Track day clutch/gearbox problems

Hs197

Paid Member
I'm having problems selecting gears when the car gets hot on a track day.
Once I have been out for a few outings and the car doesn't like to go back down gears.
I have just had a brand new Renault clutch kit fitted and I have all oem fluids.

I have been told to try race fluids etc, as the standard stuff probably can't stand the temperature.

Has anyone else encountered any simlar problems?
Thanks

Decent fluid and a clutch bleed. Also worth changing the gearbox oil

Also worth checking the selector cables move freely and are located correctly on top of the gearbox

Last edited:
i have not got this problem..every gearbox gets hot on a track day..to minimize the above issue would be using race approved fluids and depressing the clutch fully..happened once last sunday and it was cause i missed the gear..well happens sometimes

if the problems persist then i would search for some advice at a local garage or some one who tracks their car often..

Ah okay.
Thanks lads.
Think I'll try the fluids and that first, at a track day next week so I'll get it done and see how it goes then.

i have not got this problem..every gearbox gets hot on a track day..to minimize the above issue would be using race approved fluids and depressing the clutch fully..happened once last sunday and it was cause i missed the gear..well happens sometimes

if the problems persist then i would search for some advice at a local garage or some one who tracks their car often..

Just out of interest do you know any people how have just track ones on here.
As ours is a 197 and is only tracked so would be good to know other people for advice.

Just seen Pav mentioned my name here.
I have had similar in the past on track. Decent redline fluid in the box and stiffening everything up engine mounts and gearbox mounts made gear changes easier, sometimes 2nd to 3rd would be a dead stop and wouldn't go in on the limiter. Polybushed everything and no issues now. I've also bled my clutch recently because I had a squeeky clutch pedal from the brake fluid choice I used but it didn't make a difference tk the shifting but good to have it done for peace of mind.

Reactions: Pav
I often tend to miss 4th gear on track. To be honest though, I think its more user error than a mechanical problem.

Changing down to 3rd seems to be my issue. New gearbox oil going in tomorrow so hopefully like you it eases the problem.