Has your gearbox been replaced? Yes or no?

Have you had the gearbox in your 197 / 200 replaced?

• No - I'm still running the original gearbox

Votes: 420 72.9%
  • Yes - I'm running a replacement gearbox

Votes: 156 27.1%

• Total voters
My car is 58 plate with 39,000 miles. I think when they work out contribution they go by brand loyalty and other stuff like how many Renaults your family owns etc. Not sure if this will help u get more contribution but hopefully it will.

This is my first renault so no "brand loyalty" to speak of.

As i keep telling Renault the issue is with the car not my loyalty, if the car is not engineered correctly then the number of Renaults I have owned is not relevant.

If they are keen to promote loyalty they would have offered me a comparable to that given to other owners. At only 24 years old i have many more years left to potentially buy tens of Renaults!

As a 22 year old I agree with you completely, they need to get people to build a loyalty and there not doing it with bad experiences and costly gearbox replacements. My Renault dealership wanted over £3000 when i called for a quote. Luckily I happen to have various family with Renaults, but even that was only good for 75% with a full dealer history for services and the car bought from them. Next time u talk to them try saying ur family have renaults it might help.

I have received a call today from customer services to say that Thiery Sybord has received my email and he is aware of my case.

I have also been told that he is of the opinion that Renault will not increase the amount they will contribute to the cost of the repairs so that it is in line with what others owners have been offered.

I had my gearbox replaced in August and it has been fine until today. 6th gear sounded like 3rd, I couldn't get it into first gear and it felt like the gearbox had moved! I have contacted Renault and it is getting seen to tomorrow. I did not like driving it today.

Early cars from 56- to 07-plate had a gearbox problem, the car crunching in second and third. Most were replaced under warranty, but not before much complaining on the part of customers. If you're looking at an early car, double-check that the gearbox has been replaced. The fault was remedied from late '07 onwards, and a taller sixth gear introduced to up mpg.

I have a 57 plate 2008 197 would this have the new box in the car has done 61,000 miles and touch wood feel fine so far. With the taller 6th what rpm does the new box rev at while driving at 70mph

Thanks

Early cars from 56- to 07-plate had a gearbox problem, the car crunching in second and third. Most were replaced under warranty, but not before much complaining on the part of customers. If you're looking at an early car, double-check that the gearbox has been replaced. The fault was remedied from late '07 onwards, and a taller sixth gear introduced to up mpg.

not really the 06 or 56 plate its more the 07 and 08 plates that have gearbox issues...the 200's have had plenty of the "better" gearbox break!!!!

new one on me! If anything the earlier cars were better..... just look at the 200 owners who've had replacements

56 plate
Original box.

Although, the car doesn't like first gear when cold. I intially thought this was a major proble untill I read about how common this issue is.

56 plate
Original box.

Although, the car doesn't like first gear when cold. I intially thought this was a major proble untill I read about how common this issue is.

yes very common - the reason why i went and changed to a fully synthetic gearbox oil :zomg:

'07
46k Miles

Original 'box, rural commute and regular trackdays as well as a monthly hoon... Sweet as a nut but stiff when cold. :thumbsup:

36k (6k in my ownership)

08 Plate

No issues other than cold selection after starting, I now start with first selected, no further issues. Box is tight and precise, finger tip changes are the norm, I'm probably doomed to failure now! Fully synthetic going in at the next service.

I'm very symathetic mind you, I don't give the car any beans until it's well warmed up, a good 15 minutes driving at least in this weather.

The 172 Cup box may have been a bit vague at times, but it was a pleasure to use when 'on it', failure is always at the back of my mind with the 197!

Last edited: