Gearbox problem

Not the common gear box problem, but was doing spirited driving and going from 5th into 6th I missed 6th and put it in 4th...

Then tried putting back into 6th and it wouldn't have it, got 4th again!

Then the car cut all power, so had 0 throttle response in all gears.

Came to a stop and had no power, went to 500 rpm then up to 1000 then back!

Turned off and on again and power was restored, but now can't get 5th or 6th gear!

5th seems to be 3rd
6th seems to be 4th

All other gears and reverse is fine.

Help would be appreciated!

Cheers

Gah!!!

That doesn't sound good.

I'd also be a bit worried about the engine. Did you over-rev it going into 4th!?! :worried:

Gah!!!

That doesn't sound good.

I'd also be a bit worried about the engine. Did you over-rev it going into 4th!?! :worried:

Umm I didn't rev it when I realised I'd put it into 4th... I re engaged the clutch straight away!
And had a little drive about after it and engine seems fine and all other gears are fine, but the gearstick has a silly amount of play in it, like I can move it when it's in gear :/

That sounds very strange Tom, wish I could help.

Hopefully its just a one off quirk, either way might be an idea to get Renault to have a look.

Have a check of all the rods/balljoints on the top of the gearbox tomorrow when it's light, something might have bent or been damaged. I'd keep a keen ear out on the engine too over the next few days, the rev limiter will stop you over-revving on the way up but on the way back down it will do nothing to save the engine. They don't work both ways unfortunately...

Cheers guys, shall have someone take a look Monday! Hope it's not the gearbox that has gone!
And willis, what should I keep an ear out for?

If you hear anything that sounds like a bag of spanners being shaken!!! :smiley:

Hopefully you'll have got the clutch back in nice and quickly and she'll be ok. But just be a bit more vigilant and if there's any noises at startup or idle in the morning that you're not used to hearing then make sure you get somebody to have a good once over. If you'd have gone well over the revs then it'd have just grenaded so you might well have got lucky this time.

I know of a Gallardo that did the same thing and went from a V10 to a V7 in about half a second. :worried:

Last edited:
Yeah shall keep an ear out lol cheers again for advice!
Also would not want to have been the person to have done that to the lambo :/

No worries mate, fingers crossed! :smile:

Hahaha yeah he wasn't best pleased! Rough price for the fitting of a new engine, including parts, was just shy of £25,000. It happened in June and the car is still sat in the workshop as he's adamant that it wasn't his fault... But the data logger tells a different story! :tongueout:

As Will says listen out for strange noises. Mad thing is when you purposely listen to the engine you always hear something your not used too..

Yeah, I also had the gear linkage go on my Corsa... And the gear stick feels similar to that now... But 1st to 4th is fine and 5th 6th is missing