Exhaust blowing

Well that's the second time in two weeks the exhaust has developed a blow, centre silencer where the pipe enters and edits has fractured at both ends, hairline crack all around the weld, anyone else had this problem?

Mine has a blow in the same place. It was flagged up at the MOT. The tester explained that it was caused by the hot gases getting stuck there when I do my short journey to work and back, i.e. not allowing enough time for it all to pass through - not heard of this before, but no reason to not believe him.

When I bought the car, the previous owner did also say that it had had a weld in the same place previously - there's always the possibility that it's this old weld that has now corroded too.

hot gasses dont get "stuck"...mostly likely its uneven heating of the exhaust on short trips as such and like most modern cars the 197/200 will run retarded timing to help get the cat up to temperature quickly hence it may "hot-spot" in places before fully hot

hot gasses dont get "stuck"...mostly likely its uneven heating of the exhaust on short trips as such and like most modern cars the 197/200 will run retarded timing to help get the cat up to temperature quickly hence it may "hot-spot" in places before fully hot
Hot gases get stuck? WTF lol

Yeah that makes more sense. The guy had the gist of it I suppose, but perhaps didn't explain it to me properly. I should have realised that he wasn't mega clued up when he mentioned the Clio having a turbo.... :think:

Reactions: Micah
I am booked in for this Friday, going have the silencer removed and replaced with a new one, going to try three or four different types so can hear the right noise, fancy slightly more "growl"

Reactions: sevenfourate