Gearbox issues, 3rd and 4th fixed, now problems with 2nd

I have recently (2 weeks ago) had 3rd and 4th gears replaced along with new synchros) the car then went back to the garage as the shift didnt feel right, alot of movement in 2nd gear and when shifting from 3rd at hi revs the gear lever would kick, also i was getting slight torque steer at motorway speed. they sorted the torque steer issue, i believe the it wasnt fully tight on its mounts.

but now, the synchros seem to be knackered in 2nd, to say im peed off is an understatement, i would have hoped that upon stripping the gearbox they would have carried out a full inspection, my assumption was that this was done as ther list of parts they advised needed replacing was fairly comprehensive, including bearings, shafts, seals etc.

My question is has anyone else had the synchros go on 2nd cog, ive not heared of it before on a 197/200?

A garage is unlikely going to replace all synchros if only 3rd and 4th are knackered. Not sure that the 1st and 2nd synchro are prone to failing. They are 3 piece synchros rather than 3rd and 4th synchro. Possibly it's been put together wrong.

A garage is unlikely going to replace all synchros if only 3rd and 4th are knackered. Not sure that the 1st and 2nd synchro are prone to failing. They are 3 piece synchros rather than 3rd and 4th synchro. Possibly it's been put together wrong.

I would most likely say this! I strip gearboxes and repair them On a daily basis and would think that 2nd going that quick would say something has not been put together right it positioned correctly! Not saying that these things don't happen ie 2nd gear going so quick after 3rd 4th replaced but usually in my experience you get prior warning of it. Was there any issued at all with 2nd before the other synchros were replaced ?

My 2nd gear crunches sometimes. 3rd and 4th can be a issue too but rarely

Rev matching really takes the load off of the synchros as well when dropping down gears.
Agreed. I always rev match when downshifting. Can't say the same for the previous owners though. The only time I have problems shifting is when going up through the box.

no there had been no issues with 2nd at all, the synchros on 3rd were the first to go, but that took ages to happen, it started with the slightest of crunches occasionally which gradually got worse over 40k miles or so, same with 4th, however 2nd went from not doing it to crunching really bad instantly.

i drive 100 miles a day, 90 of those are motor way miles so 2nd doesnt get much use....

The garage called me back yesterday and have agreed to take the car back in and have a look, if it is down to mis-assembly they will cover the parts and the labour, if it is just a genuine failure then i will have to cover the cost of the parts and we'll go 50/50 on the labour