Has your gearbox been replaced? Yes or no?

Have you had the gearbox in your 197 / 200 replaced?

• No - I'm still running the original gearbox

Votes: 420 72.9%
  • Yes - I'm running a replacement gearbox

Votes: 156 27.1%

• Total voters
I don't know if mine has been replaced or not. Either way i'm currently on 58k without any unusual problems.

Chris

need to ask them - if parts are fitted whilst the car is under "normal" warranty then the parts are only covered for that period

if however you have parts/work carried out of warranty they should be covered by a 12month warranty via the renault dealership

This. Quite often, if RUK are involved they'll ask you which you'd rather have. i.e. cover under remainder of warranty but done for no cost, or a little cost to yourself but 12mths cover on parts and labour.

I'd just get in touch with RUK immediately. Let them deal with it. If the previous work was carried out udner warranty the chances are you wouldn't have received any paperwork - I don't have any for any of the warranty work I've had done, despite repeatedly badgering RUK for it.:angry:

Thanks for the advice chaps, I've been here before (under warranty) and it was a nightmare then, so I'm dreading this. Only way is to get to RUK and find out, I'll update this when I know what they suggest.

The gearbox fault

I'm looking around for my first Clio 197 but I've read a bit about the gearbox faults that occurred on cars in 2006-07. Obviously first I'll find out whether the gearbox has been changed when I go to view any cars but if it hasn't is there anything that a) I should be worried about because it hasn't been and b) what I should look out for.

I don't really want to be stumped for a huge bill as soon as a I buy one!

The gearbox seems to go on a lot of 197's and 200's, its a bit of a gamble, mine is in Renault at the moment and it only has 30,000km from 2010. Look out for the crunch you may get is all i can say as that's what goes wrong on most of them, the gearbox isn't as smooth as it should be in these cars...

I'm at a bit of a stalemate with Renault now... They have offered me 75% but I don't feel that is a great enough contribution and actually would only be willing to accept, if they were willing to fit my car with a later model geabox as opposed to the current TL4 that is in my 197; and in fact a 200 gearbox with longer 5th & 6th would be greatful (MPG!!!)... Very very unlikely though as I'm sure you would all agree.

They just seem to shrug off every comment and when I say about the forums they tell me that you cant take any of it as factual as it could ''be people saying things that aren't actually truthful''. At the end of the day. a fair point, but as we all know, the members here aren't robots and are in fact real people; this therefore just summarises how Renault are not willing to accept that they have in the past fitted gearboxes unfit for purpose and won't face the conesequences and think that ''warranty out of date'' is there big golden arguing point!

Does anybody have any recommendations on where to go now..?

Well I was looking around for a 2006/07 model 197 but after reading this thread and seeing out of, just over, 150 members that 25% of gearboxes have been replaced I'm kinda reluctant in pursing my 197 quest any longer. Real shame as a I had a test drive in one at the weekend and absolutely loved it :001_unsure:

Well I was looking around for a 2006/07 model 197 but after reading this thread and seeing out of, just over, 150 members that 25% of gearboxes have been replaced I'm kinda reluctant in pursing my 197 quest any longer. Real shame as a I had a test drive in one at the weekend and absolutely loved it :001_unsure:

also means 75% of owner have had no issues and that its only the ones that have actually taken time to vote...

if you find one and like it take out a warranty on it for piece of mind

I'm at a bit of a stalemate with Renault now... They have offered me 75% but I don't feel that is a great enough contribution and actually would only be willing to accept, if they were willing to fit my car with a later model geabox as opposed to the current TL4 that is in my 197; and in fact a 200 gearbox with longer 5th & 6th would be greatful (MPG!!!)... Very very unlikely though as I'm sure you would all agree.

They just seem to shrug off every comment and when I say about the forums they tell me that you cant take any of it as factual as it could ''be people saying things that aren't actually truthful''. At the end of the day. a fair point, but as we all know, the members here aren't robots and are in fact real people; this therefore just summarises how Renault are not willing to accept that they have in the past fitted gearboxes unfit for purpose and won't face the conesequences and think that ''warranty out of date'' is there big golden arguing point!

read back a few pages - been a few stuck out for more and got it!

use it as examples - put it to them - tell them its REAL!!!!

Unfortunately Renault don't have any obligation to anyone once the car's out of warranty. That's why I caved at 75%. If you really want more then you're looking at Sale of Goods Act against the retailer. That said, others have stuck out for more and got it.

What annoys me is the inconsistency. If they just stuck to a set figure and that's all anyone got, at least the whole process would be easier, rather than having to play a stupid and stressful game with them.

also means 75% of owner have had no issues and that its only the ones that have actually taken time to vote...

if you find one and like it take out a warranty on it for piece of mind

Yep, very true. It's often the beauty and the downfall of having so much information at hand nowadays. Before you'd just buy a car after inspecting it.

With all of that said if I were to go ahead and continue the search I'm presuming there's no way of telling that the gearbox is on it's way out? I've been in touch with one seller and I totally trust him what he says as he's had the car since Day 1 and had it serviced at the same dealer throughout. He said there's never been a gearbox issue with his car and no crunching of gears.

I presume though that that doesn't mean it won't develop the same issue that people are having issues with here. Does that sound correct?

The symptoms develop very quickly so yes, you could go and test drive the car and all be fine, only for it to develop thereafter. Whilst there are a great number of people who haven't had any issue, the numbers that have are still sizeable. I'd therefore recommend that anyone that's considering purchasing one should certainly do so with their eyes open, maybe even looking to take out a warranty as Foxy suggested.

a friend tell me that renault changed this three pieces synchro with a new type (only one piece)......:zap:

another renault fail?.................:nope:

first time seen pictures of the faulty parts!

in the boxes there is 2 synchro baulk rings that are "3-piece" the rest being single items...

If i order now new 3 gear syncro from renault, would i get most likely this new 1 part or that old 3 part (which will fail after time)

Just for the record, my gearbox started crunching into 4th 13 months ago and I had it repaired (not replaced) under extended warranty. Same issue again a month out of warranty. RUK and local dealership have offered a 90% contribution to get it repaired again, with a 12 month warranty on the part. Good outcome.