Gearbox problem on RS Clio 200 2010

Well my car went into Renault last nyt bcas of a whirling noise coming from the gearbox and they have called me this afternoon to tell me the gearbox ain't got another 1k miles in it! They gonna do sum more tests tomorrow to find out the actual cause of the problem the guy who is dealing wiv my car has told me he's top technician is working on it :worried: anyone else had this problem wiv the gearbox and can give me a heads up wot the cause is?

Also, what kind of a whine is it? Is it constant? Or is it when you let off the throttle at high rpm? If the second one, "they all do that," but it helped mine greatly by replacing the gearbox oil with the recommended Elf oil.

It's still under warranty from EAG in lakeside where I purchased the car from I only got it October last year so I will not be paying a penny and I have had problem after problem with it! I just don't think the car was meant for me but I love it so much. The noise occurs wen it's in gear and I let off the clutch or accelerator it started off really loud last week then went completely and come back which was really strange so I rung the Renault garage and sed I was unsure about bringing it down they sed it was entirely up to me as they could possibly find a problem with out the noise if it was summit major and so glad I did take it in now. I would understand if it was an old banger and had loads of miles on it but it ain't even done 25k. I will check out that link now thanks

It's not a whining noise it's more like summit is spinning. I guess I'll just have to wait for Renault to let me know the outcome after they done more tests on it. But they sed it needs new box :worried: I'm proper gutted as I absolutely love the car now got a crappy 1.2 auto Clio courtesy car.

Only started in the last few weeks never had any noise out of it and surely if it was just down to an oil change then Renault wouldn't of told me the box ain't got 1k left in it???

If my experience with Renault main dealers is anything to go by, they have no idea of the difference between these cars and the 1.2 that you're currently driving. I'm not sure why they said the thing about 1,000 miles before they've properly inspected it though?

Anyway, if they offer a brand new 'box under warranty, with no cost to you, bite their hand off. But get the oil swapped to the Elf NFJ as a precautionary measure if they aren't going to do anything.

At this point I should mention that my 197's then recently replaced gearbox was filled with the wrong oil by Renault Croydon. Ste at SC Autos noticed the oil smelt off after I brought it in and after some persuasion Renault Manchester agreed to change the oil. It was a huge improvement but the damage had been done. I got a new gearbox basically for free, as the previous replacement was under warranty still.

Unfortunately people's success at getting Renault UK contributions for gearboxes seems to vary according to how much of a fuss they make. They still pretend there's nothing wrong with these gearboxes. If your car has a dealer history and appears well maintained then you'll almost certainly be able to get a substantial contribution *if* you're assertive.

The Renault garage that has my car (Toomey's Basildon) called me last nyt. All work being done under warranty so no cost to me :smiley: but they only worrying thing is they can't actually tell me Wots wrong wiv the gearbox??? Can't be due to driver error (grinding gears, bad gear changes etc) or warranty wouldn't be covered so I'm assuming it's one of the BAD boxes I've read about. Should have my car back end of next week. Thanks for ur help guys. Greatly appreciated. I will also ask if they can put that Elf NFJ oil into the new box.