Feedback from the guy who has my 197

Mike

Gestapo
Platinum Member
Well, the guy whom I swapped the 197 for an ST with came round earlier in the 197, and I finally got some proper feedback from him about the Clio.

Quite simply, he adores the 197. The handling, speed, comfort & looks of it. He says it is a total pleasure to drive, and a total looker

Another serious plus point is the keyless - that too is one of my favourite things about it!

However, he also said he would never buy one.

The main reasons are common faults with the 197 - the bunny-hopping issue (I have had the latest ECU upgrade done - doesn't solve it), the problem with it not wanting to go into 1st gear easily when cold, and lack of technology in the car. The last thing I now agree with having had his ST with climate control, MP3 plug thingy, multi changer etc as standard add ons. I know that you can do that with Clio's, my one has none of it. The CD player doesn't even play MP3 CD's.

Another downer on the 197's part is the fuel consumption - so far it has been 23p per mile for the 197 vs 17p per mile for the ST.

All that aside, the 197 will be staying, as the positives far out-weigh the negatives. And indeed, Matt has said what an amazing car it is. Matt bought the ST brand new, and having lost nearly £10k on it in 4 years, that may be another reason he wouldn't want to get rid of Stripes lol!

Me and the ST? Love it. Really do, however bad it's image lol!

But before you begin the abuse, remember, we each have our own opinions and tastes when it comes to cars :wink::wink:

:swiss:

It's good to do what you have done as you appreciate what you have more even with it's little quirks fair play to you both for trialing it

Well, the ST will be with me for a while yet, but seeing the 197 today, and going out follwing the 197 spoke volumes to me about the car. Love the looks :smile:

How much was the st brand new??
Say in comparison to a 197 with all the extras that the st has?

Hmm wonder how much 197 would of been with all the gizmos!
Mine has climate but I don't ever use it lol!!

I will let Matt have mine for a week, I am sure it will convince him of those missing points... :-p

Hmm wonder how much 197 would of been with all the gizmos!
Mine has climate but I don't ever use it lol!!

Mine just has the twiddly knob things, and it does have Air Con too thank buggery!

I do find the air con is crap in clio's though some cars I've been in with air con you turn to Blumin ice!

Isnt it a bit ofan unfair comparison as the st was brought out as a rival against the 182 at the time, a similar specced 182 at the time cost wise for the same equipment levels on the st wouldnt have been that great

Mines got zircon only been on once to what I know and it was freezing and we turned it off

Isnt it a bit ofan unfair comparison as the st was brought out as a rival against the 182 at the time, a similar specced 182 at the time cost wise for the same equipment levels on the st wouldnt have been that great

Yeah you are right, I think many people say that the ST and the 182/197/200 were aimed at different markets. :eek:

Aircon has been a god send stuck in traffic this past week! I tend to put it on the screen and feet setting, which then gives the option if it is really hot put it on the middle setting and freeze!! It is very good, just takes a little longer than others to get going...

I see what you say about not been a comparison, however they were both marketed as hot hatches and both on sale at the same time, which makes them competition IMO.

True but, the problem tends to be that oneis an answer to what the other has done. If they were released on the same day without each other knowing what the other was planning then it would be game on.....

Sounds like a pretty fair assessment tbh.

Whatever car people own they put up with the bad and make use of the good, providing there aren't too many bad points you can enjoy owning any car... even a ford :wink:

Sounds like a pretty fair assessment tbh.

Whatever car people own they put up with the bad and make use of the good, providing there aren't too many bad points you can enjoy owning any car... even a ford :wink:

Agree, even if it is a Ford I have :wink: