Drove a Corsa VXR

Went and drove a Corsa VXR 08 Plate yesterday to see what they were like. Heard mixed reviews on them. I can honestly say I'm glad I bought my 197. Was not impressed at all with the Corsa. Took it up a M road and was expecting it to have a nice amount of torque being that it is turbo but it didn't feel very fast at all. Even in 3rd with over boost it just didn't seem to pull very way. Then onto the B roads. The car feels like a boat. It's too high, the steering doesn't feel connected to the car and it just was no where near the level of the 197.
The 197 feels like a performance car the Corsa just feels standard.

This is the difference between Renaultsport and most other hot hatches. They are in a different league, til the new ST came out.

Never drove one but every review I read before buying was in 197s favour.

This is the difference between Renaultsport and most other hot hatches. They are in a different league, til the new ST came out.

Never drove one but every review I read before buying was in 197s favour.

Yeah my planned replacement for the 197 will be the new Fiesta ST. I've heard very good reviews

The Clio's handling in standard form is VERY hard to compete with.. They're truly outstanding, and the Cup packed cars are even more thrilling. The steering feel leaves you feeling properly connected with the car and know where you can point the car.

However, on the flip side of this, the corsa engine is brilliant IMO. So tunable and just makes easy driving with the lower power band. The Clio is actually quite hard work to drive if your trying to make progress without dropping a few gears.

The corsa is a little under powered as standard, but with £150 spent, you'll free up around 10-15hp and get a brilliant ripping noise through the standard exhaust. They're also a little bit softer than the Clio as they're not 'as track focused' as the Clio, but again £600 base line on some suspension and it tightens the Corsa right up.

Now that the Nurburgring Corsa's are out too, and already a few have been crashed, the LSD gearboxes and Brembo 4 pot brakes are popping up for sale. Which is a perfect tuning upgrade for the older editions.

Mountune do brilliant packages for them too. While still keeping the warranty

as good as the reviews are, i just dont like the look of the Fiesta at all

Kinda of with you there. They waited too long to release the ST. It already looks like an older car rather than being fresh and exiting, it was a 5 year old car when they released the ST and I just don't get why. It's hardly like ST owners spent 5 years in a 'normal' feista waiting for it to come out. They were out there buying and running Clios and Corsas and building up relationships with those brands instead.

The Clio's handling in standard form is VERY hard to compete with.. They're truly outstanding, and the Cup packed cars are even more thrilling. The steering feel leaves you feeling properly connected with the car and know where you can point the car.

However, on the flip side of this, the corsa engine is brilliant IMO. So tunable and just makes easy driving with the lower power band. The Clio is actually quite hard work to drive if your trying to make progress without dropping a few gears.

The corsa is a little under powered as standard, but with £150 spent, you'll free up around 10-15hp and get a brilliant ripping noise through the standard exhaust. They're also a little bit softer than the Clio as they're not 'as track focused' as the Clio, but again £600 base line on some suspension and it tightens the Corsa right up.

Now that the Nurburgring Corsa's are out too, and already a few have been crashed, the LSD gearboxes and Brembo 4 pot brakes are popping up for sale. Which is a perfect tuning upgrade for the older editions.

Good points with the way you have to drive the clio, you really have to want to push the car. Sometimes in the mornings when I'm still half asleep and get behind someone slow, its a pain having to throttle it to go round them.

My parents have a cooper s, and I go on the insurance when the cars in the garage, its so easy to drive, just put your foot down and it goes in any gear, very pleasing to drive, can imagine the corsa is the same. Unfortunately the annoying side of this, my old man thinks its faster, just cos he's not drove mine properly, and he won't take any review, fact or opinion into consideration lol.

Lol, my other half has a Mini Cooper S, the R56 Turbo model.

Theyre re little pocket rockets! The turbo is slightly smaller on them than the corsa iirc and (I'm lead to belive) they have a 360 bearing in the turbo as standard, allowing the quicker spool, and it shows with the low down power, you have almost full boost by 2-2.5k Rpm. Runs out of puff by 6k whereas the corsa will still pull to just under the 7k mark.

The Clio's are so fun with having to work them so hard, almost redlining every gear to get the full power and they do sound lovely on the top end Rpms.

Its entierly down to what you enjoy.

as good as the reviews are, i just dont like the look of the Fiesta at all

I said this to. Have now had one for a year lol.

I had a Corsa VXR back in the day (2007) however think I got a Friday built car ie. not too reliable. Still love them tbh.

Though, im a whore for super mini hot hatches. Corsa VXR, Twingo 133, Clio 200 and now Fiesta ST.

I had a Corsa VXR back in the day (2007) however think I got a Friday built car ie. not too reliable. Still love them tbh.

Though, im a whore for super mini hot hatches. Corsa VXR, Twingo 133, Clio 200 and now Fiesta ST.

Would you take the Fez over all of them?

I'll always have a soft spot for my old AG 200. 'Twas the first car I properly modified and tracked.

I love the Fiesta tbh. It's a slightly comfiest version of the 200 (how the 200T should have been) but doesn't lack any of the character the 200 has. I'm now Revo stage 2 with it so it is considerably faster than the 200 now.

Lol, my other half has a Mini Cooper S, the R56 Turbo model.

Theyre re little pocket rockets! The turbo is slightly smaller on them than the corsa iirc and (I'm lead to belive) they have a 360 bearing in the turbo as standard, allowing the quicker spool, and it shows with the low down power, you have almost full boost by 2-2.5k Rpm. Runs out of puff by 6k whereas the corsa will still pull to just under the 7k mark.

The Clio's are so fun with having to work them so hard, almost redlining every gear to get the full power and they do sound lovely on the top end Rpms.

Its entierly down to what you enjoy.

i'm sure the boost dropped off around 5.5k. id have one, can get low miles one cheap, with an exhaust its sounds the shizz. I dont care who its made by but... it just has chav all over it lol

Bet I can beat you on VXR problems lol don't think there was anything they didn't replace at least once under warranty. Loved my VXR would still have it if wasn't for my warranty running out x

did consider a vxr and a ctr but the corsa for me was over styled and the ctr just a bit to expensive..hence the 197 which was £££ vs performance unbeatable!

I must be the only one that is slightly "underwhelmed" with the st..

[MENTION=3501]MarkCup[/MENTION] loves his St.

And clocked up a fair bit of mileage too