ESP cuts in hard

If I push the car pretty hard, especially on a slight downhill, with the ESP on it cuts in and brakes the car with a sudden jolt. It comes out of the blue and scares the daylights out of me. Pretty scary pushing hard at over 70mph. It's this normal?

I posted in the suspension thread about my concerns with the same issue. The system is very crude and actually unbalances the car . It happened to me on a couple of corners at speeds well below a level that I would have expected interference.
I also drive a GT3, and in comparison with the esp system on that, the Renault one is extremely intrusive and poorly executed.

I've only had a problem with the ESP once which was on the karrusel at the 'ring, everywhere else I've left it on and it's never bothered me. Maybe it's not as violent when you're on stiffer suspension or something??

I've had a sneaking feeling there is an issue with the sensors ever since I've had the car. On my Mini or TT you could feel the brake being applied at one corner of the car but on the Clio it cuts in hard almost on all four corners. It's pretty scary to be honest, imagine cornering pretty hard and giving the brakes a hard, sharp jab... you'd never dare do it but that's how it feels

Francois I'd have to disagree with you I found the ESP on my 197 to be extremely effective in controlling my cock ups and always let me have fun before it interrupted. On trackdays it was invaluable in the wet and really caugh some serious tail action in my time. But as said there's always a complete deactivate button for the purist driver, something many mainstream cars don't offer anymore.

I for one alas lost my ESP/TCS with the standalone ECU so it's all down to me now :worried:

It bit hard on me a few weeks back on a very spirited country drive. I swear it could've lifted my rear wheels off the ground lol. Almost made it oversteer FFs :worried:

Hardly safe, it went straight off after that lol

I leave it on, on the road. On track I've had it cause some issues, especially when you involve high speeds and apexes that cause one of the wheels to slip.

If I'm really going for it and it's dry I'll switch it off. The roads round here can get bumpy which make the TC cut in if you're hard accelerating.

Francois I'd have to disagree with you I found the ESP on my 197 to be extremely effective in controlling my cock ups and always let me have fun before it interrupted. On trackdays it was invaluable in the wet and really caugh some serious tail action in my time. But as said there's always a complete deactivate button for the purist driver, something many mainstream cars don't offer anymore.

got to agree here - not been on track with it but at times dont hang about on the road or an empty roundabout and never found it an issue...

perhaps it doesnt like to be ragged about!

I can't say I've ever found it to be either intrusive or aggressive, on road or on track. I suppose you could say it depends how smooth you are with your control inputs, if you're making sudden sharp adjustments then perhaps she thinks your getting close to the edge and cuts in to save you...

Is the reason that it cuts in quite hard because it allows you a bit of sideways and then only cuts in when it thinks saving it is beyond the driver's capability?

Is the reason that it cuts in quite hard because it allows you a bit of sideways and then only cuts in when it thinks saving it is beyond the driver's capability?

Mine cuts in hard before any tyre squeal or slip, that's why I think there's something wrong with the sensor

I wonder if this is an issue with the 200 rather than 197? I had a 197 before the 200 and never had it happen with that car.

Are all your tyres the same size? not something silly like bigger fronts or rears ? If they are different sizes the wheels will have a different rolling radius causing the car to think the cars slipping?

That said when I owned my 197 I could only get the TC/ESP to cut in when being silly or it snowed...

mine does the exact same its really violent but it only happens when its irratic driving, ie full on the throttle round a bend etc, she wont do it if you feed her the power smoothly (but thats how your meant to do it anyway) :tongue_smilie: