Front Suspension Noise At Very Slow Speed - 197

Those shock absorbers look ready for a change too - I've never seen any with that much corrosion on!

Those shock absorbers look ready for a change too - I've never seen any with that much corrosion on!
The shocks are underneath that casing, which I agree is pretty bad. I was thinking of replacing everything once I've figured out where the knock is coming from.

I didn't realise that whole piece was the shock. I thought it was on the inside. My mechanic reckons the poor state of the shock where the spring sits is the cause. If you look closely you'll see its bent and distorted so maybe when the spring expands and turns on the shock it's causing it to knock. He's going to take the car in and have a proper look on Friday.

Anyone know roughly how much a standard shock will cost?

I didn't realise that whole piece was the shock. I thought it was on the inside. My mechanic reckons the poor state of the shock where the spring sits is the cause. If you look closely you'll see its bent and distorted so maybe when the spring expands and turns on the shock it's causing it to knock. He's going to take the car in and have a proper look on Friday.

Anyone know roughly how much a standard shock will cost?

Maybe, but if you have movement in the droplinks replace those first (cheaper).
If you replace shocks, better to replace them as a pair. £64 each from RenaultPartsDirect.

Maybe, but if you have movement in the droplinks replace those first (cheaper).
If you replace shocks, better to replace them as a pair. £64 each from RenaultPartsDirect.
The mechanic will have a good look and we'll replace all shocks and drop links if necessary. He had a good feel around while I raised and lowered the car on my jack and he felt the knock on the shock, spring and the drop link, so at least now he knows where to start looking, so we're getting somewhere at least!

The shocks are corroded to hell so I'll replace them soon enough anyway, even if the knocking isn't coming from there.

Last edited:
Ok lads, so my mechanic has discovered it's the 'horizontal' drop link that's making the noise, rather than the one in the picture. Does that make sense? Anyone have a picture & know roughly how much these are?

Last edited:
Ok lads, so my mechanic has discovered it's the 'horizontal' drop link that's making the noise, rather than the one in the picture. Does that make sense? Anyone have a picture & know roughly how much these are?
Those are known as the anti rotation links, let me find a link.

00352949101.bmp.jpg

29491 01 - Lemforder
JTS466 - TRW

Attachments

• 00352949101.bmp.jpg
    00352949101.bmp.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 13