ECU reverting to standard map!?

Ive read alot about the standard ECU after a re-map reverting back to the standard map!?

I dont know how or why but its just what ive red!

happened to any1?

It's not actually reverting to the old map, it's just the fuelling is being trimmed out of the new map.

The fuel trims work by pretty much reading what the lambda is saying (i.e. running rich or lean by measuring the amount of Oxygen in the exhaust gasses) and then tweaking the fuel offset a bit to compensate in the attempt to get 'perfect mixture' of 14:7/1 air to fuel ratio (stoichiometric rate).

If your car is remapped to run a bit richer through the mid-range and high end of the rev range then the ECU will see that as running too rich and will take out 'x'% of the injector timing until the lambdas are happy.

So your new fancy remap that adds in fuel to provide better torque in the midrange will effectively be dialed out by the ECU over time.

You can do a few things to stop this from happening:
- Disconnect your lambda sensor. This will throw up a light on your dash and your car will proably fail MOTs unless plugged back in.

- Fit a lambda emulator (sold for the LPG market) which pretend they are lambdas but fake the rich/lean signals i.e. they always sent a 'perfect' signal. You need to make sure your map is bang on if using one of these as your car will not know if it's running dangerously lean.

- Get a device that resets your fuel trims to +/- 0%. This will only last a few days until the ECU has fully corrected the fuelling again.

Some tuners may be able to tweak the ECU code to ignore the trims though... worth asking them before you get a remap!

Rich

Last edited:
It's not actually reverting to the old map, it's just the fuelling is being trimmed out of the new map.

The fuel trims work by pretty much reading what the lambda is saying (i.e. running rich or lean by measuring the amount of Oxygen in the exhaust gasses) and then tweaking the fuel offset a bit to compensate in the attempt to get 'perfect mixture' of 14:7/1 air to fuel ratio (stoichiometric rate).

If your car is remapped to run a bit richer through the mid-range and high end of the rev range then the ECU will see that as running too rich and will take out 'x'% of the injector timing until the lambdas are happy.

So your new fancy remap that adds in fuel to provide better torque in the midrange will effectively be dialed out by the ECU over time.

You can do a few things to stop this from happening:
- Disconnect your lambda sensor. This will throw up a light on your dash and your car will proably fail MOTs unless plugged back in.

- Fit a lambda emulator (sold for the LPG market) which pretend they are lambdas but fake the rich/lean signals i.e. they always sent a 'perfect' signal. You need to make sure your map is bang on if using one of these as your car will not know if it's running dangerously lean.

- Get a device that resets your fuel trims to +/- 0%. This will only last a few days until the ECU has fully corrected the fuelling again.

Some tuners may be able to tweak the ECU code to ignore the trims though... worth asking them before you get a remap!

Rich

this will only happen if you have a crap map on your car from an incompetent mapper.

eg generics bought from so called chip tuning companies.

if your car is mapped properly this will NEVER happen.

yeah....i know you cant loose it but just something ive read before with the dam standard ECU been too complicated lol

all the car that have had this problem have had aftermarket cams and ended up havin standalone ecu fitted or are in the process of doin. Raptor and simo are 2 ive heard of wit this problem both cammed.

yeah.....im doing ECU first before supercharger or ITBS or cams. (obviously i know i need em for charger or ITBS)

i know someone with a remap and the car still drives like when it first had it done :thumbsup:

and dont forget.....the ecu doesnt run the engine closed loop lambda control all the time !

i know someone with a remap and the car still drives like when it first had it done :thumbsup:

and dont forget.....the ecu doesnt run the engine closed loop lambda control all the time !

So is a Re-map worth doing or ultimately are you just wasting money were it could be better spend elsewhere, e.g. lighter wheels?

personnally i would say on a 197 then a re-map can fill in some of the torque loss in the mid-range

the 200 i think is a lot better mapped from standard and doesnt seem to respond as well

it also depends on how much you get the remap for :thumbsup:

there will always be pros and cons for it and what else you could get or do for the money.....at least with a re-map if you lift the bonnet nothings changed and the dealers cant find it unless they have a dig for it !

my map hasnt changed. Stil feels rapid. Dont 4get if u use renault for servicing and repairs, theres a gud chance they wil plug into the ecu wit any updates which wil wipe your map off. I think jase suspected this with his after his been into renault.

I payed £450 for a custom rolling road remap and after all this business reared its ugly head i returned to the tuner and complained it was a waste of time. They put it back on the dyno there and then and made +4bhp more than the rempa printout, due to the ecu learning its way around the new cams.

So in my personal experience it can be sorted, with the correct mapper.

As long as you go to a good tuning company there shouldn't be any issues with the map being lost, mine is still awesome and hasn't been "forgotten". I'd recommend Tdf to anyone.

With regard to taking the Clio to Renault for servicing, mine went in after mapping and I told the dealer to forget plugging anything into it as this IS one of the tick boxes included in the service. To make double sure there was loads of tape covering the plug in point down by the centre console and a huge note in the middle of the steering wheel explaining why I didn't want it done.

May sound excessive, but it came back all good :wink:

So non of you have listened then?

An ecu cannot lose it's map unless it is mapped again.

It's impossible, I know this because of a past problem with the standard ecu running throttle bodies. Alot of companies were involved on that one.

P.s re mapping a standard naturally aspirated car is nigh on pointless. Its quite common knowledge.

I've mailed a very well respected tuner here in Belgium about this issue.
He says that it is indeed impossible for the ecu to "forget" the mapping.
But the clio has wath he calls an auto adaptive ecu so if you drive it slow it will "losen" the mapping and the car will be less responsive but as soon as you floor it it will sharpen up again quite fast.
As soon as the weather is better i will give mine a full service, performance panel filter and mapping :001_tt1:

Excuse me for my english