Golf R32

very nealy got a mk5 before the 200,they are very nice motor but would say for fun on b roads the 200 has the edge,they do sound sweet when giving it full whack.

TBH I love these cars, my Brother in law had both the Mk4 and Mk5. Both very capable machines, I drove them both quite a few times. Like people have said their performance isn't earth shattering but they just pull whatever gear your in at any speed!

If you can put up with the horrendous MPG and only want good cruiser and quick point to point car without the involvement then they're hard to beat. The problem I always had with them was the weight and soft suspension, I took my 197 and his Mk5 R32 out round Mallory Park back to back, and can honestly say the Clio was massively more fun! In the golf you had to turn in before you actually though you should to let the car lean in and sort itself out, it just felt like it really didn't want to go round the corners. Despite his 4WD and fancy Michelin Tyres vs my FWD and Hankooks I had more grip mid corner, better adjustabilty and better turn in.

Oh and they aren't built quite a good as you might think, his first one was constantly knocking, he got bored of trying to figure out what it was so flogged it, the MK5 also has rattles and squeeks, he's also managed to snap off a few bits of trim (inc. the lever to move the seat). A little disappointing from Ze Germans...

Thanks for the input lads. I have to admit I took the clio for a proper blast last night and it will take an awful lot to beat its performance through the bends.

Maybe just get a Meg or a supercharger!

Thanks for the input lads. I have to admit I took the clio for a proper blast last night and it will take an awful lot to beat its performance through the bends.

Maybe just get a Meg or a supercharger!

Do the Meg bud you wont regret it i mean how many cars do you start moding at 250 break lol :thumbup:

the MK4 R32 was the most stolen car for a few years.
because the parts were so desirable and they were easy to nick.

the MK4 R32 was the most stolen car for a few years.
because the parts were so desirable and they were easy to nick.

Your not wrong, brother in laws got nicked, though they did break in to the house and take the keys. Had a tracker though so the cops found it the day after. When they found it, it was full of drugs and guns! I think it lead to one of the biggest drugs hauls in the local polices history!

Car was a wreck when he got it back though, full of dust (from fingerprinting) and we reckon the cops had the engine out at some stage as it knocked and rattled like a bitch afterwards. It took weeks to get the damn thing back, then they invoiced HIM for the impound/lockup charges!

Sorry to get OT. Back on topic: The seats in the MK4 were frigging epic! The standard seats in the MK5 are crap in comparison. I think Recaros were an option though?

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Non-Clio For Sale 1
C Gallery 18
BenW Other Marques 22
A2ON Other Marques 11
R Detailing 3