Dreaded crunch into 4th

H2XBY

Paid Member
My car has started to crunch into 4th.
It's 3 months out of it's manufacturers warrenty has done 31,000 miles. Its covered by an Evans halshaw warrenty from when I bought the car (2 months ago) but they'll only cover the first £500 per claim.

Its booked into into evans halshaw renault in Sunderland on Tuesday to diagnose the problem.

Has anyone had any dealings with this garage? How do you go about speaking to renault Uk about changing the box?

Thanks
Ian

Not used that garage but depending on your and the cars history will depend on how much support renault will give you also how much you have used that garage.

I have good renault history, car had full main dealer history and was 6 weeks out of warranty. I paid £220 with a new clutch. A clutch is £220 circa retail and circa £135 trade.

Hopefully they will provided enough support to cover it bellow £500. Renault charge circa £2100 for a box replacement.

Regardless you would be well advised to put a clutch in even if you pay for it but i would push the point that it is good practice and you don't want to risk clutch contamination on its removal and re fitting.

A new box will come with slave cylinder btw

Thanks for the reply!
The car has full renault dealer service history. I'd happily pay for the new clutch it's just the gearbox that I'm not too keen on paying for.

Thanks again I shall see what happens on Tuesday

31k rediculas to fail at that mileage....

seems as if the later gearboxes fail more than the early ones!

06/56/07 seem less prone to failures...

They will make you pay as it acts as your warranty. its just how much. Provided its less than £500 your laughing as the warranty will cover the rest.

Yep mines crunching in 4th now brand new box £2000 renault factory refurb exchange unit £1200 plus the slave cylinder £150 new clutch £186 then fitting 4.5 hours at £60 an hour but I have extended warranty so only gotta pay only the clutch . Warranty will only pay for factory refurbished as my claim limit is £2500 . Cars done 43k.

Last edited:
shocking, I'd love someone to actually challenge renault regarding ther w*nk gearboxes, its a shame because the 197/200 are good motors yet let down by the boxes used

Finally had some good news from Renault UK!
They are going to pay 85% towards the new gearbox so that leaves me to pay £302 towards it! Pretty happy with that! Id be even happier if it hadn't broke in the first place tho! :thumbsup: