Rookie question about exhaust blowing

jordan94

Paid Member
Sorry for stupid question before hand i dont have much mechanical experience but im very curious.

Was looking under the bonnet today and i notice that the flexi joint appears to be ripped and slightly coming off. Does this mean the exhaust is slightly blowing?
16Fx7Vi.jpg
wgAb9RE.jpg
7Z49kyf.jpg

Few questions i have regarding it.
1.Does this affect the performance of car in the current state of it?
2.Does it need fixing?
3. to fix it what needs to be done? whole new manifold? or can it just be repaired?
4. if anything needs to be done to it how long would it take for a garage to do it for me?

My flexies are broken at the moment and it makes it sound rough. You will need to get manifold off and weld in new ones or get a sports manifold as Renault is expensive if you can hold of one

Think its about 5 hours labour for a garage to do it

As above, aftermarket manifold is likely to be your cheapest option - Toyosports is very well priced and widely available on ebay. KTec do one too, but this is a lot more money - arguably better quality though.

Replacement flexis can be put on as an alternative. With either option you will still be paying the high labour costs for removal and re-fitting of the manifold. It's one of the more expensive fixes on the Clio I'm afraid.

Can you hear it blowing?
Ill be honest im not sure what it would even sound like but when below 3k revs if i try to accelerate it doesnt sound right, not sure if that would mean its blowing or not? Anything above 4k revs i cant hear anything as the engine is too loud

Ill be honest im not sure what it would even sound like but when below 3k revs if i try to accelerate it doesnt sound right, not sure if that would mean its blowing or not? Anything above 4k revs i cant hear anything as the engine is too loud
Sounds a bit like a piffy fart / rattle ? If you can get another pair of hands cover the exhaust pipes and give it a little rev.

Sounds a wee bit tappy top end (Could well be the effect of recording on a phone). But yes - sounds like the start of the dreaded manifold blowing too.......

Doesn't sound too much like its blowing to me, but as Syer said, it does sound a bit tappy... Good word to describe it that actually..

Can this problem only be apparent (blowing noise) at 2-2.75k revs? Mine seems to make strange noises when the exhaust kind of 'opens' up? Makes no blowing noise if I press pedal to the floor, just wondering if it's the same problem as above.

Doesn't sound too much like its blowing to me, but as Syer said, it does sound a bit tappy... Good word to describe it that actually..

If its top-end related noise - and hence may involve tappets: it's tappy as far as I'm concerned !!

Best bet is to get your hand down there and feel for any blowing , either from underneath when jacked up , or from engine bay.

Best bet is to get your hand down there and feel for any blowing , either from underneath when jacked up , or from engine bay.

Or if you can't get to it - use soapy spray, some chalk dust or even a flexible hose of some sort to listen to it.

Its also possible of course the leak might be worse or better hot compared to cold; as the metal expands or contracts respectively....

Similar Thread Suggestions