Definitive list of must have cleaning products.

Well where to start lol...

I know everyone has a different opinion on their 'ideal' car prep methods, so this is just my take on it all, it is by no means gospel lol! :tongue_smilie:

I use 2 buckets, one for soap and one for rinsing
Heres something I mentioned over on 133.net, bestowing the need for two buckets and idealy a grit guard...

Quite a few of you will have heart about the now legendary TBM/2BM and thought what a load of :tongueout:inky: ....

Having just had a look back through some of my pics, I re-found this shot, taken after a wash. One glass from the rinse bucket, so the stuff coming off the car. The other from the soapy wash bucket, so the water and soap going onto the car.
DSCF0027.jpg

This wasn't pressure washed off first, as the P/W was broken. However, it was foamed with a Gilmour and hosed off before the wash to remove the easy to shift looser stuff.

Dunk the mitt into the soapy bucket, picking up a good portion of soapy water onto the panel. Wash a section, then rinse in the rinse bucket, rubbing against the grit guard to brush off anything. Wring out the mitt to remove as much mucky water and therefore small particles of dirt, then repeat.

The manky looking water was actualy taken from the water above the grit guard, not including the realy horrid stuff lurking at the bottom of the bucket.

Of all the detailing/cleaning products avaliable, a second bucket and grit guard are probably the best value for keeping wash damage to a minimum. You can however spend a packet on correcting any damage.

I use Poorboys wheel sealant on alloys and its amazing. I take wheels off every few months, clean them thoroughly and then apply 3 coats of poorboys wheel sealant. Makes them look really slick and gives them a layer of protection against brake dust, dirty and general road rubbish. Highly recommend!

1. Forget all autoglym crap stuff.

For mainentace wash:

1. ) Bilt-Hamber autofoam and snow foam lance
2. ) Good guality shampoo, for example b-h autowash or dodo btbm.
3. ) Good guality wash mitt, throw all brushes and sponges to trashcan

For proper basework before waxing:

1. ) Wash car with pineline or surfex hd
2. ) Spray tar remover in panels, let effect 5 minutes then rinse off
3. ) Spray iron-x, let effect 5 minutes and then use little brush to clean irons.
4. ) Clay with soft claybar using lubricate.
5. ) Wash with washmitt and good guality shampoo
6. ) Dry with good drying towel
7. ) Do Isopropanol alcohol wiping in panels
8. ) Apply wax or similar coating.

My clio 197 detailing, in Finnish but take a look pics:

http://pesukinnas.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1697

Last edited:
I will be able to add to this list very shortly as i have my own brand on the horizon that comprises of an all in one foam/shampoo/wheel cleaner/degreaser or what ever you want to make from the concentrate....a sealant that will rival any other other....QD...metal cleaner....de odouriser etc etc.....

Watch my section for updates....

Everyone prefers different manufacturers so there is little point saying one is better than the other because its purely down to opinion unless you can provide proof as to which is better.

Personally I use as much Autosmart stuff as I can because I find it works really well and buying in bulk makes it cheap.

Gtechniq sealant (used on all exterior/interior) is the best £400 I've spent on a darker/black car. Car looks clean when it's dirty!

Dodo Juice have just released a new range of Nano-ceramic coatings.

There is Supernatural Infinity Paint Sealant, Supernatural Quartz Trim Sealant and Supernatural Wheel Sealant.

Their durability is amazing, with Dodo Juice saying that Infinity lasts 1-2 years and the trim sealant and wheel sealant lasts for over a year.

Dodo Juice have just released a new range of Nano-ceramic coatings.

There is Supernatural Infinity Paint Sealant, Supernatural Quartz Trim Sealant and Supernatural Wheel Sealant.

Their durability is amazing, with Dodo Juice saying that Infinity lasts 1-2 years and the trim sealant and wheel sealant lasts for over a year.

TBH I hope their trim sealant lasts a week is better than Gtechniq C4. What a load of sh*te that is, £20 and it peeled within a week! My trims look worse now!

Used the autoglym detailing clay bar then the HD cleanser and then the HD wax which gave the best results I've had from detailing a car! I use meguiars tyre shine just can't see past it then meguiars #39 and #40 on the all plastic and rubber trims looks so good :smile: happy days

yeah I recently changed my view on these mitts after using clay bars for years ,the beauty about these mitts is the speed I clayed my 197 in about halh an a hour were as with aclay bar and lube it took me about 5 hours .Halfords sell g3 body prep shampoo which is a realy good product and you use that as a clay lube its realy impressive and i'm now totally converted to a mitt
Well I used the last time I had a car worth looking after: which is a while ago I might add. I used to use Autoglym super resin polish and then finish it with Extra gloss protection. That combination seemed to work well. Normally, I just used a normal halfords shampoo or similar with a sponge. (I am old school)

I keep hearing about clay, mitts, and stuff and find myself a bit lost.

Maybe people can explain WHY they use the products they do?

1 year bump :smile:

but this product is a must for anyone with a bug problem!

Thought I'd leave a quick review on 'chemical guys bug bugger' as titled on cyc, however when it came it's called 'bug and tar remover'

Since owning a LY car ive noticed a massive increase in the amount of bugs I get on the front bumper, really bothering me as they are stubborn to get off. I had some AG bug remover in my cleaning pantry but it didn't do a great deal to help get them off, only scrubbing removed them.

I bought this product as it had a couple of solid reviews on cyc so thought I'd give it a punt. Driven it a lot this week so it was caked in them at the front. Product recommendations reccomend 1:3 but i just sprayed a couple of squirts neat on the front, being as it came with a sprayer and it was late and didn't fancy making up a bottle.

It is absolutely fantastic. I left it to dwell for about a minute and then proceeded to wash the front with a mitt. They all came off with ease. I will try it diluted next time to see how it is but ive used such a tiny amount and they are all off and it's reletivley cheap I don't know if I will bother.

Highly recommended particularly if you have white or yellow or any other light colour.

Even after a quick blast in the evening, the front of mine is covered in bugs... I might have to get some.