GW 200 CUP (clubsport->racecar->v2)

B2FB9AE8-BDC0-4578-8C01-BDBDFF30A3F5.jpeg

Lower and upper replaced, the difference is unbelievable, steering is now super tight to the point I now love driving it on the road again. Makes me think that things might have been bad for a while, don’t even remember it being this good when I first purchased.

Managed to convince NAD to do it (he really didn’t want to), apparently getting the joints out was easy however the driveshaft almost destroyed his 10T puller. Wishbone joint looked good so have left that for now, now that the entire front end has been taken apart it should be easy to do it again if required.

Probably going to try and get a day booked at Brands at the end of this month to do a shakedown whilst prices are relatively cheap.

My driveshaft was the same. 10 tonne puller was maxing out and didn't want to move, ended up taking the entire lot out (hub, lower arm and upright) and putting it in a 50 tonne press!

• Wow
Reactions: LiamP
Interesting first few months of 2022, booked a last minute track day at Brands in January to see if I had solved the clutch issue, however session 1 / lap 3 and the clutch went to the floor. Came back in and tried bleeding again but no difference with the feeling that the clutch just wasn’t engaging, had a sulk in the garage for a bit before trying my luck at getting on to do my ards test in the afternoon. Somehow they agreed to fit me in, quick 10 minute revision session and I was in the MSV M2’s taking the test, luckily passed so it wasn’t a complete waste of a day!

Gave Alex a ring later in the week and he agreed that it sounded like the slave had gone, needed a few weeks (mega busy) but organised a collection himself. He replaced the slave even though it had no evidence of a leak or could replicate the issue I was seeing on the road, it seems it needed a bit of heat before it started failing. He also took the box out and rebuilt 1/2 as it had a bit of synchro wear which was likely caused by the slave issue. Overall couldn’t expect anymore from him so fair play in rectifying an issue that most likely wasn’t his fault, again highly recommend!

He even ran a few more tests to see if my timing pull issue was still present, it seems on the road on some pulls it will incrementally pull the timing up to 7 degrees as you go up the rev range. What is odd is that I haven't noticed this on the track, has anyone else seen this before?

I collected on Saturday and booked a last minute day at Brands on Monday to test and happy to say the car performed faultlessly. The frontend feels super tight and responsive now the swivels have been upgraded and along with the diff it’s a complete animal with understeer non existent. Conditions where far from perfect due to hourly spells of rain but it was a super quiet day with only Ka’s to dodge.

Screenshot 2022-02-23 at 09.01.37.png

Looking at the data you can see the impact the diff has on corner exit, over half a second on druids alone, there is potential for far more gains if I can match my corner entry. I find trialing the brake in and the ability to use second now in druids makes things much trickier with the diff to hook it up with the exit but the potential is certainly there.

Screenshot 2022-02-23 at 09.01.46.png

Oil change on the engine and gearbox planned (Redline ready to go in) before Donington next month.

Nice post. Car looks banging.
which gripper did you opt for? I see Ktec list about a dozen options.
Im tempted by the road/race preset just wondered what you went for and how’s it to live with

I am having a Gripper with 40/65 ramps 60nm fitted next week - I will let you know how it is to live with after a few weeks of driving around with it.

Reactions: Big Ben
Mine is race which I think is 40/65 but 120nm preload, even a small amount of turn at slow speed you get noises, almost like when you have surface rust on the disks and then clunking noises over the top. Noise disappears (or gets downed out) once up to speed.

There where a few track spec Yaris GR's (exhaust/map/coilovers) on Monday and it seemed as though I could get the power down far better on exit even when taking the tighter line and way to slow on the throttle (you can see it pull me into the apex and I have to unwind :thumb:)

I think you are just a better driver than the Yaris drivers.

Top work and looks a very capable car!

I have now owned the cup for over a year having put on 5846 miles, easily over 50% on track with 17 track days and she has passed her MOT. Was a bit worried about passing due to all the changes I have made / no seatbelts or rear seats but with a few small fixes it was all good.

However currently looking very sorry for itself due to 5th popping out under revs, Alex is going to get it sorted on Monday (third time lucky). Snetterton still on for the 5th April after having to cancel Donington (although conditions looked terrible in the afternoon so probably a good thing)

Going to be distracted with racing in CMMCS Tin Tops this year so potentially less updates although getting a taste for a light car has given me more motivation to go fully stripped out and potentially go full race car for 2023 but will see how this year goes first…

Want to keep the focus of this thread on the Clio but brief race report from Sunday for those interested.

277302807_1141008559992008_6782883243518978185_n.jpg

Silverstone Int with the CMMCS and brscc, first time racing and first time ever at Silverstone made it very interesting! The saxo I am driving sits in the T3 class which is the lowest and was technically the slowest car on the grid with a 1600c 8v engine however it is extremely well setup full striped/ATB diff/AO48 tyres etc.

Qualifying - P12/22 1:22.843

Slightly intimidating lining up with the super saloons and very experienced racers whilst in the assembly area however they all shot off leaving me some clear track to try and work out where the racing line was :grinning:

Car was feeling great and starting pushing by lap 4, by lap 6 noticed my lap timer was showing a fastest time of 1:22.8 however I assumed that it was broken so turned it off. I was then distracted by a complete lack of power on the straights with the car refusing to rev above 5.5k, started short shifting which helped but obviously something was wrong. Moved my focus to learning the track and dodging a lot of debris on the finish straight due to a collision early on however the power issue seemed to get worse before the chequered flag came out. Due to the debris I had in fact missed the chequered flag the first time round so a quick visit to the Clerks office for a telling off (not a good start) luckily I wasn't the only one.

Came back to the pits to be told I was somehow P12/22 and did in fact manage a 1:22! Steve Everson was straight onto fixing the car, assumption was fuel starvation either from the pump or blockage/filter, the filter didn’t look good so was removed to see if that fixed the issue. Few tests runs and it seemed good and was ready for race one.

Race One - P12->DNF 1:22.388

Expecting to be at the back the pressure was now on as I was now starting right in the middle alongside M3’s and Civics from the classes above. Rolling start with the CMMCS which makes things slightly less stressful but the adrenaline going into the first corner is really something! Slightly slow on the start and not close enough to the car in front meant I lost a position before Abbey but allowed me to have some space however quickly got the it back taking the outside line through the complex. With the super saloons on cold slicks the mighty saxo isn’t far off the pace in the corners but they soon left me on the hanger straight. Focus was now on settling in and learning the track, straight back into the low 1:22’s before the fuel issue started again. I was hoping to try and finish but things got worse and I retired just after the first corner on lap 9 to prevent an incident / making things worse.

As I came back in the pump sounded as though it completely failed, back up on the jack and Steve was straight onto replacing and cleaning out the injectors. What seemed like just 10 minutes the car was back on 4 wheels and ready for race 2 although this time it would be at the back of the grid..

Race Two - P19->P11 1:20.744

Starting at the back is certainly less stressful but I still managed to start poorly being left for dead by the time I had come around the last corner. The inevitable bunch up in the complex meant I could take a few positions early doors. In hindsight I could have been more aggressive on the first lap as the car was feeling great and the tyres already switched on but considering I had never overtaken anyone in a race I opted for the ‘wait for mistakes’ tactic and take advantage of the corner speed possible in the saxo.

Soon caught up with the Civic that was behind me in quallifying in P11 and we had a great battle for a few laps and had a good feature on the TV coverage (see YouTube) With the Saxo well down on power and a lack of experience on my part it was a great learning experience in working out where I was faster and how I could make a move ‘stick’. On lap 8 I got a good exit of Abbey and saw a gap open up on the outside of Farm Curve, this forced a poor entry for the Civic allowing me to get on the inside for Village and the long straight. Neck and neck into Stowe with a lapping M3 on the inside I was just about able to hold onto the place. Kept things safe for the rest of the race but managed to get into the 1:20’s which I was chuffed with, also kept Marcus (owner of the saxo) on his toes in the Ascar by getting in the way as he lapped me on the final lap.

Final race I came P3 out of the tintops, looking at the times I was only about 1s off the pace of those ahead so buzzing for the next race in June at Brands Hatch. Overall very friendly group in the paddock across all the clubs/series, couldn't recommend racing enough to anyone who has the opportunity!

Got the car back from Alex late last week and gearbox feels brand new, it seems a circlip on the input shaft had failed resulting in lots of parts moving, I think @R20BTG had something similar happen after a rebuild?

Quick clean and on to Snetterton yesterday, the weather report was constantly changing but tbh didn’t expect the amount of rain we had when I arrived, was having second thoughts as I traveled the 2.5 hrs there.. The PS4’s stayed on and I adjusted the dampers slightly to sit in the middle of the settings (rear one click harder) with the aim of 34psi hot on the tyres.

(Note the 'Clio' de-badge)

51987096475_e08af9157c_o.jpg

I knew Snetterton could be slippery when wet but the first session was a bit of an eye opener, just trying to brake without the ABS getting involved was tricky enough let alone turning the damn thing. Braking off the racing line and going nice and deep I was still getting a lot of understeer on corner exit on the first session. Came in and adjusted the dampers slightly so that the front was 1 click softer (was the other way around) and it was a complete game changer, understeer disappeared and the car felt super stable through Bomb Hole and Coram. Had some tuition with Caitlin with main feedback focussed on brake release as I have a tendency to hold on too long taking out too much speed.

51986753019_f499328ea2_o.jpg

51985454982_4556fa340e_o.jpg

(Feel like it's missing a spoiler..)

Things started to dry out and had a good few laps with JoeS in their 197 Meglio, was great fun trying not to get destroyed on the straights :cry: My wet setup on the dampers was now starting to hurt as the front was now nose diving on the chicanes. Also had a few interesting moments with the BMW’s, see the insta.

Things dried out over lunch and I strapped on the AR1’s with my dampers back to dry setup I got some great sessions in the afternoon having a lot of fun trying to keep up with various cars. Tyres and pads have paid the price so that will be on the list to sort out before next time. Snetterton really shows up technique, you need to be near damn perfect on every corner to get a good time. At tracks like Silverstone/Goodwood you can get away with murder but here it seems any mistake gets turned into seconds before you even get to the next corner. Just started to get into the 18's before calling it a day whilst the car could still get me home.

51986947880_75e55dae10_o.jpg

Made some naughty purchases including a new steering wheel which I think is the first buy that isn’t 100% functional for the car. Not completely happy with the current position of seat and wheel so going to make some adjustments once it arrives. Also got some aerocatches for the bonnet and tailgate which should save a few grams. Still undecided on going fully stripped out yet...

Next track day on the 3rd May at Goodwood with EJS Trackdays (still some space)

Still can’t get over the youth diving up your inside.
He was all over the place when I was last there. Really seemed like a bit of a ‘all the gear no idea’ kinda lad.

Yeah I had exactly the same issue with my gearbox, circlip failure on the input shaft led to float up and down and lots of damage.

Nice write up, car is looking quick

Still can’t get over the youth diving up your inside.
He was all over the place when I was last there. Really seemed like a bit of a ‘all the gear no idea’ kinda lad.

He was driving like he owned the track his Instagram points to inexperience, even overtook me on a red flag, enjoyed the abuse he got on fb though.

A cup spoiler on the way yet..?

£350+ for more weight is too much for me although I admit the mk3 needs it.

Reactions: EthanMenace
Some exciting stuff arrived, all looks way too nice to use! Wheel is much smaller than I was expecting which is good as I was getting fed up of the bus steering wheel.

Just waiting on the most expensive QR hub known to man to arrive before I can start to piece it all together...

Screenshot 2022-04-07 at 19.14.33.png

Screenshot 2022-04-07 at 19.14.42.png

Small steering wheel makes a huge difference. I suppose this cup Sabelt is 330mm, the same as my current wheel (sabelt too, but generic, non-RS). Well you will certainly feel the force :smile: It is like go-karting.

Reactions: Beany and LiamP
Small steering wheel makes a huge difference. I suppose this cup Sabelt is 330mm, the same as my current wheel (sabelt too, but generic, non-RS). Well you will certainly feel the force :smile: It is like go-karting.
Echo this…. Makes a massive handling feel difference

Excellent, exactly what I am after, find the OEM wheel takes a lot of the feeling out, can't wait to get it fitted.

Reactions: Beany
Excellent, exactly what I am after, find the OEM wheel takes a lot of the feeling out, can't wait to get it fitted.
In my opinion, the worst thing about stock steering wheel is the shape(thickness) of steering wheel arms (or whatever you call it), where you hold it. I cannot wrap fingers round it to hold it nicely.
Sabelt wheel is way better shaped in this area. And is not squishy at all, so you dont have to "deathgrip" to maintain feeling.