Fast road, but comfortable set up.

lou tennant

Paid Member
few more things to sort out, but soon I will be tackling the suspension . Any proven/recommended set ups for fast road, currently running standard cup set up which seems a bit harsh when pressing on !
Open to all suggestions.

I had an R27 I got off my mate (with new cup dampers and springs when I got it) and it was sooo harsh! Hated it.

So when that was written off (rear ended on the motorway) I got a standard 197 and I 100% wanted non-cup suspension, then I got new non-cup dampers and eibach springs, it's a great drop and progressive springs (a non-linear spring rate through compression displacement) and I really like it.

I bought some (hardly) used B14s as I was going to track the car, but I bought another E36 to track, so I have them in the attic I need to pull my finger out and sell (compbrake adjustable top mounts on them too).

My 197 was non cup and it was just perfect on the Welsh very bumpy B roads and lanes.
I refreshed everything and upgraded to B16 Bilstein that are very competent and fairly compliant on all but the very bumpy staff. On smoother Broads are excellent and you can always firm them up.
I have ordered AST 5100 valved to what I want so let's see how they compare..
However for me the standard non-cup set up is brilliant for the cost.

Seeing how expensive OEM springs are, they're not far off aftermarket ones too (well when I got my Eibachs they were cheaper than OEM), so worth looking into.

£460 ish for non-cup OEM springs and shocks.
£199 ish for Eibachs. And 20/25mm drop. Now im undecided again. Would the standard non cup shocks and Eibach springs be a reasonable ride ?

Some years ago EVO magazine ran a 200 FF Cup as a long termer.
In the process they did a back-to-back with a non-Cup FF.

IIRC, they said that the standard car was more comfortable on U.K. roads, but the Cup car had slightly better handling when pushed harder.
However, they concluded that non-Cup might suit more people more of the time.

At that time, I had a 2010 FF Cup, which I used in France, where the roads are so much better - very noticeable if I ever brought it back to the U.K, where the ride often felt busy and fidgety.

In 2014 I bought a 200T, which I did not like - so I went in search of one of the last, low mileage 200 FFs.
Found a nice 2013 one with the Cup suspension.
Discussed this with RenaultSport and they said it would be possible to change the springs and dampers to standard sport, yet retain the anti-roll bars and quicker steering rack, for the best compromise.

This was done, by RenaultSport using new RenaultSport parts. I also had Goodyear Eagle F1s fitted as I also find these quieter and more compliant on my other cars.

Worked really well and, after 7 years of use in France and U.K., I’ve always been very impressed with the ride/handling balance.

Thing with springs is that you lose all that important damper travel which can only have a negative impact. I don't have any experience on Eibach springs per se but my HR springs were removed after 1 month.

I'm currently running the OEM non cup setup which is lovely for the price, especially when you buy 2nd hand! Yes it sits high but it's compliant with a very good body control. What it truly needs though is some camber - for the UK roads and price, the non CUP on solid adjustable top mounts is by far the best bang for buck.

Eiback Pro Springs and Koni Sport (yellow) dampers set to Front 1.0 and Rear 1.5 on a non-cup car. Lower focused handling but still very compliant on UK B roads.

I would keep the OEM set up (or go non-cup OEM) I have cup dampers and Grams, on B bumpy roads they are too stiff. I had non cup before that. On smoother roads, Grams are great. Overall, just keep OEM or non cup dampers with Eibachs (I “heard” they are good, but don’t have personal xp) and lower!! I think OEM is far too high stance IMO.

Last edited:
My 197 was non cup and it was just perfect on the Welsh very bumpy B roads and lanes.
I refreshed everything and upgraded to B16 Bilstein that are very competent and fairly compliant on all but the very bumpy staff. On smoother Broads are excellent and you can always firm them up.
I have ordered AST 5100 valved to what I want so let's see how they compare..
However for me the standard non-cup set up is brilliant for the cost.
Got the ASTs yet George?