £70 engine heater which I run whenever I can. It is on a timer every morning before I go to work. When it has been on the engine is much less noisy on startup, and the box is silky smooth. I figure it is a sort of a life insurance for the engine and box, and it allows me to drive it harder on shorter trips.

Another thing. These cars get driven hard. Slow down your gear changes a few fractions of a second. It takes time for the syncros to grip and they need time to spin up the cogs to matching speed. Yes the box is probably weak, but if you drive it like a racing car, expect to rebuild it often - racing teams would.

I'm not saying my box will live forever, it might implode tomorrow for all I know, but I'm hoping I'm helping it hang on a little longer...

While this poll/thread would be more valuable if people were willing to give detailed information about their driving habits, shifting styles, driving styles and how long they wait before pushing hard along with the mileage and age of the box, the high number of complaints suggest an inherent problem, as other forums I frequent do not have these types of threads at all...

Last edited:
It heats the water jacket around the cylinders. The aluminium spreads the heat around the block and box. As long as the car is stationary there is little air movement to cool things down.

It is not ideal if one only looks at the box, but it helps. The greatest benefit is the reduced cold-start wear on the engine. The best solution for the box would be a self adhesive heater pad as it would heat the oil more directly. It will reduce the cooling surface of the gearox though, and may not be a good Idea for tracked cars.

Last edited:
58 plate 197
15,500 miles
230bhp
5 heavy trackdays and many many B road weekends
Several drag racing days

Gearbox always been faultless :smiley:

My two year old 200 gearbox is now crunching going into 4th, so looks like I will be getting hold of RUK when I get back from Le Mans next weekend to get it sorted.

Mine has just started crunching into 4th now. Just out of warranty and only on 24k. Spoke to Ruk today to get a case and hopefully I'm getting a decent contribution after I've got it booked into a Renault garage.

New box fitted at 21,000. To start with it was crunching in 4th at about 10,000 miles. So I avoided using 4th gear completely. At about 15,000 miles it started crunching in 3rd - not all the time, just now and then. Warranty was up next month, so I took it in and they replaced it under warranty. I'm worried now that the same thing could happen again. Shame because driving it since it has been done is like having a new car. Should also add that when it was new - after "running in" - I did rev it to the max quite often, still do now and then. This thread on pistonheads is also interesting:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1266015

Last edited:
New box fitted at 21,000. To start with it was crunching in 4th at about 10,000 miles. So I avoided using 4th gear completely. At about 15,000 miles it started crunching in 3rd - not all the time, just now and then. Warranty was up next month, so I took it in and they replaced it under warranty. I'm worried now that the same thing could happen again. Shame because driving it since it has been done is like having a new car. Should also add that when it was new - after "running in" - I did rev it to the max quite often, still do now and then. This thread on pistonheads is also interesting:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1266015

in which way you mean the complete plank that only goes on and slags off renault products...:whatever: