Engine Coolant

Hello

Have been hearing a funny sound when starting the engine recently..

a gushing and gargling sound. Like tipping a bottle of water upside down.

After looking under the bonnet, I saw that the Coolant is completely empty.

It has recently been serviced (Nov 09) should this have been checked on the service?

Is this a normal thing? has anyone else experienced this?

Am I able to refill this myself without affecting the warranty? If so.. do I need to use anything special. (the Renault guide says to use Renault recommended stuff) anyone know what I should use?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Darren

Completely empty?

That’s not good at all; I would get it either booked in or put some in ASAP especially with the cold snap coming back.

Was it your first service?

When mine was serviced they never checked it and it was a bit low, to retain your warranty I think you have to use Renault approved coolant.

Yea as far as I can see its completely empy! Since I have noticed I havnt been driving it but who knows how long its been going on for.

The thing is I dont want to drive it to the dealers with no coolant at all. I guess I need to call them and ask them what they suggest.

I was hoping I could just buy some and fill it myself

Thanks mate, you are a scholar!

I think il give the stealers a call and see if I can get my dad to pick some up!

Any idea how much it costs?

Allot, think it’s about £25+ for 5L

But got mine for free, shame you not closer to me as I would let you use mine.

Its also premixed so no need to add water.

EDIT: Found this on RS forum.

1L 7711428133 £5.33+VAT
2L 7711428129 £9.66+VAT
5L 7711428130 £11.81+VAT

Last edited:
5 litres from renault is £21.17+vat part number is 7711428130 or you can get a 2litre bottle for 9.18+vat

I used halfords advanced pre mixed ( the red stuff ) and a year on it's been fine. Coolant is coolant. Much cheaper!

I used halfords advanced pre mixed ( the red stuff ) and a year on it's been fine. Coolant is coolant. Much cheaper!
I've just put this in the Ka as it needed a coolant change, and in the 182 when I changed the thermostat. I think as long as you buy a reasonable quality coolant it will be fine :smile:

no its not.......

there are glycol and ethylene based coolants and also organic acid technology (oat) coolant.....be careful what you put in some dont mix !!!!!!

According to the statements on the bottle is conforms to Renault standards and has the same antifreeze code as the standard stuff.

Says on bottle 'conforms with renault manufacture standard'. Then has a lettered code after it.

Only problem with the red stuff is it stains your header tank :worried: