Fitzys DB 197 track/weekend toy

Thanks Lewis,

How low does it hang? I will be mainly tracking it so more worried about kerbs that anything.. I will probably keep the standard Manifold so will hopefully sound good

The light weight is a great bonus, helps offset my love of food
You can just about see it on the pictures of my car. It is quite low, but not an issue for track use I wouldn't think. I don't think it helps that I have a predator manifold on which a few people have commented on having fitment issues with too. I haven't really noticed a major issue with mine but my centre pipe is at a slightly funny angle. Only ever catches on speed bumps if they're quite high/uneven patches of road or steep angles. Mostly like driveways. Then again the car is also lowered so that doesn't do it any favours

Hahaha! Yeah the weight of it blew my mind, even comparing to the ktec system I had on previously, nevermind the factory exhaust.
1918d32169b57e881ac963d0a387417a.jpg
05a0f4c70b9c281305c74920eed86cbd.jpg

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Beany and Sean197
You can just about see it on the pictures of my car. It is quite low, but not an issue for track use I wouldn't think. I don't think it helps that I have a predator manifold on which a few people have commented on having fitment issues with too. I haven't really noticed a major issue with mine but my centre pipe is at a slightly funny angle. Only ever catches on speed bumps if they're quite high/uneven patches of road or steep angles. Mostly like driveways. Then again the car is also lowered so that doesn't do it any favours

Hahaha! Yeah the weight of it blew my mind, even comparing to the ktec system I had on previously, nevermind the factory exhaust.
1918d32169b57e881ac963d0a387417a.jpg
05a0f4c70b9c281305c74920eed86cbd.jpg

Your car looks mint! The exhaust does look a little low but more that manageable..

Yeah I heard it weighs nothing, being a single exit will make a big difference. Have you had any issues with noise on track days?

Sorry for all the questions, is the cat built into the standard manifold or is that just the pre cat? Trying to work out of I would need a sports car with the standard manifold and the cat back oreca system

Reactions: lewishunter98
Your car looks mint! The exhaust does look a little low but more that manageable..

Yeah I heard it weighs nothing, being a single exit will make a big difference. Have you had any issues with noise on track days?

Sorry for all the questions, is the cat built into the standard manifold or is that just the pre cat? Trying to work out of I would need a sports car with the standard manifold and the cat back oreca system
Cheers mate. Exactly that yeah. I've been tempted to take it to a proper exhaust place and have it modified slightly

Yeah it really does, no flatspot from this Oreca system either which is a bonus

No issues so far with noise. Done Bedford twice & haven't been flagged, that's basically the strictest track you can get on too @ 87.5db driveby

So the factory manifold has a precat built in

The factory system is a secondary cat -> Res -> back box

With the Oreca it's a dummy cat -> Res -> back box

The dummy cat + factory manifold is actually a nice volume. It's a little loud when accelerating at motorway speeds but nothing too bad. As soon as you remove that precat in the manifold though it is ridiculous, I had to use an OEM secondary cat to keep noise down as it was too much for me

Mine makes a fair few pops on shifting, downshifting especially on track when it's nice & hot sounds like a rally car popping and burbling all through the revs. I also have a V6 airbox but I don't find the noise from this is that loud, but may just be drowned out by the Oreca & the fact I used to have a ktec induction kit which I also removed due to being too noisy :') old before my time!

Cheers mate. Exactly that yeah. I've been tempted to take it to a proper exhaust place and have it modified slightly

Yeah it really does, no flatspot from this Oreca system either which is a bonus

No issues so far with noise. Done Bedford twice & haven't been flagged, that's basically the strictest track you can get on too @ 87.5db driveby

So the factory manifold has a precat built in

The factory system is a secondary cat -> Res -> back box

With the Oreca it's a dummy cat -> Res -> back box

The dummy cat + factory manifold is actually a nice volume. It's a little loud when accelerating at motorway speeds but nothing too bad. As soon as you remove that precat in the manifold though it is ridiculous, I had to use an OEM secondary cat to keep noise down as it was too much for me

Mine makes a fair few pops on shifting, downshifting especially on track when it's nice & hot sounds like a rally car popping and burbling all through the revs. I also have a V6 airbox but I don't find the noise from this is that loud, but may just be drowned out by the Oreca & the fact I used to have a ktec induction kit which I also removed due to being too noisy :') old before my time!

Oh happy days, Bedford is one of the strictest..

Thanks for the explanation on the exhaust layout, really helps, looks like I've just missed a sale on the oreca website.. just to make sure it is this system...

Screenshot_20210909-151937_Chrome.jpg

Haha I do like a few pops when pushing it on!!! I plan on the v6 airbox too, would like the R3 setup but they are very pricey!

Oh happy days, Bedford is one of the strictest..

Thanks for the explanation on the exhaust layout, really helps, looks like I've just missed a sale on the oreca website.. just to make sure it is this system...

View attachment 147391

Haha I do like a few pops when pushing it on!!! I plan on the v6 airbox too, would like the R3 setup but they are very pricey!
Yeah exactly! If I'm okay at Bedford I think I'll be okay anywhere

No worries, happy to help.

Ah that's a shame. The sales do go up every now and again. I got mine basically half price. £290 I paid which I think was like 330 euros or something? Can't quite remember. But usually they're 600+

& Yep that's the correct system :smile:

Yeah exactly! If I'm okay at Bedford I think I'll be okay anywhere

No worries, happy to help.

Ah that's a shame. The sales do go up every now and again. I got mine basically half price. £290 I paid which I think was like 330 euros or something? Can't quite remember. But usually they're 600+

& Yep that's the correct system :smile:

Thanks very much, its appreciated! wow 290 is cheap! must keep an eye on the sales..

A bucket seat is first though, cant be falling out of the seat in the corners but sounding good on the straights lol

Took a trip to GSM in Nottingham on Monday to try out some seats and see what fits, such a great facility to try all the different makes out and see what's comfortable..

I'm 6ft2,140 kgs and long in the back so choices were always going to be limited.
In the end I narrowed it down to a recaro spg xl or a Mirco RTS.
As much as I love the Recaro , I just can't justify the price.
I can buy a Mirco, half cage and a harness or 2 Mirco's, 2 harness and side mounts for the price of one recaro!!

Will be sticking an order in this weekend for the seats, just have to decide on Harness, thinking 4 point clubman style for ease of use.

I will also be sticking in an order for a cage aswell, deciding on JP cages or SW motorsports, I want the rear legs to be on the arches.

I have a question in relation to the side straps of the harness, where do people mount them? I would prefer not to have to weld in plates if possible.

Took a trip to GSM in Nottingham on Monday to try out some seats and see what fits, such a great facility to try all the different makes out and see what's comfortable..

I'm 6ft2,140 kgs and long in the back so choices were always going to be limited.
In the end I narrowed it down to a recaro spg xl or a Mirco RTS.
As much as I love the Recaro , I just can't justify the price.
I can buy a Mirco, half cage and a harness or 2 Mirco's, 2 harness and side mounts for the price of one recaro!!

Will be sticking an order in this weekend for the seats, just have to decide on Harness, thinking 4 point clubman style for ease of use.

I will also be sticking in an order for a cage aswell, deciding on JP cages or SW motorsports, I want the rear legs to be on the arches.

I have a question in relation to the side straps of the harness, where do people mount them? I would prefer not to have to weld in plates if possible.

Have you seen this post by @IainMac? You can use the seat belt bolt on the outside of the car and then you just need an eye bolt + backing plate for the tunnel.

Regarding the seats sometimes it can be worth going direct to the manufacture, I got 10% off from Corbeau by going direct and got my harness bumped to FIA spec for free.

GSM can be a bit crap to deal with when it comes to products they have to order in. I was told 4 weeks for my seats and they ended up taking 7.

I went for the SW Motorsport half cage, that goes down to the arches and I couldn't fault the service and product. As for the harness mounts, I'll find some pictures where I mounted mine

Have you seen this post by @IainMac? You can use the seat belt bolt on the outside of the car and then you just need an eye bolt + backing plate for the tunnel.

Regarding the seats sometimes it can be worth going direct to the manufacture, I got 10% off from Corbeau by going direct and got my harness bumped to FIA spec for free.
Thanks Liam, that's a useful post!

Good idea on going to the manufacturer, I might try that myself, you got a good deal!

GSM can be a bit crap to deal with when it comes to products they have to order in. I was told 4 weeks for my seats and they ended up taking 7.

I went for the SW Motorsport half cage, that goes down to the arches and I couldn't fault the service and product. As for the harness mounts, I'll find some pictures where I mounted mine
Yeah, they have the ones I want in stock ( I physically saw them). Will probably drove up and collect them as I heard the aren't the most reliable when it comes to shipping..

Thanks for the recommendation, did SW take long to deliver? If you could post pics of your harness mounts I would appreciate it, thanks

Yeah, they have the ones I want in stock ( I physically saw them). Will probably drove up and collect them as I heard the aren't the most reliable when it comes to shipping..

Thanks for the recommendation, did SW take long to deliver? If you could post pics of your harness mounts I would appreciate it, thanks

SW was about a week to get a cage delivered so I was happy with that!IMG_20210811_175834.jpg

Second picture which isn't loading shows the outside mount which goes through the floor into a spreader plate. I've seen people mount the eyelets into the existing seatbelt mount and also clipped on to the seat mount itself. I prefer the spreader plate through the floor myself but each to their own. Terrible photos but I took them a while back for someone else so he got a rough idea of what I was trying to describe!

Attachments

• IMG_20210811_175911.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 19
SW was about a week to get a cage delivered so I was happy with that!View attachment 147629

Second picture which isn't loading shows the outside mount which goes through the floor into a spreader plate. I've seen people mount the eyelets into the existing seatbelt mount and also clipped on to the seat mount itself. I prefer the spreader plate through the floor myself but each to their own. Terrible photos but I took them a while back for someone else so he got a rough idea of what I was trying to describe!

Thanks lad, appreciate it, makes perfect sense

So Jp cages must have been listening, woke up this morning and they had announced a 15% off sale, unstripped cage and trs clubman harness ordered! Need to sort the seats and mounts now, exciting times!

Last edited:
So today was a good day, roll cage arrived from JP cages, if the weather plays ball I will install it tomorrow.

I ended up ordering Motamec Gt02's, TRS clubman harness and wheeler side mounts. Which all arrived at weekend but I've been waiting for the cage to install everything.

20211001_144423.jpg

Took the car for a spirited drive yesterday, I love how these handle but now it sounds like my flexis are blowing.

Can anyone confirm they are 50x100mm on the 197 manifold, I need to get them sorted this week as I have a track day next in Donington next Monday.

I considered fitting a toyo but I don't want the dreaded flat spot

Reactions: Beany and suj
Toyo + tune = more fun clio. Mine felt much more responsive and had better midrange acceleration after both mods.

@cfitzy6 looks like it is all coming together!
Have you gone for a full or half cage? As if its a full cage, good luck fitting it on your own, without having to remove any trim

@cfitzy6 looks like it is all coming together!
Have you gone for a full or half cage? As if its a full cage, good luck fitting it on your own, without having to remove any trim
Yeah its getting there, steady progress!

No only a half cage, won't go full cage until its off the road and no longer my daily. This working from home is great though, no longer need a comfortable commuter

Reactions: leeboy
So today this happened

20211007_170209.jpg

JP cages bolt in.. nice bit of kit, not the easiest to maneuver on your own though!

I sprayed the floor black to match yesterday, might get a full size carpet for it, not sure yet though.

Also installed my seats, very happy with their comfort, look good too imo. They are motamec Gt02, can recommend them for the larger gentlemen, installed using wheeler side mounts.
Seat is no longer off centre which is fantastic, it was annoying the hell out of me previously!

Trs clubman harness fitted using the schroth b23 fixing on the outside in the original seat belt holes and used harness eye with the sandwich plate on the tunnel.

20211007_165805.jpg20211007_165814.jpg

Took the RRS steering wheel out of my nova rally car last week and fitted it with a volantec Button plate, love how it feels. I found the centre cap on ebay and think it finished the wheel off nicely.

20211007_165849.jpg

Does anyone know why this message is on the dash, is it related to removing the seat belts? The airbag light is on but I expected that..
20211007_160309.jpg

Getting my flexis replaced tomorrow and I'm all set for Donington Monday, I cant wait!

Last edited: