Ford friends drive the Clio....

After helping to fit my side skirts, I gave both my Ford driving friends a late night drive of the Clio and they loved it.....

Then the same old debate that handling was superb and although quick, just missing something. Then the same old other debate....Meg R26 engine transplant. They said its a must and we spent the last hour till late discussing how great the Clio would be with 270 bhp.

An itch that just won't go away.

seriously looking to do this myself mate, just need to price up the parts and the conversion.

Looks like a big job.

It does seem to be the perfect package, my original plan was to go down the route of cams, throttle bodies, possibly nos and a diff but the R26 conversion it's all they and more. Can't see that it would cost anymore.

On that thinking a 250rs conversion would be even better. Is it possible?

It does seem to be the perfect package, my original plan was to go down the route of cams, throttle bodies, possibly nos and a diff but the R26 conversion it's all they and more. Can't see that it would cost anymore.

On that thinking a 250rs conversion would be even better. Is it possible?

Think the 250 engine won't fit in the Clio, I think the mounts are different, but that would e bloody awsome tho

Have you got the problems worth 6th gear sorted Jonesy? I bet it's even more immense now you have had it a while.

Have you got the problems worth 6th gear sorted Jonesy? I bet it's even more immense now you have had it a while.

I need to write an update actually, 6th gear was never down to the conversion instaill, I just bought a dodgy gearbox.
There are a things that need tidying up, but just waiting for the ££££, as the gear box is costing £500 to fix.

The car is awsome now, just pulls and pulls, tho u can't drive it like u can with the Clio, the first initial burst of Boooooooooooooooost sends the car into slight understeer, until the dif does it job, but I haven't regretted it one bit!

After helping to fit my side skirts, I gave both my Ford driving friends a late night drive of the Clio and they loved it.....

Then the same old debate that handling was superb and although quick, just missing something. Then the same old other debate....Meg R26 engine transplant. They said its a must and we spent the last hour till late discussing how great the Clio would be with 270 bhp.

An itch that just won't go away.

i dont think it's the speed that is the "missing thing" you speak of, it's the sense of speed.

For me the hardest thing from coming from my Ford is just the incredibly high pitched and high revving engine in the Clio, it just makes me feel like i'm wringing it's neck to get the performance, rather than having reserves of power on tap.... but like i say, it's purely the soundtrack that is giving me that feeling!

Its back to plan A. I'm gonna take my time to find the right parts. We recon its 2 weeks to break the back of it and have the engine installed. The plan is Aug 2012. So gives me a proper run at it.
Part of the fun is sourcing the parts. I'm gonna look to do all mods from the outset so aiming for 270bhp. Best start saving my pennies. The car stands me at nothing and given it was a CAT D, I'm not looking at resale, warranty issues or losing money. Given that most of the other stuffs done, maybe just a set of coilovers, makes it a good project car.

Jonesy any support and advice you could offer would be much appreciated

Last edited:
Its back to plan A. I'm gonna take my time to find the right parts. We recon its 2 weeks to break the back of it and have the engine installed. The plan is Aug 2012. So gives me a proper run at it.
Part of the fun is sourcing the parts. I'm gonna look to do all mods from the outset so aiming for 270bhp. Best start saving my pennies. The car stands me at nothing and given it was a CAT D, I'm not looking at resale, warranty issues or losing money. Given that most of the other stuffs done, maybe just a set of coilovers, makes it a good project car.

Jonesy any support and advice you could offer would be much appreciated

to get 270bhp, u will need an intercooler and a remap, if u got an extra 5-6k paul will fully forge it and it will be near the 400 mark lol

Meganes drive completely differently! I personally don't like them, I luv to rev the nuts off a car on track and 6000rpm just isn't enough. And them you have zero power below 3000rpm and then a massive surge of it. Irregular power delivery is a bitch on a tight exit.

But that's not to say the steam train torque in the higher gears isn't desirable.

Perfect timing this is :wink:

After the Renault trackday tomorrow, the 197 is being swapped for a fiesta ST for a month.

He wants to try out a Clio, and I love Stripes, so excitement for me tomorrow :smile:

what is it with fiesta st's and chavs?? one chavs cant afford them really. two there just a generally nice car and i would deffinetely own another one. Gutless, there underpowered standard yes but change the exhaust, air filter etc there a different car. Dont understand why they get so many bad things said about them to be honest!!

what is it with fiesta st's and chavs?? one chavs cant afford them really. two there just a generally nice car and i would deffinetely own another one. Gutless, there underpowered standard yes but change the exhaust, air filter etc there a different car. Dont understand why they get so many bad things said about them to be honest!!

think the same really - not a bad motor - not quite a "chav mobile"....