Noise from steering/front suspension

I am not sure if this is normal or not but when i am stationary and rock the steering wheel from side-to-side i get a 'clonk' type of noise. Also when driving on a bit of rough road it seems to make this noise too!!

I was wondering if this was indeed normal or maybe mine has a problem, i would be grateful if someone could rock their steering wheel from side-to-side and see what yours is like and maybe report back??

Or, if anyone has encountered this problem before and what repairs were neccessary to rectify it??

Cheers.

you can get the electric assist motor to make a bit of noise when rocking the steering
also the inner steering rack track arm ball joints wear - i have had to replace one on mine

I have already replaced my N/S side rod, in fact it was you (Foxspeed) that asked how i did it!! Told you about how i made a tool for taking the side rod off if you remember??

i fink someone else had this, and it was something simple as the top strut bolts werent tightened up to the right torque.

I have already replaced my N/S side rod, in fact it was you (Foxspeed) that asked how i did it!! Told you about how i made a tool for taking the side rod off if you remember??

no i dont remember sorry................my bad ;/

jase had trouble with his top mounts but that was more over bumps

I replaced a rack under warranty for a customer who had the exact same complaint as you...the noise was definetly coming out of the rack but was also coming from the new rack when fitted...and the same noise is in my own 197 which i bought after.....

But having said that i cant hear the noise in your car so best thing is to get it checked out!

The stearing rack - is liturally a beam of steal with a carving on one side. On the right side , it is sliding in and out on a piece of plastic. By time ( 20 000 - 30 000 km , or less ) it is wearing , and it starts to knock. To repair it ( i mean not to be replaced with a new one , wich also will wear ) , dissmantle it from the car and it self , and replace the weared plastick part with polyamide one. Make 1 idea tighter , as the metal beam is also weared where it sits when the stearing wheel is centered. It is normal the stearing wheel to be tight for 300-400 km.
By my opinion , this is the best solution as even if you replace it with a brand new one , the plastick end on wich the beam is sliding is the same , and also it have grooves on it ( maybe to wear faster ..... ) .

Hope that i had been helpfull.