Front Suspension Dead, Suggestions?

I've just had news from my local garage. I had them investigating a creak/scrape noise from the drivers side front when steering.

The run down goes;

both front springs cracked/broken,
lower ball joint failing (which I kind of guessed from the noise)
an issue with the wish bone on the left.

Ouch.

So, I need to get new springs/shocks or coilovers. My original plan was to source cup shocks and some eibach springs.

Can I get some suggestions/recommendations from you guys? I want to drop the car about 20mm (max maybe 30mm). I don't do track days, just commuting and a bit of fast road driving. Is it worth getting a set of coilovers? or just stick with my original idea? or maybe something else?

Eibach Springs and Cup shocks will do you fine.

However...buying the whole lot, you might be better off spending a little extra and getting Bilstein B14 coilovers. Gives you a bit more freedom plus all 4 corners are done and fresh then!

Reactions: HyperSquiZ
Eibach Springs and Cup shocks will do you fine.

However...buying the whole lot, you might be better off spending a little extra and getting Bilstein B14 coilovers. Gives you a bit more freedom plus all 4 corners are done and fresh then!

How does the B14 compare to a fresh cup suspension in terms of comfort / ride quality? Does the ride (low-ish speed particularly) gets a bit more compliant or even crashier? I can't seem to find Koni's for my late 200 cup suspension so toying with the idea of B14's or brand new cup suspsension. With Koni's I could go softer on daily and harder on track...

How does the B14 compare to a fresh cup suspension in terms of comfort / ride quality? Does the ride (low-ish speed particularly) gets a bit more compliant or even crashier? I can't seem to find Koni's for my late 200 cup suspension so toying with the idea of B14's or brand new cup suspsension. With Koni's I could go softer on daily and harder on track...

I honestly couldn’t comment on comfort etc of B14s, @Pav runs them as do several others, really popular setup for these it seems.

I’m running Gaz Golds which are adjustable but I’ll be the first to say that they aren’t really road suited. Absolutely insane on track though.

Reactions: Pav
The Bilstein are in my toughts better for daily use, they give more comfort. For track they are a little too soft.

Reactions: wattson
I honestly couldn’t comment on comfort etc of B14s, @Pav runs them as do several others, really popular setup for these it seems.

I’m running Gaz Golds which are adjustable but I’ll be the first to say that they aren’t really road suited. Absolutely insane on track though.

thanks for the mention Ben...yeah they are a good compromise when it comes to comfort and usability on public roads..not too firm but will have confidence when cornering and pushing hard..

i wouldnt go cup and eibach springs as it will test your patience and teeth..a bit too harsh if you dont do track days..

hope this helps

Last edited:
Reactions: wattson
Thanks for the info guys. I'll go b14 if there is definitely no konis for late 200. Still finding that a little weird, contacted another company asking if they have in stock...

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

I had similar problem last summer. 2 front springs were faulty.
My car was full fat suspension. That is just correct for potholes and bad roads.

My solution:
2 x new front springs (genuine)
4x shocks (genuine)

This kit came from RPD. Not so expensive.

in my opinion these cars are so great to drive from factory i dont want to change anything.
And when you install stock parts, you know that it will be great to drive.

But hey, i am old man who is living in Finland where roads are crap.

Here is picture what i bought from @renaultpartsdirect

20170713_095640.jpg\medium

I have just gone to Cup shocks from knackered standard shocks (paid £140 posted for 2nd hand Cup shocks from a car with 35k on the clock, Eibach springs and topmounts) and the ride is on par if not a bit better than the standard shocks. I also had H&R springs before and they are very hard, combined with crashy slow shock absorbers the ride was hard. Now its hard but compliant, the harder juts are taken better, especially in quick succession. Id pick Eibach springs over any others personally, having had both they are more compliant for mid level bump absorption. Being firmer suspension the little bump absorption is rubbish anyway. The photo below shows the rear difference between springs.

20180617_212446.jpg

I couldn't comment on coilovers but to stick anything naff on would be doing a disservice to the car and upset the handling/make it unfun to drive, hence why a lot stick to B14 as they are generally a good all rounder.

+1 for the B14s mate. They are great on the road and decent on trackdays. They seem quite well built too.

I find it funny how every time an average person (read not into cars) rides with me they complain about the ride and wonder if I have any springs at all on the car! And here we are talking how B14s are on the softer side of things :smiley:

I think in the long run I'm going to follow what a lot of people are saying and go for the B14's. But in the short term I've had the garage fit replacement standard springs. While under there I got them to fit uprated ball joints that I sourced and they replaced a few other parts that had rusted.

It took them a day and a bit to get the front apart due to everything being rusted solid and the rest of the second day to reassemble.

They did a good job overall but my god did the labour costs sting. I sourced parts myself from various places, but the labour costs were close to £1000.

I've also got the car booked into two techs to replace the exhaust manifold with a toyosport one I bought.

The B14's are going to have to wait until next year I expect.