Death of Civic Type R in Europe!

This makes me sooo mad, and I don't understand, how is this 2.0 litre car worse than say a 4.8 range rover??? Surely that produces more carbony stuff

I think (only guessing) it's probably something to do with the emission per litre or something like that. And considering the Civic Type R puts out something like 215 g/km of CO2, that is quite bad for a 2.0 na engine.

A Range Rover 5.0 Supercharger puts out 348 g/km though, so I'm not entirely sure this is correct. But if you double the engine capacity of the Civic, it is still 1.0 behine the Range, yet is more than double the CO2.

Apparently it's something to do with the NOX emissions which make up part of the new Euro 5 emission rule. I am a bit skeptical that Honda cannot modify the existing lump to adhere to the new emissions rule, surprising as the CTR shifted numbers around 12,000 in the uk. Maybe a cost cutting measure as the current CTR would be sold worldwide.

More concerning that both 197's/200's and CTR's run off similiar naturally aspirated high power band engines - however we must assume that the 200's in production adhere to the new regs, as the current CTR run ends at the turn of the year.

Apparently it's something to do with the NOX emissions which make up part of the new Euro 5 emission rule. I am a bit skeptical that Honda cannot modify the existing lump to adhere to the new emissions rule, surprising as the CTR shifted numbers around 12,000 in the uk. Maybe a cost cutting measure as the current CTR would be sold worldwide.

More concerning that both 197's/200's and CTR's run off similiar naturally aspirated high power band engines - however we must assume that the 200's in production adhere to the new regs, as the current CTR run ends at the turn of the year.

true - not co2 - as that is directly proportional to fuel consumption ie 1 litre of petrol contains 2.28kg of co2 and diesel 2.63kg co2

euro 5 target is HC and NOX reductions but for petrol cars they arent a massive reduction so i think honda are just doing because a new model is due out next year
strange that the 200 fr4 engine can meet euro 5 but the ctr engine cant !!!!

saw a similar article on autotrader.

Wooly jumper *******s ruining it for the rest of us. Its only 20g/km more than the clio ... :s

so does thisa make the 200 the last "true" hothatch?

Oh right, makes for some interesting reading! Ha ha! Like you say, the current Civic is being binned at the beginning of next year anyway, so what's the point in going through everything for a couple of months sales! They'll probably make as many as they can now and just sell them as being in stock anyway I'd imagine. Is the restriction on Honda producing the model at the factory or selling it it their dealers? Or is it only selling specific models in the UK that were produced after the vehicle was subject to the new rule?

It might well be the end of the high reving 2 litre engine. Just like Honda, Renaults engine is the development of a 10 year old engine.

Last true hot hatch was the 182 Trophy! My view, of course!

I can't help but think the real reason for binning the type-r is that it wasn't as popular as they hoped. The previous type-r was considered one of the best hot hatches by most people but the new one never had this status.

They can't justify reducing the emissions for such a small scale production car. I'm sure we will see another civic type-r soon but with a small capacity turbo lump instead of the larger capacity N/A lump in the current type-r

I think the main problem with the type R is that it had a bit of an identity crisis. The engine is a firebreathing rev hungry monster, yet the body and interior are far more relaxing and more speedy cruiser than hot hatch. What they needed to do was with the engine bolt on a turbo or supercharger and give it more of a relaxed nature to match the interior.

The civic type r was the best selling hot hatch in the year it was released. If anyone can find the facts I d be willing to wager that the uk civic type r has outsold all other hot hatches on sale since its release.

Regarding the car itself, take a clio 200 and add the honda engine and gearbox. That being the mugen type r engine - 237 na wow.

It's a shame, the K20 engine was one of the great engines of recent years but times changes and it's a 10 year old engine now.

I was at Mugen HQ last month and chatting engines with the head of Mugen UK. Honda are keen to use hybrid technology in future performance engines. There will be a few years lag before the performance cars start hitting the market again.

Even with Honda moving to a 2.0L turbo for BTCC 2011 this would probably not see petrol turbo development at Honda to bridge the gap until performance pertrol/electirc hybrids are on the market as their BTCC engines are built by Neil Brown, based on the current K20 engine.

I'm still enjoying the B18 engine in my Integra Type R; 12 years and 125k miles later, it still puts a smile on my face when I rev it to 9000rpm on track.

It's refreshing to see a single marque forum without a blinkered view to anything other than Renault.

I owned a Civic Type R (2002 model) for two years and loved it apart from the electric power steering.

I agree with Arran about the latest model having an identity crisis. The engine didn't/doesn't suit the car in my opinion. I was disappointed enough to go out and buy a Focus ST. At least that had torque to propel the extra weight and toys.

The only models we don't like are VXRs! Lol! Its a pitty really that Honda are planning to bin thw Type R until hybrid is ready. Just bolt a charger on the 1.6 and be away!

The only models we don't like are VXRs! Lol! Its a pitty really that Honda are planning to bin thw Type R until hybrid is ready. Just bolt a charger on the 1.6 and be away!
Closest I got to a VXR was a test drive in an Astra VXR and VXR220 (which broke on my test drive). Wouldn't say no a VXR8 and a fuel card though.

A 1.6L forced induction engine is too small for a Civic, all the rivals are now 2.0 turbo units. The current crop for superminis are using 1.6 turbos well; Mini et al and the new Fiesta ST will be a 1.6 turbo too.

Sad times.

Although i thought Honda were potentially jumping on the turbo band wagon in future?

Small capacity to keep the hippys happy with low CO2 but the boost there to keep the power up... (and beyond)

Then again... the petrol engines days are numbered as it is.

must be honest been in 1 today for the first time
and was quite impressed, only as a passanger though

Similar Thread Suggestions