Engine movement

Hi all ,

I have a bit of engine movement when coming off throttle ,which causes a little jerk(not a big issue but a niggle that will get bigger )

My immediate thought was the dog bone mount (had the issue on previous 1*2's) , it seems I have a little movement in the upper engine mount (next to cambelt housing). Is this normal ?

How much engine movement is normal on the 197?

Also where a the engine mounts located ?

Cheers

The dogbone mount is common to perish and split on these (as with many cars!), I bought a replacement off eBay today for about £20. The Powerflex are a good upgrade but you should start from good mounts in the first place

The dogbone mount is common to perish and split on these (as with many cars!), I bought a replacement off eBay today for about £20. The Powerflex are a good upgrade but you should start from good mounts in the first place

I will check the condition of mine. What symptoms did you have when yours had gone ?

Any idea of the location of all the engine mounts so I can visually check them all.

The upper engine mount should have no play in it. Thats probably whats causing your judder...big post about it on here somewhere

The dogbone mount is under the engine, towards the drivers side, from the engine onto the subframe. It tends to split on the smaller end, I think you will need to take it off to inspect it fully though.

I put a Toyosport manifold on which is knocking against the subframe, I inspected the dogbone mount while changing the manifold and noticed it wasn't in a brilliant condition.

Cheers , I had a powerflex insert on my old 182 and wasn't keen on the extra vibrations. If it needs replacing then I will probably go for original.

This is what broke my manifold. I'd recommend getting the upper stabiliser (8200298484, £42) and the lower torque link (8200042454, £54) replaced asap. I'd also make sure you haven't got any evidence of soot on the join between the manifold tubes and the flange - if you do it's broken. This is what mine looked like:

WP_20140629_17_58_27_Pro (1).jpg

Thanks, they are Renault part numbers above i assume? I had some prices from Renault yesterday which were much higher than that - will have a search online.
[MENTION=4711]lostmotel[/MENTION] - what symptoms did you have whilst driving ?

[MENTION=52200]montana[/MENTION] yeah, those are the parts I got from Renault Wolverhampton on here, those were those prices at the time.

The engine was gradually moving back and forth more and more under full bore gearchanges, and it turns out that I only checked the manifold flange after it was too late. In retrospect it was sounding a bit more "blowy" but the only sure telltale sign is for the soot as in my photo.

Hopefully it's fine for you though! If not, budget £1k to £1.3k to sort it.

If your manifold has gone, just replace it with the Toyosport one, it costs £200 (or cheaper if they put them on an auction on eBay, I got mine for £130 posted) then fitting is around 4 hours for a garage to do it. I did mine at a mates work shop on a 4 poster ramp

Considering going down the PowerFlex route for the torque arm and lower engine mount (dog bone). Be useful to hear from anyone who has the same setup as to how much vibration it introduces ?

Im paranoid about mounts so i routinely change all the engine mounts on any car i own. On my 200 i replaced all. When i bought it i knew it needed mounts, experience from my previous 197.
My mount setup is all 4 oem mounts with powerflex insert in the dogbone. Vibration is hardly noticeable with fresh mounts. The oil filled mount is also common failure. Most just dont bother to check it

i have just fitted upper torque mount and upper engine mount insert and the car changed into what i would call a sherman tank. there is too much vibration for my liking and now there is rattles at different engine speeds. the rear view mirror blurs at certain speeds when driving , vibrations on wing mirror and blurring, you can feel vibe in the seat,. If you just want a nice car to drive get OEM replacement mounts.

I have just ordered OEM torque mount £57 from renalut as i believe its this thats causing the majority of vibrations and will fit and let you know the difference.

I know OEM will prob only last couple years as there made of chocolate BUT i'd rather change this every 3 years and have a nicer car to drive than have all the vibrations.

Hope this helps.

i have just fitted upper torque mount and upper engine mount insert and the car changed into what i would call a sherman tank. there is too much vibration for my liking and now there is rattles at different engine speeds. the rear view mirror blurs at certain speeds when driving , vibrations on wing mirror and blurring, you can feel vibe in the seat,. If you just want a nice car to drive get OEM replacement mounts.

I have just ordered OEM torque mount £57 from renalut as i believe its this thats causing the majority of vibrations and will fit and let you know the difference.

I know OEM will prob only last couple years as there made of chocolate BUT i'd rather change this every 3 years and have a nicer car to drive than have all the vibrations.

Hope this helps.
Damn, just ordered a powerflex torque arm ! Thanks for the feedback