Front Suspension Noise At Very Slow Speed - 197

I have a noise coming from my front (right) suspension when I move off slowly in first gear or reverse out my drive. It sounds like an old rusty spring stretching and contracting. However, I had the front springs replaced and the noise disappeared for a few days but its slowly come back and is worse again now. Today I jacked up the car and as I was jacking it up I could hear the same noise (slower obviously) as the spring expanded but couldn't pin-point it to anything. When I put my ear closer it definitely sounds like its coming from the spring/shock absorber area. The area where the bottom of the spring sits is a bit rusty too. Any thoughts?

Does it only happen when you turn the wheel ?
A little when I turn the wheel but mostly when I'm say, reversing in and out of the driveway - that slowly. And its worse when I'm doing a hill start, if you get me. It sounds like metal stretching and contracting. I'm 99% sure its coming from the strut area somewhere.

I would be looking at the top mounts , bearings could be gone , if so there will be no rotation and all torque transferred through the spring itself.

I jacked up the car today and had a feel around for the knock as I was doing so. It was definitely coming from the strut area as the car raised and the spring expanded. There's a little vertical arm about 10mm thick and 10-15cm long thats attached from the strut downwards. I could feel the knock most prominently around the joint (rubber seal?) where this little arm joins the strut.

It's possible however that the knock is coming from elsewhere but it's transferring through the spring and strut. It's so frustrating!!

I jacked up the car today and had a feel around for the knock as I was doing so. It was definitely coming from the strut area as the car raised and the spring expanded. There's a little vertical arm about 10mm thick and 10-15cm long thats attached from the strut downwards. I could feel the knock most prominently around the joint (rubber seal?) where this little arm joins the strut.

It's possible however that the knock is coming from elsewhere but it's transferring through the spring and strut. It's so frustrating!!

jts432.jpg

Sounds like the droplink, do you have a picture ? There should be no movement at all in it.

Right behind this nut is the rubber end and I feel the knock most prominently here.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2128.jpg
    IMG_2128.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2128a.jpg
    IMG_2128a.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 170
What's it called? Are these a common issue, do you know by any chance?
Stabiliser link.

My recommendation are the Meyle HD (Heavy duty) suspension parts. Next best thing are Lemforder and TRW.

Product code for the Meyle HD is 35-16 060 0021/HD.

Stabiliser link.

My recommendation are the Meyle HD (Heavy duty) suspension parts. Next best thing are Lemforder and TRW.

Product code for the Meyle HD is 35-16 060 0021/HD.

Thank you mate! You clearly know your stuff. Does this make sense to you that this could cause a knock?

[MENTION=58]Raptor6767[/MENTION] is spot on! It's amazing the knock a anti roll bar drop link arm can make when there is no grease/play in the joint!

No because the grease is inside the sealed rubber part. If its split then the grease is just going to come back out.

They are a relatively inexpensive part and if theres movement they need to be replaced.