Dreaded 4th gear crunch

Hi copse & Deany I Had my prices back from Renault.
I was quoted £3631 for a New gearbox including clutch & £1868 for a reconditioned box from the factory including clutch. It was another £135 to include the slave, part cost only as labour is included in original price.
Lucky for me they have offered to cover 60%, but this is Renault number ten for us. Renault have been very efficient to deal with, I may be a bit biased by the favourable outcome.

So finally got the car back from the dealer today.
New gearbox, clutch and slave cylinder, new rear discs and pads and handbrake cable! Took four and a half working days.
Drove gently back home and all feels good.
Generally impressed with the dealer who carried out the work. Only criticism is that the invoice was a bit confusing and they didn't do a good job of cleaning the car - dirty sponge marks on the boot so dirtier than when I dropped it off.

So a brand new 197/200 gear box etc is over £3500! I take it people on here who get told to fack aff by Renault use reconditioned boxes or something then instead?

christ. im just avoiding 4th gear, seems to be working well, no crunches :wink:

deal with mine later in the year when i've got some money.

[MENTION=52440]chris mcm[/MENTION]
New gearbox for my 200 was £2370, which includes slave cylinder. Renault paid half. Clutch was £219 extra.

Last edited:
I'll give everyone a massive TIP regarding there clios / boxes.

bleed the clutch cylinder and put fresh fluid in them! If think have box problem might not! If just want improve gear changes its a smiple thing to try!

Hey Guys,
had my MK3 Cup for 6 months (22000 miles/4 years old) and the crunch started last week. Booked the car in at Renault Weybridge on Tuesday 12th May not knowing what to expect. Got a call later the same day saying it needs replacing. The warranty rep came out on the 14th and agreed it needed replacing. Called me and agreed to do the work under warranty for free. Picked the car up on the Friday with new box, cleaned inside and out, refurbished rear brakes with new pads and all for the price of zero.

they were the best people I have ever dealt with and not just regarding cars. Amazingly the day I took the car in was the last day my warranty was valid. Huge thank you to Mark, the service manager, Wendy and Rob in the showroom. Can't stress how good the service from there is!

Hey Guys,
had my MK3 Cup for 6 months (22000 miles/4 years old) and the crunch started last week. Booked the car in at Renault Weybridge on Tuesday 12th May not knowing what to expect. Got a call later the same day saying it needs replacing. The warranty rep came out on the 14th and agreed it needed replacing. Called me and agreed to do the work under warranty for free. Picked the car up on the Friday with new box, cleaned inside and out, refurbished rear brakes with new pads and all for the price of zero.

they were the best people I have ever dealt with and not just regarding cars. Amazingly the day I took the car in was the last day my warranty was valid. Huge thank you to Mark, the service manager, Wendy and Rob in the showroom. Can't stress how good the service from there is!

Very good to hear that Renault and the dealership have treated you so well. There are some good dealerships out there and I think it's great to promote that when we have a good experience from them.

There certainly are good people out there, shdme to hear about the bad ones but good to mention the good ones when it happens.

Hey guys in need of some help also m, my box same again crunching 3rd and 4th there is also from time to time a horrific whine coming for the box in 1st-4th terrible whining what could this be? It's only occurring once the car has heated up or after a good 30-60 mins of motorway running, I've had 200"s before but this one its 24k on clock and 61 plate any suggestions new box altogether?

Also does this when idling and goes away once you press down on clutch?? The crunching fine it's the whining I can't deal with and sounds like it's really doing damage heard the fly wheels are built proof and kinda ruled the realise bearing out?