Fallen completly out of love...

Morning all!

As you have undoubtedly read in the title I have fallen completly out of love with the Clio, I am having to take it to Renault this morning as it is running lumpy as hell which I think is a reaccurance of the knock-sensor problem I had 'fixed' by the stealers a year ago.

This is the final straw, especially as I am looking at getting rid of the car once it's paid off in a couple of months and it had to have 2 new tyres just last week.

Admittedly the car is awesome on the odd occasion I get to use it to it's potential but the jarring ride (which i knew about when I bought it) and the creaking interior is now beginning to grate.

I wouldn't change my decision to buy the clio as I think it was a worthwhile stepping stone in my car history. I'd like to thank everyone on here who has helped me over the last 14 months this is the best forum I have come across!

James

The end

James

Sorry to see you leave the fold James. 2 years does seem to be the average length of ownership of these cars.

Out of interest what you thinking of getting next?

I'm hopefully heading down the well worn focus st route...more comfort and pace really...nothing more, nothing less lol

Shame mate - but your choice. Not sure a focus ST isn't going to have fewer problems though IMO.

focus ST are only really fast on a straight road mate my mate had a cracking black one but had alot of problems with it. I aslo nearly bought one instead of the clio infact if the salesman hadnt been a tit and try to give me an st3 facelift that wasnt already sold id have had it

Sorry to hear this but you do know at the end of the day. . . .

. . . .it's still a ford.

Morning all!

Admittedly the car is awesome on the odd occasion I get to use it to it's potential but the jarring ride (which i knew about when I bought it) and the creaking interior is now beginning to grate.

I wouldn't change my decision to buy the clio as I think it was a worthwhile stepping stone in my car history. I'd like to thank everyone on here who has helped me over the last 14 months this is the best forum I have come across!

I have the same trail of thought James. Awesome when it does get used properly but 75% of the time im rattled about big time on the country Fen roads stuck behind a tractor.

Oh and the fuel usage...a 1series diesel is forever becoming tempting

I just cant stomach the loss of cash!

I wonder if part of the problem is that people have to have their 'fun' car as a daily (either through cost or choice or whatever). In that scenario something is always going to be a compromise - either the fun factor, comfort, economy etc. No single car does everything well.

If you can afford it then it does make sense to seperate out the uses, which took me a long time to figure out! Cheap, solid, functional car for day-to-day and long treks. Fun car for when the mood takes ya. Does depend on funds though.

I wonder if part of the problem is that people have to have their 'fun' car as a daily (either through cost or choice or whatever). In that scenario something is always going to be a compromise - either the fun factor, comfort, economy etc. No single car does everything well.

If you can afford it then it does make sense to seperate out the uses, which took me a long time to figure out! Cheap, solid, functional car for day-to-day and long treks. Fun car for when the mood takes ya. Does depend on funds though.

Couldn't agree more - love the Clio to bits but there is no way I could use it as my daily driver.

Fuel bills would be ridiculous, ride isn't the most comfortable, would be worried about getting it damaged in car parks, don't want my 1 year old son eating and drinking in it etc etc.

I have a no frills but solid and reliable Fiesta to do the daily chores and the Clio is just a pampered weekend toy.

Every time I drive it (which isn't very often to be fair) it puts a smile on my face. These cars just have so much presence.

Can't see me changing it for anything else for a long time. Mines a keeper.

Mine is my only car and its got to the point where i don't want to drive it! Its in for a diagnostic today which will hopefully uncover the problem

wonder how many people get rid due to financial reasons or fun factor???

Its in the nature of these cars. When your on a track or a sunny b road blasting it and everything works it's bliss. All other times it's bloody crap!

What do you mean by crap ben? I used to love driving mine as a daily! Interesting to see peoples opinion on this, as some love it and others not so much.

I'm amazed that so many people moan about this or that not working on these cars. I know French motors have historically had a bad rep for build quality but I'm impressed with how the 197 (or at least mine) is screwed together. I've had VW's in the past that have been nothing but trouble.

My love hate relationship with my 197 lies soley with its lumpy unwillingness to work in the morning. The fact that I barely make it out of my steep driveway on a morning without having to reclutch in and put loads of revs on is infuriating.

For what it is I don't feel the clio is an expensive car to own, and definitely makes me smile when I find a quiet road every now and then

I think they are great little motors 5 yrs old and still flying threw mots and only 2 sets of tyres 1 lot of breaks few bits and bobs had done.I know I don't drive it now but for three years I did and loved it