Fuel Consumption - How many miles do you get from a FULL TANK?

Ive had mine about a week and a bit, never got it over 25mpg

I do a 13mile commute to work, including a brief stint on the m62 (only one junction), usually at around 60mph, I drive steady to work, and sometimes give it some beans on the country roads back, but only for the maximum of about 4minutes lol.

Costing me around £30-35 a week to do around 162 miles. I can live with that considering the smile it puts on my face everytime i give it some stick. To put it in perspective, my 2.0TDI passat estate used to cost £20-25 a week.

mine is currently at 30.3mpg on the trip computer. When tank is full at that, it gives me a range of 386 miles

I used mine on the Gaydon for the first time since owning it and I was shocked how bad it was!!!

I was doing around 70-80mph and Dad was following in his Twingo so was driving sensablely so not to loose him, air con was on all the time and all the computer said it was doing was 27.4mpg!!

I know when dad and I went to France in it he only managed 30.4mpg with no aircon!

My Clio V6 will do 30mpg no problem, my 406 V6 Estate will do 26.6mpg towing a Brain James Race Shullte with my 306 race car in it, unlaiden it will do 36.4mpg on a good run.

Hell when we went to France in my Mi16 powered 205 GTi that even did 35mpg! Janes 306 GTi-6 will do 34mpg

I bought the 197 as a sensable (ish) standard car but it seems its the most un-economical one of the lot! but it revs at 4000rpm at 75mph so you can see why really.

Later car after mine got a revised gearbox so this must help mpg?

I've been to France a few times and I swear there roads give me 3-4 more mpg than the crapmac surface we have in the UK.

Later car after mine got a revised gearbox so this must help mpg?

If only, I've never managed to get it over 30 driving normally.

Did 90 mongooses per halibut to Gayden and back and got 27mpg, which seems to be what I get all the time unless it's on a track.

p.s. if I do 70-75 I only get marginally better results maybe 29 ish overall.

Last edited:
If only, I've never managed to get it over 30 driving normally.

Did 90 mongooses per halibut to Gayden and back and got 27mpg, which seems to be what I get all the time unless it's on a track.

p.s. if I do 70-75 I only get marginally better results maybe 29 ish overall.

Agree, doesn't help mpg at all. Tell the truth the Trouble is you've got to boot it for it to feel fast at all.

Does lower the revs to 3,100 at 70 mph though.

Last edited:
I jus sit at 65 on motorways 36-37mpg! Did the newer box make a difference compAred to the first one they did on the 197s?

we did deepest darkest kent to stoke on thursday mainly motorway 72 plus some stop start around birmingham, 2 trips to alton towers and back round the lovley bendy roads.

from there to gaydon with climate on, hotel to heritage and back. and back to kent full climate all the way on monday just over 650 miles.

average mph 48
average mpg 33.9

I get around 300miles from a tank thats including red light, do exactly that a week to work, sometimes if I drive hard I have to fill up on a Thursday.

So would you say at 35 mpg you could have managed 400 miles?

I've had and average of 35mpg out of mine on long journeys.

My average over a few thousand miles since I last reset it seems to have settled down to 29.2mpg which I'm pretty happy with given that I'm no stranger to the gear shift indicator.

It's also only ever been run on Momentum 99.

Really dont know how you guys are getting so much per tank...
The most ive ever had was 350 (round trip Silverstone) last year.
That was 98% motorway and 70mph.
Since that day i have never had anywhere near that.
Normal week which is ALL motorway (live 500yrs from the m/way and work 500yrs off the other end of the m/way) Petrol light comes on at around 260 miles, winter was more round 220/230 miles. Trip mpg has never shown more than 32mpg, most the time its in the 20's (21 to 26)
My 182 was far better on fuel and i drove the 182 twice as hard as i drive the 200.

Really dont know how you guys are getting so much per tank...
The most ive ever had was 350 (round trip Silverstone) last year.
That was 98% motorway and 70mph.
Since that day i have never had anywhere near that.
Normal week which is ALL motorway (live 500yrs from the m/way and work 500yrs off the other end of the m/way) Petrol light comes on at around 260 miles, winter was more round 220/230 miles. Trip mpg has never shown more than 32mpg, most the time its in the 20's (21 to 26)
My 182 was far better on fuel and i drove the 182 twice as hard as i drive the 200.

That doesn't sound right. Unless you are driving in no mote than 3rd I'd take it to the dealer and ask them why it's using so much fuel.