Declan's Non-Sport Progress Thread.

Right.. I've introduced myself in the newbies lounge, But i'll go on and tell the same stuff here to try and pad this out a bit.

My name is Declan, Trainee electrical design engineer, and before you all condemn me for buying a non sport, I've just sold my 182, I have a mk2 GTi 16v project and a 106GTi which has sat in the garage for the past few months.

I was looking at buying a 197, and selling the GTi's, but its went from a 5 mile round trip from home to my office, to a 45 mile round trip there and back. And being in the last year of my apprenticeship I'm not on amazing money at the moment.

I haven't got any pictures of my previous cars except my first car (1.2 8v mk2 ph2 clio) and my new car. I'll take some over the weekend though.

cliolow-1.jpg

Thats my first car, ended up getting broken for parts as it went in for the MOT and needed SO much work done. was on coilovers, helpers removed on the rear, had a straight through exhaust, enough LED's to light up the titanic, and 2 books worth of sticker bombing.

20120713_173049.jpg

Pick this up on Friday 20th. 1.4 Dynamique S, 37k, FSH, Getting a service before I pick it up and i'm getting the garage to do the cambelt.

A few parts arrived today, those being LED's to replace everything in the car, including numberplate and interior, all I haven't got yet is sidelights sorted out, also got a AUX lead to plug into the standard head unit, and a box of california scents!

Just ordered some pressed plates to go on the car, as well as some lamin-x for the fog lights and some carbon vinyl to do front and rear diamonds.

Had a play on photoshop and the plans are 40mm lowering springs (don't want coilovers) and want the rear wheels pushed out on 25mm spacers, and maybe the standard alloys sprayed anthracite, but preferably some 197 wheels.

PHOTOSHOP FRONT
plans.jpg
PHOTOSHOP REAR
media1copy.jpg

Haven't updated this, but been cracking on with a few bits and pieces until I get paid.

On the way home from the garage I bought it from, I got stuck in traffic, so took opportunity to change interior bulbs to LED's (501's) and then as soon as I got home, changed the number plate (501) and boot bulbs to LED's (c5w Festoon)
interior.jpg
boolight.jpg

Next thing I done was Debadge it, Autoglym Tar remover works a treat, I was left with a little shadow where the RENAULT used to be, that polished out with a little bit of effort.
debadge.jpg

Once the car was debadged, I decided that I would try and mix things up, so wrapped the rear badge in carbon vinyl, and also done the side bullets in carbon wrap and intend to put some Renault Sport stickers on them in white.
bulletsprogress.jpg
carbonbullet.jpg
badge2.jpg
platesandbadge.jpg

Then was pressed plates.
pressedplates.jpg
pressedplatelight.jpg

More progress to come. Front badge to be wrapped in carbon (hopefully leaving it on the car), Going to wrap some of the interior bits (just the silver trim across the dashboard, Not going overboard with it), and then next week its HID's, LED sidelights, fog lights and cornering lights, and maybe some lowwwws.

Last edited:
Carbonnnnnn'd the bullets, front and rear diamonds, and added a little touch of my own to the car. Yes it isn't a renault sport, but it's life, I like how these have turned out.
20120726_140724.jpg

Also popped one on the silver trim inside the car, on the lookout for a new glovebox also, as you can see, the door is beginning to sag on this one.
20120726_140338.jpg

From this:
20120727_163801.jpg

To this:
20120727_163752.jpg

NO MORE CARBON.....

Exciting updates to come next week!

I love a good non sport project, both here and CS. Back when i started driving i idolised 172s but had to make do with my mk2 1.4 Billabong lol. when i started sticking 4-2-1 manifolds and coilovers on it the whole of CS deemed it an utter waste of time, pillocks.

Anyway i digress, enough story telling :tongueout: I see potential in this car, i'd be looking for a killer stance myself. Very low with some stretched rubber around a nice clean euro design alloy, possibly 2 piece, Yellow fogs, bonnet bra and pressed plates.

Fresh :wink: Keep us updated buddy.

Thanks mate. I had a 182 and kept that standard, I'm happy with the performance of the mk3 clio, its a 1.4, but enough poke to get me upto speed, i've got the mk2 golf or 106 if i want an insane drive somewhere.

for a 1.4 its surprisingly nippy.

The plans are to get it low, but unsure about insane lows, as coilovers for the mk3 clio aren't cheap to be honest. first plans are springs and spacers, get the car sitting decent, then it'll be some decent wheels.

Coming from a VAG/DUB background I want to stay away from BBS and the likes, and I reckon some one piece large face wheels such as merc mono blocks would look perfect. If you could get 16" alphards I'd be all over that.

Got the cleaning bag out today, as had the car for a week, and beginning to notice a few scratches which I didn't notice upon first inspection, 75% of these have polished out nicely.
20120727_161742.jpg
20120727_152909.jpg

Just a bit of progress.

car3.jpg

A bit of whoring.
car2.jpg
Lows desperately needed.

LED Sidelights fitted without removing the bumper
leds.jpg

6k HID's fitted. Again, without removing the bumper.
hids.jpg

PS, If anyone wants HID's £48 plus postage and there yours

I was working on a new site, and there was a big building being demolished next to it, turns out I parked in the wrong place 100%
dust.jpg

fitted today: 60/40 springs and new droplinks. Couldn't get the old ones undone so cut them off and replaced them.

Pictures tomorrow! looks tonnes better!

Thanks mate. Next progress is...

1. A good clean
2. Lamin-x foglights
3. HIDs for foglights.
4. Spacers for rear (20mm)

Fitted 25mm spacers yesterday. Got a puncture today. Will have the wheel fixed tomorrow and put some photos on. Got a lot of plans coming up so keep an eye out

I've fell out of love with the Clio recently. But I think the passion is back. I get paid on Friday and the car is getting new pads and disks, then I'm going to crack on.

I'm wanting to focus on interior this month and I fancy doing an LED conversion, change the orange to white. I've had an idea for the centre console too but that is dependent on which parts are available.

January it's exterior time. Im torn between a sprint spoiler or getting coilovers and slamming it!

Looks well mate this was mine mk3 before I got the 197 I loved it would only sell it my brother in the end lol
dc48dab999e380ca98126132f1c34824.gif

That was mine lowered with 25mil all round spacer I also fitted the Sx kit but kept it non sport as I dint want to make it something it wasn't.

Your car looks well keep up the good work and welcome to the better forum :smile: lol